Georgetown Strengths/Weaknesses

Well, this hit me much harder than I thought it would.

This is the end of the road for GPPI and me. I have a super generous funding offer from another school. (It's not official yet; hence, my inability to provide details.) I would have liked to attend GPPI. But, I just can't justify the 80K difference, even though GPPI is probably worth it.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this hit me much harder than I thought it would.

This is the end of the road for GPPI and me."

Wow linden, from what I recall of your profile, I'm really surprised you're not getting some kind of award. I wonder if they're short on funds at GPPI this year. Anyway, be thankful you already have another good offer lined up.

I never received the email either. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was hoping for at least a half-tuition scholarship. That would have made GPPI financially doable. Now, I'll have to side with Linden and say that it's looks prohibitively expensive.

I'm not completely giving up on them though. I will still probably attend the open house, and I'll probably call the admissions office at some point and ask if there are any other opportunities for funding (fellowships, work study, etc.). I've never been to D.C., so this will at least give me an opportunity to see if it's a place I'd like to live and work eventually. All that being said, I imagine I'll end up elsewhere for grad school.

And I'm really kicking myself right now for not applying to GW.

Finally, does anyone else feel like GPPI could have handled all this a little better? Like, if they had sent an email notification to the people who didn't receive funding, wouldn't that have made this process a lot less painless for you? It would have for me at least.

And good luck to policy_applicant and whomever else on the board got an email. Things are looking very good for you.

mpp2011:

Like you, I do think it is worth it to at least find out if they will have other rounds of funding. I also agree that it would be better if they also sent emails to students who did not receive funding and provided confirmation regardless of the outcome. The situation last night was very confusing. After all, it is entirely possible (although unlikely) that some of us are still in the running but did not receive emails.

mpp2011:

Like you, I do think it is worth it to at least find out if they will have other rounds of funding. I also agree that it would be better if they also sent emails to students who did not receive funding and provided confirmation regardless of the outcome. The situation last night was very confusing. After all, it is entirely possible (although unlikely) that some of us are still in the running but did not receive emails.

What a weird situation with the emails. I think everyone should stay hopeful at least until next week. I wouldn't assume you're out of the running until Georgetown has actually sent out some emails with good news.

Plus, I had some wind taken out of my sails last night after finally receiving my acceptance letter to a certain other DC school that designated me an alternate for fellowships/assistantships. Talk about the end of the road....I'm currently sitting on two unaffordable acceptances, so I'm really praying for a good GPPI award (though now with a little less confidence).

Anyway, I'm sure someone on this board will get money from GPPI, at which point we can assume that no email within the day means no scholarship. Until then, though, chins up, people!

I appreciate the sentiments above, but I really think that if I were still a candidate, I would have received an email yesterday. The email said "You can expect an update on your status via email Friday, February 27th. Only students awarded scholarships will receive emails." I didn't receive a status update yesterday, so I'm assuming that I won't get an award. So at this point the best thing I can do for my state of mind is assume that this round of funding didn't work out, and if I do get an award, I'll be pleasantly surprised. In my opinion, false hopes only prolong disappointment. Mentally I'm moving on and thinking about other opportunities for funding.

This is merely my outlook on the situation. I do not want to repeat yesterday's anxious waiting.

I cannot confirm or deny anything until I have an official letter in hand. And, I applied to other schools besides GWU. :wink:

I guess now that 24 hours have passed since yesterday's email affair, I am feeling more upbeat and positive. I was really just really in a sour mood because this was my first "rejection" of the season. And, yet, I already have a great opportunity at a wonderful program that I am actually quite excited to attend.

mpp2011, you do bring up a good point. Nevertheless, I plan to call GPPI next week to confirm that they sent out the emails to everyone who was supposed to get one. I will let you know what they say. Policy-applicant, I wish you a generous GPPI offer. :)

Linden,

I may still be in a slightly sour mood myself, but vastly improved compared to early yesterday evening. I think that phone call next week would be prudent -- let me know how it goes. I may make one myself, if only to discuss funding alternatives. I'll keep you posted.

Well, people, it looks like scholarship emails are finally going out. I got $12,000/year, which works out to about 36% of tuition. That makes Georgetown at least financially competitive, but still pretty expensive. Something also tells me the offer's not quite as good as the one linden netted from an unnamed competitor.

Did anyone else receive an email?

I saw a thread from last year, and there was a second round of scholarship decisions, so don't panic.

I sure hope so! I finally received an admission email on Saturday from Georgetown. :) Keeping my fingers crossed for a "second round."

Congrats on your scholarship, policy_applicant!

congrats policy applicant!

I got a scholarship email today as well, $10,000, which definitely makes Georgetown just a bit more realistic financially. I was in the "sad on saturday" crew that didn't get any notification at all on friday. feeling a bit more chipper now... :wink: maybe good things do come to those who wait...

ditto on the above...got my notice today after zilch on Friday. 10k also. have to say I was hoping for better since it's one of the pricier schools and in an expensive town, but maybe they have separate funding through assitanceships/work study programs on top of the scholarships.

Anyway, seems like the notices are coming out sporadically, so I doubt anyone is out of the running yet.

ditto on the above...got my notice today after zilch on Friday. 10k also. have to say I was hoping for better since it's one of the pricier schools and in an expensive town, but maybe they have separate funding through assitanceships/work study programs on top of the scholarships.

Anyway, seems like the notices are coming out sporadically, so I doubt anyone is out of the running yet.

Wow, the plot thickens. You can imagine my surprise that people who didn't get emails on Friday got awards today. I wasn't so lucky, but who knows, maybe tomorrow? At this point anything seems possible. But again, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Seems to me like GT would be worth it with the $10-12K scholarship if you didn't have a better offer from another top program (or another program in DC) and you didn't have to take out any cost-of-living loans.

Congrats to all of today's winners, and may there be more tomorrow!

Ditto on the 10k from G-town and good luck to anyone still waiting on their responses. I must say that I think their handling of the scholarship thing was pretty poor - no apology or anything. Also, even with 10k (or 12k), the G-town program is more expensive than GW assuming no merit aid from GW. I'm not really sure how they figure their education is worth 13k more than GW (the difference in cost estimates is largely in the tuition) nor, frankly, how they get away with it! Why do people go there over GW? Should the grad student market sort this out?

Well, I ended up getting the email, too. The amount was more or less the same that everyone else received. After I had given up all hope. Congrats to everyone. And, those who have not received the email yet, really, don't give up yet. (Plus, there was a snowstorm yesterday, and G-town didn't even open until noon.)

Now, comes the hard question: Is G-town worth $40K in loans? I think I said earlier I might be willing to pay up to $50K in loans for GPPI, but now I am not so sure. Who here is willing to take on between $40K and $50K for GPPI? I know that level of loans is affordable; living frugally, you can get these puppies out of the way in five years. I just don't know if the difference is worth it. What are your thoughts?

Did anyone else here apply to the MPP EP (evening program)?

I wonder if there will be any money left over at the end for us. They say on the website there is no scholarship money for EP students but maybe that's just to scare people away (I can dream, can't I?) :)

Well, I ended up getting the email, too. The amount was more or less the same that everyone else received. After I had given up all hope. Congrats to everyone. And, those who have not received the email yet, really, don't give up yet. (Plus, there was a snowstorm yesterday, and G-town didn't even open until noon.)

Now, comes the hard question: Is G-town worth $40K in loans? I think I said earlier I might be willing to pay up to $50K in loans for GPPI, but now I am not so sure. Who here is willing to take on between $40K and $50K for GPPI? I know that level of loans is affordable; living frugally, you can get these puppies out of the way in five years. I just don't know if the difference is worth it. What are your thoughts?

It's okay, linden, you can say you got more than the rest of us did. :wink:

I'm with you on the debt thing. I made a spreadsheet yesterday with the Georgetown tuition/fees/cost of living minus the scholarship and my savings. Needless to say, the number is pretty daunting.

I didn't receive the award today, but I got one of the essay prompts for scholarship consideration today. Looks like their going through a second cycle. I didn't apply until Feb 1, and was only admitted last week. However, they gave me plenty of time to get the essay to them (a whole 46 hours...).

I didn't receive the award today, but I got one of the essay prompts for scholarship consideration today. Looks like their going through a second cycle. I didn't apply until Feb 1, and was only admitted last week. However, they gave me plenty of time to get the essay to them (a whole 46 hours...).

Congrats, number35, and good luck!

By the third round it's going to be, Please submit your essay by the end of the day.

Congrats, number35, and good luck!

By the third round it's going to be, Please submit your essay by the end of the day.

!!!!!!! Or more likely, "Congratulations, you have been chosen for scholarship consideration. Unfortunately, the essay you didn't know you were supposed to write is due yesterday, and therefor we cannot consider you for an award."

hahahahaha