Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Just got an email from IIE Beijing with paperwork to fill out for my *potential* host institution. 

"

Your proposed host institution participates in the Chinese Government Scholarship Program (CGS).  Under the agreement with the Chinese Ministry of Education that governs the Fulbright program in China, the Fulbright Program is able to nominate a certain number of Fulbright candidates for tuition waiver scholarships under the CGS program every year...it is required that all Fulbright grant candidates who are requesting an affiliation with a host institution that participates in the CGS Program submit their affiliation applications through this channel.

"

There's also a comprehensive list of majors offered in China. Some of the ones that are tempting me to sign up for just out of curiosity: National Defense Economics, Leather Chemistry and Engineering, Ethnic Law, Intelligent Decision-making & Knowledge Management, and Sericulture. Tons of other interesting-looking stuff. I guess it's a list of all gov't-approved majors.

I notice that out of all the 69 different econ majors none of them has anything to do with Marxism, though two of the law majors are Marxist Theory & Ideology Education and Marxist Ethnic Theory and Policy. 

I just got accepted to both Huazhong University of Science and Technology and Sun Yat-sen University under the CGS program to study Marxist Philosophy...super excited! Where in China are you going to be?

That's fantastic! I guess that would explain your presence in Kolkata, bastion of communists. ;-)    

(Kerala is good in that way too...) 

I would be in Nanjing if I get the Fulb, though I plan on traveling heavily through the Northwest - Qinghai, Gansu, Ningxia, and of course Xinjiang to dust off the ol' Uyghur. 

Did you just apply individually for that, like was this outside of the Fulbright application? Man I need to do that next year.

Congratulations! What do you think you'll do?

... That moment when discover that Germany Full Grant applicants have been notified on the Tuesday of this week in March for the past 3 years.  ... then that moment when you realize that today is Tuesday and 5PM EST is in one hour.....
Yep I was hopeful about today too since that's been the trend. Alas another day...

In the next 24 hours, I will hopefully find out my future life path. No pressure....gosh

2 roads meet at a crossroads, which do you take? The road less traveled or the only one in front of you? Or leaving the path entirely?

Edited by Anon314

Hey Eli -- fellow Finland hopeful here! Unfortunately, I haven't heard a peep since finding out I was a finalist, nearly two months ago. It looks like in the past few years, Finland applicants have heard back in the last week of March/first week of April. But with the news of some responses coming in earlier this year, I wouldn't rule out hearing back any time at all. Good luck to you!

In the next 24 hours, I will hopefully find out my future life path. No pressure....gosh

2 roads meet at a crossroads, which do you take? The road less traveled or the only one in front of you? Or leaving the path entirely?

Gosh, buddy. We said this 24 hours ago. 

Anon314, if you're channeling Robert Frost here, thought I'd share my high school English teacher's interpretation of the poem, which kind of rocked my world at the time: he argued that the crux of "The Road Not Taken" isn't that the speaker is trying to be original, inventive, different, hipster, et hoc genus omne, by taking the less-traveled path, but rather that, although we may be presented with myriad choices at any one time, the greatest of human tragedies is that we possess only one body and are forever limited in this life by the physical temporality of our own selves.  So, the fact that you can't accept both opportunities next year is a tragedy insofar as you remain bounded by space and time as a prisoner of your own body during your residence on Earth.  I always liked that interpretation, and it kind of applies to Fulbrights too!  :)

Edited by shibboleth12

Yep I was hopeful about today too since that's been the trend. Alas another day...

I received no news overnight, so the waiting continues. I emailed my contact there and he hasn't heard anything either. But, he is in China at the moment.

Good luck today! I am sending good thoughts out to every one.

Hey y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm an ETA for Germany and I've seen a couple other people here in the same boat. When I asked my FPA about dates that I would hear about an acceptance/rejection decision, she said we're supposed to hear back in mid-March but it could be as late as the first week of April. I don't know if that helps. Have any of the other German/European ETAs here heard anything from their FPAs?

Hey y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm an ETA for Germany and I've seen a couple other people here in the same boat. When I asked my FPA about dates that I would hear about an acceptance/rejection decision, she said we're supposed to hear back in mid-March but it could be as late as the first week of April. I don't know if that helps. Have any of the other German/European ETAs here heard anything from their FPAs?

I don't hear a thing from my FPA. I've just been going by past dates, so it could be any time now, or even as late as next month. I'm just trying to hunker down in case we have a longer wait than we think :)

Oops. I clearly need to have checked this site more in evenings

It's fine. We all feel pretty much the same way in terms of our readiness to hear an answer.

Edited by Books2readme

Well, I really have to admire your dedication. I don't know if I would have the gumption to do what you are doing! It's bad enough being a Dem in Indiana, I can't imagine what it's like in Oklahoma!

Thank you! I refuse to stop believing in helping people. That is why I want to go to Estonia to study the way they vote. If we can expand voter access in this state, maybe we can make some changes. I hope so anyway.

For all you German applicants out there, I email my FPA yesterday and he replied with this:

"Mr. Jackson said the Germany “batch” has not been finalized yet, so not hearing is not a bad sign.  ;-)"

Referring to a Mr Walter Jackson who's position is unknown to me.

So...not that it really means anything in particular.....or maybe it does. But probably not.

For all you German applicants out there, I email my FPA yesterday and he replied with this:

"Mr. Jackson said the Germany “batch” has not been finalized yet, so not hearing is not a bad sign.  ;-)"

Referring to a Mr Walter Jackson who's position is unknown to me.

So...not that it really means anything in particular.....or maybe it does. But probably not.

Come on Germany, where is your reknowned efficiency??

Nope... do you know if we're hearing directly from them or from IIE? thinking of time zones..

Nothing here either... I think I was notified at 12 pm for my interview and 4 pm for being recommended (ish) Edited by Anon314