How important is work experience?

sje

I'm planning on applying to MPH programs in epidemiology for the Fall 2013 semester. I'm finishing up my BA in biological anthropology and have taken significant coursework in biology (general bio, genomics, biostats) and mathematics ( 3 semesters of calc, linear algebra, set theory and logic) as well as all my human evolution and physical anthro courses. I have a 3.89 GPA and am getting ready to take my GREs this summer. The problem is that I have no relevant work experience in PH and I'm afraid that, if I cannot find any, my application won't even be considered. I plan on applying to 3 programs, 1 of which requires experience, 1 that prefers it, and 1 that doesn't say anything about experience on the admissions website. My question is: how important, really, is work experience, and will adcomms deny an applicant based upon his lack of experience alone?

And, as an aside, are there any courses I should take during my last semester of undergrad? I have a few spots for electives and I'd rather take courses that will help me in the long run.

Work experience is extremely important. I would find a job related to public health this summer while you're studying for the GREs. I'm Canadian and I've been accepted to some school so far. I don't have a good GPA but I have many related experience in public health. I am sure US is similar.

Even if the work is not paid, if it has something to do with PH, it's a bonus. Try volunteering at an NGO. Find internship. Join a public health research lab. Speak to your health professors. Start a school club or join a school club related to raising awareness for PH related cause.

Good luck!!!

I doubt that a committee would reject someone on that basis alone (esp. for an MPH), but if you're applying to competitive programs then it would probably really help as there will likely be many candidates with work experience and good grades. You still have lots of time, so I would recommend doing some volunteer work if you are able. I have no health-related work experience, but I think the year or so of volunteer work probably helped to get me admitted. Good luck!

My thoughts are that experience is a great asset, but it doesn't necessarily have to be work experience. While I think the value of work experience to strengthen an application is large, it still falls under the embrella of showing an ad committee that you have a genuine interest in the field. Volunteer experiences, research experiences, extra-curricular experiences... can all be public health related and and help articulate exactly why you would succeed in a specific program; experiences of any sort play a large role in having defined one's skill set, one's career goals, one's emotional and intellectual curiosity towards a certain field. I myself had limited work experience in public health, but showed via other experiences why I'd be a great fit for the program I've been accepted to.

I would agree with what others have posted. I have been accepted to the MPH program at the U of T. Although my GPA is not the greatest, I have quite a bit of research and volunteer experience in public health, but next to no employment experience in the area. I think just being involved in the field regardless of whether it is in the form of employment, volunteering, etc. is extremely valuable. I also think a lot of consideration is placed onto the personal statement or statement of intent, as long as you can show how what you have done will help you and where you want to go with the degree in public health, you should be good!

I disagree... I got into a great epidemiology program with zero epi/PH experience. That doesn't mean I had no work experience but I came from an outside field and was wanting to break into PH. PH experience can be helpful but it doesn't make or break an application. It definitely should not keep you from applying.

One of the great things about PH schools is that they seem to appreciate diversity in the educational and professional backgrounds of their students. Your major and coursework seem fine in terms of pre-requisites. Take the classes you want to take and enjoy your last term!

Edited by Biz

I disagree... I got into a great epidemiology program with zero epi/PH experience. That doesn't mean I had no work experience but I came from an outside field and was wanting to break into PH. PH experience can be helpful but it doesn't make or break an application. It definitely should not keep you from applying.

One of the great things about PH schools is that they seem to appreciate diversity in the educational and professional backgrounds of their students. Your major and coursework seem fine in terms of pre-requisites. Take the classes you want to take and enjoy your last term!

Thanks for this somewhat opposing view--its encouraging and appreciated. It's nice to know that at least some people do get in without specifically PH-related experience.