Georgetown Strengths/Weaknesses

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, thank you! Mine will likely be a little over a page single-spaced. I'm concerned that a lot of the scholarship money has been given away at this point, but I'm staying optimistic. Congrats on your admission and scholarship!

poodles123 and number35:

Congratulations and good luck! My essay ended up being right under 200 words, in case you're wondering if going shorter would be a problem.

So, when does the committee meet for your batch of applicants? And, when is the freak-out (i.e., announcement) day? I'll be sitting here, eating popcorn, reading your anxious postings flying back and forth, and thinking to myself, "Tsk, tsk. I would have never lost my cool like that." :wink:

policy_applicant:

I was chuckling about your spreadsheet. I think I have created about 24 different ones already. They are built on the most ridiculous assumptions and provide no useful information. But, they soothe me. :lol: At least we know that a field that focuses on quantitative analysis is a good fit for us.

poodles123 and number35:

Congratulations and good luck! My essay ended up being right under 200 words, in case you're wondering if going shorter would be a problem.

So, when does the committee meet for your batch of applicants? And, when is the freak-out (i.e., announcement) day? I'll be sitting here, eating popcorn, reading your anxious postings flying back and forth, and thinking to myself, "Tsk, tsk. I would have never lost my cool like that." :wink:

policy_applicant:

I was chuckling about your spreadsheet. I think I have created about 24 different ones already. They are built on the most ridiculous assumptions and provide no useful information. But, they soothe me. :lol: At least we know that a field that focuses on quantitative analysis is a good fit for us.

Anxious postings? Why would anyone worry themselves over such a trifling matter? :wink:

Ah...spreadsheets. They're my Xanax. While you guys are waiting, you should use Georgetown's acceptance rate, yield, and the 35%-40% figure they say they're able to fund and figure out what the odds are of getting money. If I'm bored later, I might just do this myself...

They said the committee will make scholarship decisions on the 6th and I will receive an update by Wednesday, March 11th if selected. I feel that I may be in the last batch, which doesn't bode very well for me getting much money from them. I had my application in at the end of December, but for some reason my official GRE scores didn't reach them until the end of February and I didn't get a decision until shortly after that. Very frustrating.

What's the high end of scholarship offering? I've seen a lot of 10k and 12k on this board. Has anyone received more than that? Thanks!

So, those of us in the second batch of scholarship decisions are supposed to hear today (Wed Mar 11). Not that I'm expecting much given how they flubbed it last time, but has anyone gotten an email or update?

I haven't yet either. Does waiting on the computer for an email increase my chances??? hahaha

No, but pressing refresh on your email is scientifically proven to make you feel better... or more anxious. I'm not sure which!

Has anyone heard when G-town is expected to notify admitted students? Also has anyone heard a date that G-town is expecting to have their open house for admitted students?

The Georgetown Open House dates are Friday, March 27 and Friday, April 3.

Fall 2009 Open Houses

The admitted student Open House dates are Friday, March 27 and Friday, April 3. This is a great opportunity to see GPPI first-hand and meet current students, faculty, and alumni. (Additional information will be enclosed with the admission letter.) If you are unable to attend an Open House, you are invited to arrange a separate campus visit. Please contact GPPI Admissions to make the necessary arrangements or if you any questions.

Nada, it's very disappointing. We can only hope they're late like they were for the last wave.

I called and was told that the decisions had not yet been released from the Scholarship Committee.

So, MSFS people, it seems, judging from last year, that acceptances/waitlists go out via email a week before snail mail rejections arrive in mailboxes. Food for thought.