Georgetown Strengths/Weaknesses

Any MPP applicants here.. got an admit e-mail yesterday... have also asked to be considered for scholarship ( I was told when I shecked initially that MPM students could apply for scholarships too..).. any thoughts on how this could work.. given that this thread seems to suggest that scholarship decisions are going to be made very soon (if not already!)

That probably explains why they're jerking us around so much. There's another wave of applicants that GPPI wants to consider for scholarships and they don't want to make any decisions until they consider all the statements together. Sounds like you have as good a chance as any of us, pritinsp.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a relief. I didn't realize that they had postponed announcing the scholarship decisions. I only was given two days notice to write the short statement, so I thought maybe I blew it with the statement. Im glad there's still a chance!

I just received an e-mail from GPPI with a scholarship decision - they were supposed to send those ages ago! Its all quite confusing. Anyway, they only gave me $5,000...I really don't think I can afford that. :(

Two things happening:

a. mild panic (haven't received an "email")

b. near-total disinterest (does Georgetown think 5k will convince anyone to go there, tuition is like $476,000/year!)

I never even got an email about the scholarship essay. I sure can't afford to pay everything there.

When do you get the admit email? I went through the 2nd round of scholarship consideration, they might be planning more. But at this rate, 5k doesn't help too much. I mean, not enough to sway a decision I shouldn't think...

Finally heard from Georgetown--I'm in! But the email doesn't say much of anything about funding, except that I'll only hear if I get it. No mention of when they plan to notify, no request for an additional essay or anything like that.

I was hoping it had taken so long for them to accept me because they were taking their time and putting together a fantastic funding package (we can all hope, right?). That seems much less likely now. I'd seriously consider doing a campus visit if I thought I stood a shot at decent funding. Guess I'll just play wait and see for a little while.

I never even got an email about the scholarship essay. I sure can't afford to pay everything there.

Neither did I. I was particularly disappointed because I had considered it in my top two. However, with no funding it pretty much makes it enitrely unaffordable. I just dont see how I can get decent packages from other schools and then not even get the essay here. I would've liked to go.

On a positive note, congratulations to those that just were offered an admission and those that received their funding news this weekend. :)

Hi

Are there any applicants to the MPM program at GPPI (its a 1 year program).

Does anyone have any idea on whether MPM students stand at a disadvantage compared to MPP students based on reputation of the programs?

I applied to MPM since i had 6 yeaqrs oif work experience and just wanted to fill knowledge gaps (since i already have a MB

During the information session I attended, they mentioned that all opportunities available to MPP students are available to MPM students too...

but i guess the real question is... is the MPM as highly regarded as the MPP from georgetown..

any inputs appreciated!

Neither did I. I was particularly disappointed because I had considered it in my top two. However, with no funding it pretty much makes it enitrely unaffordable. I just dont see how I can get decent packages from other schools and then not even get the essay here. I would've liked to go.

On a positive note, congratulations to those that just were offered an admission and those that received their funding news this weekend. :)

No kidding. Georgetown is definitely near the top of my list, but I'm not sure that it will be worth financing the entire thing considering some of the other financial packages I've received. Looks like I might be doing the Carnegie Mellon Heinz College DC track program - which does look neat! Just a bit disappointed that Georgetown might be off the table.

So who here has not heard from the MPP program at Gtown besides me?!?

I am just curious and antsy since I am still waiting to hear back from them as well as KSG.

I haven't either. More than a month ago I received an email from Emmett Griffin saying that I should have received a decision in about 2 weeks. Since then, no news whatsover... I emailed him back twice, and so the admissions office, and got no reply. Don't think there's too much to worry about though, as on the results page there's very few posts concerning the GPPI (MPP in my case).

I haven't either. More than a month ago I received an email from Emmett Griffin saying that I should have received a decision in about 2 weeks. Since then, no news whatsover... I emailed him back twice, and so the admissions office, and got no reply. Don't think there's too much to worry about though, as on the results page there's very few posts concerning the GPPI (MPP in my case).

Well I guess it will come when it comes, and I guess they are getting a ton more applications than normal. Just have to wait and see 8)

Well I guess it will come when it comes, and I guess they are getting a ton more applications than normal. Just have to wait and see 8)

I do have to say though, the delays and the overall unsatisfying admissions process has been sketching me out about Georgetown a bit. I mean, there's no email listserv for admitted students, no method for getting in contact with current students or alumni or posting FAQs. Their website is a disaster. Are there any current GPPI MPP students reading this that can testify to the quality of the program in general? Starting to feel like if the admissions office doesn't have their shit together, the rest of the GPPI administration might be just as disorganized...?

Hopefully a current GPPI student will jump in to provide some real insight, but in the meantime, as someone who went to Gtown undergrad and took a few classes at GPPI here are some thoughts. The admissions people have been pretty non-responsive and disorganized, but I never found to be the case with the staff and faculty I interacted with at GPPI. Again, not even close to an expert, but my experience suggests that the program is really strong, heavy on quant (you take 3 semester of it vs. 2 in a lot of programs) and very practice-heavy - both in having faculty that are former practitioners and movers and shakers from DC, and in the fact that a lot of students have part-time jobs or internships at nonprofits or government agencies.

It is expensive to live in DC - especially if you want to live in the Georgetown area - but still cheaper that the SF Bay Area where I am now.

Any actual GPPI students lurking in here that can help us out?

I do have to say though, the delays and the overall unsatisfying admissions process has been sketching me out about Georgetown a bit. I mean, there's no email listserv for admitted students, no method for getting in contact with current students or alumni or posting FAQs. Their website is a disaster. Are there any current GPPI MPP students reading this that can testify to the quality of the program in general? Starting to feel like if the admissions office doesn't have their shit together, the rest of the GPPI administration might be just as disorganized...?

I agree with this. I think I'm eventually going to have to decide between Duke and Georgetown. And Duke's been amazing with their e-group and constant updates and prompt replies. Georgetown has been unresponsive and vague, and I'm sure they have an excellent course, but this doesn't say much for how they regard their students.

I couldn't agree more with you splic. I'm really choosing between gtown and duke as well (they both offered me reasonable financial aid awards) and I have been very impressed by the duke staff and equally unimpressed by the gtown people. i have spoken with a bunch of professors at GPPI and they have all been excellent people who speak highly of their students. I think the education at GPPI is great. don't be spiteful - think about which place offers a better education. that's what you're paying for, afterall!

I couldn't agree more with you splic. I'm really choosing between gtown and duke as well (they both offered me reasonable financial aid awards) and I have been very impressed by the duke staff and equally unimpressed by the gtown people. i have spoken with a bunch of professors at GPPI and they have all been excellent people who speak highly of their students. I think the education at GPPI is great. don't be spiteful - think about which place offers a better education. that's what you're paying for, afterall!

I have not had the best interaction with GPPI. They don't respond to my emails, they take a really long time to return phone calls. I called to RSVP for the Open House 3 days ago, left my phone number, and still haven't been called back. I've had interaction with virtually every staff in schools I've been admitted and the people at Brown, Heinz College, Duke, Johns Hopkins, American, Maryland, LSE have all been really nice, responsive, and helpful. These things have really made an impression on me.