Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm hoping to study Eduard Hanslick, a 19th century music critic who was extremely influential to Viennese culture. And a part-time ETA, which is why Austrian fulbrights can be so excellent.

but isn't it the coolest? As far as I know it is the only country that offers part time study/part time ETA -which couldn't have been more perfect for me and in a German speaking country - a dream come true.

I am hoping to studying linguistics at Universität Wien and then most likely fall into a linguistics or german graduate program back in the US (if I would ever come back ha).

Have you visited the university or Vienna before? I was just there this summer and absolutely fell in love with it!

Good Luck! I feel like we should hear soon.......!

Congrats to both of you--because I think I saw that you both got the Fulbright for Austria :)

Just so you know, while technically the teaching assistantship is part time for everyone, combined Full/USTA grantees (aka both of you) work the same number of hours/are doing the same teaching as us lowly USTA-only people. That is, assuming they haven't changed the program for next year, but that seems unlikely. One of my good friends here is a combined grantee and there are all kinds of extra perks (trips! balls!) especially if you're in Vienna. Get ready for an amazing year!

Congrats to both of you--because I think I saw that you both got the Fulbright for Austria :)

Just so you know, while technically the teaching assistantship is part time for everyone, combined Full/USTA grantees (aka both of you) work the same number of hours/are doing the same teaching as us lowly USTA-only people. That is, assuming they haven't changed the program for next year, but that seems unlikely. One of my good friends here is a combined grantee and there are all kinds of extra perks (trips! balls!) especially if you're in Vienna. Get ready for an amazing year!

I've never even heard of the combined until now!

I don't remember seeing anything about it on the Fulbright website, what is it exactly?

Edited by there'sanappforthat

I've never even heard of the combined until now!

I don't remember seeing anything about it on the Fulbright website, what is it exactly?

It's an option for Austria. Full/ETA combined. It's a great hybrid and a big reason I chose to apply to Austria and not Germany.

Oh, ok, I see it on the website. Other than the balls :), what are the benefits of doing a combined over an ETA or just a Full?

Well, applying for that specifically makes you more desirable as a candidate for Austria. But for me, I wanted to study as well as teach, and here you get to do both. It's just a unique opportunity.

I don't think so, but you could go check the google doc from last year and match it with an old calendar! I'm about ready to give up on hearing today too. :(

... I may or may not have already done that earlier this week! O:) I saw no pattern over the past 6 years and there was nothing on weekends.

For reference, it's as follows (for Germany ETAs):

04/04/07: Wednesday

04/11/08: Friday

04/02/09: Thursday

03/23/10: Tuesday

04/04/11: Monday

03/26/12-03/28/12: Monday - Wednesday

I checked for Full Grants as well. Again, no pattern and only on week days. Not sure about other countries though!

Edited by lowin

Can someone please post links of the old google docs? Thanks in advanced!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE&pli=1#gid=8

This should hopefully open it up to the "Past Notification Dates" tab, but if not, it is attached to the current Google Doc! If you look on the bottom, it lists notifications by recent years and also has a tab for a spreadsheet comparing dates since 2007.

looks like another day...... :wacko:

If we keep this up, we'll make every day seem extra important. It's a waste of time... this thread blew up with at least 15 posts before there was a notification for the Austria Fulbrighter.

I see 20 notifications about new posts, and the majority of the conversations are "I hope today is the day..." like every day. I'm not a very patient guy, but waiting patiently is the most sensible thing to do in my opinion.  

If we keep this up, we'll make every day seem extra important. It's a waste of time... this thread blew up with at least 15 posts before there was a notification for the Austria Fulbrighter.

I see 20 notifications about new posts, and the majority of the conversations are "I hope today is the day..." like every day. I'm not a very patient guy, but waiting patiently is the most sensible thing to do in my opinion.

To be fair, though, I think the reason a lot of us are here is because we're not particularly good at patiently waiting. I know I would've been freaking out every day with or without this forum, and it's nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing.

Edited by nainalerom

To be fair, though, I think the reason a lot of us are here is because we're not particularly good at patiently waiting. I know I would've been freaking out every day with or without this forum, and it's nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing.

Yeah, I totally agree. It's just that every day should not be a constant panic for some post/ers :) in my opinion. 

Just in case anyone was wondering, my email came straight from Austria, not through New York. I just thought since there were ideas coming through about all information being from the American end this year. So 10:30 am is actually late afternoon over in Austria.

Just a thhhought

Edited by ecoponophobic

Question... so I've applied and become a finalist for South Korea!

I am worried about all these tensions with North Korea... I have some offers from graduate schools. And if everything is about to blow up with N. Korea I dunno what I should do. :(

Any comments? Ideas?

Question... so I've applied and become a finalist for South Korea!

I am worried about all these tensions with North Korea... I have some offers from graduate schools. And if everything is about to blow up with N. Korea I dunno what I should do. :(

Any comments? Ideas?

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm currently an ETA in S. Korea and no one is too concerned  :P

Yes. Which is what I applied for.

Okay, thanks. Mine only mentioned a study grant, but I thought my chances of receiving a study grant alone as a graduating senior were very low, so I was suspicious.

And of course, Herzlichen Glückwunsch!

Good luck and best wishes to everyone still waiting! :)

Tristate and have a Fulbright forum denizens' party. And toast to ecoponophobic's recent success!

haha! awesome! Sounds like a plan! If nothing else, if we all make it, we should definitely meet up at the Conference in DC!

Not to be a downer but Germany ETAs don't go to the DC orientation :( Just an in-country one.

So..... Anybody else back to panicking for the weekdays? This week is mid-March! Eep.

I woke up this morning thinking, "tomorrow is Monday. I might know tomorrow." I'm suspecting that we (UK applicants) will hear by Friday at the latest, or that's what I'm telling myself to maintain my sanity... So tomorrow we have a 1 in 5 chance, right? Heh.

Hi all,

Feeling much better from the 'phoid now. Discharged from the Sri Lankan hospital, pumped full of antibiotics and trying not to vomit everywhere...

Ok, I've updated the spreadsheet with recommended and not recommendeds. If someone hasn't posted on the forum since prior to the first round notification, then they're considered "not recommended." If you've found I've edited you in error, please update!

At row 200, you'll notice statistics on those accepted/alternate/rejected etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

herp derp. Good luck!