Advice for New Applicants Thread

roxyshoe

So now that many of us have completed the admissions process and know our plans for the upcoming year, I thought a post geared towards the next season's applicants would be useful.

Let's post what we have learned, what we wish we knew before applying, regrets, things we are happy we did, etc.

Here is the advice I have right now:

#1 - APPLY EARLY. I believe this helped my applications to U Mich and U Chicago tremendously. I applied on the due date for first deadline for both of these schools, but I would even recommend applying well before the deadline if possible. These were the only two schools that I applied "early" to, and ended up being the two primary schools I chose between going to.

#2 - APPLY TO PLACES AROUND THE SAME TIME. I had no idea that MSW programs had a ~ 2 weeks response time to accept an admissions offer. This was rough since I applied to some places far earlier than others. I ended up having to rescind my acceptance to one school once I found out I got into another, which I still feel pretty bad about.

#3 - DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. I did this with every single one of my apps. Started and finished some on the due date, oops. I am guessing this has not helped with the schools I am *still* waiting to hear from, nor the schools I got rejects/wait listed at.

#4 - LETTER OF REC WRITERS. This is one thing I did right. I thought really hard about who would write the best letters for me before asking. I also sent an extra fourth LoR to some schools, since some schools I applied to required four letters, I figured I might as well to a few others that only required three. I think that really helped me.

The people I got letters from were:

- My boss at my teaching job from the past two years

- My German professor, who I took many classes with and did some volunteer work in Berlin with

- The PhD student I have worked on research with for the past four years

- One of my favorite professors, who I took two classes on psychology and creativity with and who is also a clinical therapist.

These were really good for me since I don't have much human services experience - they were able to show that despite my lack of volunteer experience, I have the personality and dedication to make a great social worker. My primary advice is to get a well-rounded rec's.

That's all I can think of for now. What other advice do ya'll have? It is of course also good to bring in different viewpoints/experiences with topics of advice :)

Great idea!

My $0.02:

I echo trying to time your applications just so, as the short time to respond for most programs was a bit of a surprise to me as well. Also, be prepared to have to make an admissions decision WITHOUT full financial aid information. Logistically, I understand why some programs do this, but at the same time... It kind of blows.

Be consistent in following up to ensure all your materials have arrived (call directly--don't trust the online application) and, if the program schedules interviews, to follow up within a reasonable amount of time after all your materials have been received. I ran into both of those issues; the former with Boston University, and the latter with PENN. If we lived in a perfect world, admissions offices would be tight, hyperorganized ships, but the fact is that admissions offices get clogged up, and you can help expedite the process by being more proactive.

Spend a lot of time on your essay. A lot. Be prepared to do a lot of writing, and to adapt your core admissions essay every which way for each school's requirements. I spent at least 3-4 months on my admissions essay(s), and had multiple people read through it and give feedback. I felt like the admissions essay was a great opportunity for self-reflection and realization on the decision you're making to pursue the MSW; bank on that. Free write, then hone in. Be genuine and passionate, not maudlin. Show, don't tell. Socialworkphd gives excellent advice in the link above.

Go nuts on a multiple-page resume. Some programs will lay out their requirements for the resume on their websites, giving you no choice but to push 2-3 pages; those that don't, still want to see all that relevant experience.

If you find a typo after submitting, even after proofreading a million times, don't jump out the window just yet. At one point, I found one in my essay ('my' instead of 'by') and one in my resume (a category heading was completely missing a letter!), and things turned out just dandy on my end. But please, oh please, don't address a different university in your SOP than the one you send it to. Also: Don't be afraid to tinker with your margins, just be reasonable (except I was totally not reasonable with Michigan, who only allots an insane 3 pages; an admissions rep encouraged applicants to be stingy with our margins, and stingy I was). Might also I recommend a nice space-efficient font like Garamond?

If you don't have an academic reference, don't stress unless you're just out of undergrad. I graduated in 2009, and my LORs came from the Program Director at my agency where I managed a community-based mentorship program; the Associate Dean of Students from my alma mater; and the advisor for the community service project I led during my undergrad.

While I'm hovering around the academic subject: Do your research of course requirements well ahead of time so that if you need to pop into a community college for a statistics or biology-content course, you have sufficient time to do so. UCLA was the thorn in my side, as they required a 'B' or better for stats, and I had taken it P/NP in college. Through a series of unfortunate events, I was actually unable to enroll in a stats class locally.. but then ended up being admitted at UCLA anyway? Though I'm sure it would have been conditional had I pursued enrollment.

Look for Idealist.org Graduate Fairs in your area, go to information sessions if you can... They're super useful, can help demystify the application process (this was especially true of Berkeley, who told you straight-up what they wanted out of their ridiculous prompts), and sometimes you can even walk away with an admissions fee waiver! Ask questions about average student aid awarded and student debt, so you know what you're (potentially) getting yourself into. I was dumb and failed to really do my homework on this front, and thus when the admissions decisions started rolling in, reality hit and I had to make some tough, but practical decisions.

Also: don't agonize over this forum too much ;)

I think my biggest piece of advice is don't fret if you haven't heard back from a school and a fair amount of time has passed. It took 7 and a half weeks for UGA to get back to me and I was accepted. Some schools are just slower than others.

Also, plan early in advance, such as what roxyshoe said, but not only your applications for schools -- applications for scholarships sometimes need to be in early too! I missed out on getting any scholarships at UGA because the application for scholarships had to be in around December whereas the application for admission wasn't due until April 1.

Early fall I think the application season generally starts. A lot of schools have early filing periods if you file maybe by December. The dates differ by schools. A lot of programs do information nights before applications are due and some of these begin as early as September/October. Go to them if you can and if not I think it is wise to make some kind of contact with the program you are appling to before you turn in your app to make sure the program feels like the right fit for you. Also the info nights give you a lot of tips about the application process at the particular school you are thinking of applying to. These days people do seem to apply to a lot of programs but, narrowing down your choices before you spend a lot of money on application fees is smart. I wouldn´t bother them right now though as they are probably still trying to finish admission decisions.

I agree with the resume info but do follow the guidelines for each school. For two apps I had to include particular things on the resume that they wanted. One asked for example to list the hours per week worked at each job and several other items I would not have normally included on a resume.

For the essay also make sure you check the directions and most will give you a max page length. For one I had to do a Q&A format and there's no way it could have been answered in three pages if you answered all the questions.

Ack! I am going to challenge the resume advice from BriefInterviews- don't go on and on. Let's face it, you don't have that much experience. Keep it brief. Long resumes look padded, and we notice. Keep it to a page if you only have a bachelors degree. Two pages if you have a masters and decent work experience. When you have a PhD you can go on and on. ;) We have piles of paper and we want you to keep it to the point.

AND, try really hard to keep your essays to three pages. It will help you stay focused, get rid of filler, and not bore the raters to death. We have a whole pile of these things to get rid of. I read every word of a three page essay. I skim for highlights in a six page essay. Succinct writing is an important skill in this field.

I agree with this statement. Professors will rather read an essay that is concise and straightforward than an essay that is unorganized and full of irrelevant filler. Remember this piece of advice in graduate school -- it will help you tremendously on short assignments!

I agree with the resume info but do follow the guidelines for each school. For two apps I had to include particular things on the resume that they wanted. One asked for example to list the hours per week worked at each job and several other items I would not have normally included on a resume.

For the essay also make sure you check the directions and most will give you a max page length. For one I had to do a Q&A format and there's no way it could have been answered in three pages if you answered all the questions.

I agree with this. While it seems that the general rule is to be concise, it is really important that applicants make sure they understand what each specific program wants. My program required the essay to be 6-10 pages double-spaced. They also had a very specific resume template they wanted applicants to use and stated that it should be as thorough and detailed as possible. I had to contact them, because thorough and detailed do not go along with my standard conception of a resume, but they told me that they wanted as much depth as I could give them, so that they could gather a better understanding of my experience and they stated that resumes for their program were generally at least 3 pages.

On the other hand, most of the programs that I researched had much shorter requirements, if they specified length. This is something that applicants should be careful about, because it is better to give the specific program what they want rather than assuming they will want the lengths that seem to be more standard. If a program doesn't specify page length, it doesn't hurt to contact them, just to get a better idea of what they are expecting.

Edited by 247crw

I should have been more specific, more accommodating. I totally agree with what's been said; clearly, I was drunk on my own words.

I agree that keeping it as terse is possible is wise, but I am no Hemingway and I gladly took my six pages for USC and Penn (I wasn't a jerk with my margins, though :P). Just putting it out there in the universe for my fellow logophiles ;)

Lo siento!

No te preocupes para nada! I think the info you shared was certainly helpful and gave people a chance to bring up new things in this thread. I think part of the application procedures seem to be geared at figuring out if you can follow directions and if you are resourceful enough to find out the info that you need. Every school is different. Some want longer SOPs and resumes because they want you to include everything they have asked for. Some want it concise.

Also just a tip- Some schools will check that you completed the SOP and resume correctly if you turn everything in by the early deadline and give you a chance to make adjustments.

My number one piece of advice is to contact the program and ask THEM for advice before applying. Don't be shy! I had a visit with the admissions director of the program I applied to/ will be attending, and I truly believe it enabled me to get in. In this case of this program (UC Berkeley), I was actually told that the page limits were not strict, and to feel comfortable going over them if I needed to to properly address the question (and I did, liberally). I was also advised to make sure I really highlight and draw connections between my resume and essay, and not assume readers will go searching for info or make those connections themselves. I don't think this means being repetitive so much as it means drawing a clear picture by referencing my interests, strengths, and experiences throughout. She basically said, when in doubt, don't leave it out, because this is your one chance to show the readers what you can bring to the program - don't make them guess! I also got a ton of advice about what characteristics I should highlight that the readers often like to see, and what to explain clearly (my reasons for switching from psychology to social work, for example). Another note I appreciated was to write for my audience - what do you think your potential future MSW professors would want to hear? Help them see what you will bring to the field, as well as what you can offer to their classrooms.

However, this is just one program. Don't assume it is the same for all (clearly, as is explained above, it isn't!). Ask for as much advice as you can get!

Three things:

1. Attend as many informationals as you can. This will allow you to get the insider track regarding what the program expects out of you and the application you will be turning in.

2. Turn your app in within the first 2-3 weeks of the application season. My first application season, I turned my app in on the last day - needless to say, I did not get it.. However, this go around, I turned my app in early and was accepted within 3-4 weeks after turning in my app.

3. Place a high-level of attention on your application and your personal statement. This statement allows the reader to determine if you have the writing stamina to handle the program. If your writing is not as strong as it needs to be, hire a proofer or solicit someone that can assist you.

Overall, I must say, relax and enjoy the process.

Three things:

1. Attend as many informationals as you can. This will allow you to get the insider track regarding what the program expects out of you and the application you will be turning in.

Along with that, attending online or in-person information sessions can provide you with tips on what the admissions team is looking for in an applicant. It can also determine whether that school is a good fit for your academic interests. Once you have this knowledge, you can write a stronger application essay and increase your chances of admittance.

Apply early because scholarship money is plentiful in the early rounds. Don't apply too late (after February). True story: A friend applied to a social work school in late February and received an acceptance letter in early April. She did not earn any scholarship funding for the first year of the two-year program because earlier applicants received a bulk of the offers. Do not fall into this trap.

Edited by michigan girl

Oh, I also agree with a professor that posted w/i this forum. He/she stated attend a state school because the education is just as good for less money. I initially applied for a school that cost 80k and the most they gave was 40k; therefore, I would have been so far in debt! Go Cal State!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread, and hopefully those who are contemplating applying or re-applying next year will find this helpful. I know some of what I'm going to say below may have already been mentioned above, but hopefully folks still find my advice helpful. Mostly, I'm going to form my advice based on what I wished I had done before applying:

1. Research, research, research. Start now! RESEARCH what schools you're interested in because EVERY SCHOOL VARIES:

a. RESEARCH deadlines: I found out at the last minute that CSULB and CSULA do rolling admissions, so the earlier you can submit your application, the better. I think folks even started submitting their application in October!

b. RESEARCH funding: If money is an issue, as it was for me, research beforehand the cost of tuition and the reputation/chances that the school will offer scholarships. For example: I've seen on this thread that a couple of folks have received a good amount of scholarships from Chicago, which I didn't apply to, but looking back on it, I probably should have applied. The average scholarships for UPenn are between 9-12k and for Columbia and NYU it seems like the average is 9k. Of course, each school will vary and you will not know how much money they will give you until you get in, but it's good to keep these averages in mind.

c. RESEARCH acceptance rates: Let’s face it; knowing what your chances are will definitely help you be more prepared both when filling out your application and emotionally. For instance, I read an article that stated that acceptance rates for Columbia are pretty high while UCLA and Berkeley only accept a little over 100 applicants (last I heard UCLA and Berkeley they receive about 600 applications a year).

i. How this helps you when applying: Knowing what your chances are, you will have a better idea as to how much time and energy you should put into each of your applications. In my case, I should have given more time/energy into my Berkeley application and probably less time into other schools.

ii. How this helps you emotionally: I was somewhat unprepared to find that I was flat out rejected from Berkeley’s MSW/PhD program, and had I known my chances beforehand, it not only made me reevaluate who I am as an applicant, but also made me realize that maybe a path down a PhD just isn’t my passion.

d. RESEARCH informational meetings: Go to the informational meetings or at the very least contact someone at admissions because you will definitely have questions about their program or their application process. This not only prevents you from having to spend hours on their website trying to find an answer to your question, but having that connection with someone at admissions not only helps you feel confident about your application, but it just puts your mind to ease altogether.

e. RESEARCH two year or part-time programs. I know USC offers a full, online, and part-time program and Cal States do this as well. If you have other obligations maybe a part-time program is better for you? Weigh your options.

2. The application itself:

a. Have at least three folks read over your personal statement: 1 person who got into the MSW field, 1 person who is a great writer who can check for grammatical errors, and 1 person who is not in the field.

b. If you can, read other folks’ MSW personal statement. This will give you an idea as to where to start. For instance, I always thought that a cool anecdote will help my application (make me stand out) but as I found out, you should probably get straight to the point, so I took out the anecdote and focused more on expressing what my qualifications are.

c. Experience with people: The Masters in Social Work is a helping field, so they are going to want someone who shows sympathy, empathy and just a genuine concern for the well-being of people, so you really want to make sure this is apparent in your application.

d. Many MSW applications ask that you pick a specific concentration – research the concentration of your choice and make sure to put WHY you picked this concentration in your application.

e. Mention the fact that you researched their program and write WHY their school fits your interests. For instance, I researched faculty at each of the schools and put in a couple of sentences of faculty I was looking forward to possibly working with who shared similar interests. Yes, this is even more research on your part, but believe me, it pays off.

f. Resume: A lot, if not all MSW applications, ask that you submit a resume. Ask folks to edit your resume as well. Think of it as a job application, so you want to make sure your resume is succinct and really emphasizes your past work/volunteer experience. Basically, take the resume section of the application seriously.

3. Do not give up! The application process is stressful. Here were some of my common phrases:

a. “What, the Cal State priority deadline is December 15th!? It’s December 10th right now!”

b. “It cost that much to live in New York!?”

c. “What’s this stipend that folks are talking about?”

d. “Man, I have to take the GRE’s again because I totally blew it the first time!”

e. “Dr. [Name of recommender] still hasn’t submitted his letter of recommendation!”

However, as stressful as it was the application process in and of itself is an accomplishment, and for those who are going to re-apply, you’re heading into it with so much more knowledge that I’m sure this time around will be easier. Again, do not give up! For instance, there was a time when I was thinking of re-applying and started to enroll in classes to better my GPA, and instead of applying to 7 schools, I narrowed it down to three schools, which would have made the application process a lot easier.

4. Take advantage of these forums! I found these forums extremely helpful and supportive because folks here are so nice and willing to help you because they are in the same boat! :) Take the time to read through some of the other topics and threads- you'll find that there is definitely good advice here!

Hope this helps and again, don’t give up and believe in yourself!

Edited by rjose

• 1 month later...

Long resumes look padded, and we notice. Keep it to a page if you only have a bachelors degree. Two pages if you have a masters and decent work experience. When you have a PhD you can go on and on.

This is tricky for me. I have extensive experience, have taken time off of school, have worked A LOT & volunteer A LOT. Plus, I have research experience (4 projects). There is no way I can slim it down to 1 page.

What gives?

This is tricky for me. I have extensive experience, have taken time off of school, have worked A LOT & volunteer A LOT. Plus, I have research experience (4 projects). There is no way I can slim it down to 1 page.

What gives?

While I concede to this advice in job applications, pretty much all the schools I applied to asked for all relevant experience since high school, or within the last several years.. Admissions reps said not to be afraid to push 2 pages. Still, I would hone in and focus on significant volunteer experiences; no reason to list everything under the sun.