Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

For all you German applicants out there, I email my FPA yesterday and he replied with this:

"Mr. Jackson said the Germany “batch” has not been finalized yet, so not hearing is not a bad sign.  ;-)"

Referring to a Mr Walter Jackson who's position is unknown to me.

So...not that it really means anything in particular.....or maybe it does. But probably not.

Walter Jackson is a Fulbright Program Manager and the POC for General Inquiries and FPAs. Our (German applicants) Program Manager is Cara Doble, if you're an ETA applicant you may recall getting an e-mail from her concerning your top three Bundesländer choices. Well, I guess the "no news is good news" is reassuring, but I'm a bit bummed that the "batch" isn't yet finalized as that seems to indicate a longer wait.

Don't fret, my friends. :)

Since there are only three spots in Estonia, there is not a committee. The State Department folks pretty much decide. I was told I wouldn't hear anything until their budget was finalized. Which means pretty much the end of the month.

I've never seen more over-analysis or speculation about time and date patters lol. Not that I'm not partaking.

Just funny.

I wish I had that kind of data! I am not even joking. I would love to have a general idea of when.

Here is what slays me: If we are accepted we are supposed to hear from our host country, in some cases. If we don't make it, then we will hear from IIE here in the states. So, does that extend our worry time until the end of the business day here?

I was told I wouldn't hear anything until their budget was finalized. Which means pretty much the end of the month.

It wouldn't surprise me if this were the case for all of us... 

I think I've given up with speculation. That doesn't mean I don't make sure to check my email and the forums at 3 and 5 :>
Me too. I'm not trying to predict when I'll get it anymore, but I still check my email religiously. In other news, this thread is almost 100 pages long!

Yeah, if we are looking at how late the UK interviews were this year (almost two weeks later), it wouldn't surprise me if notification actually doesn't happen until later. The UK notifications were Monday or Tuesday for the past three years, and the interviews were all earlier, starting on the 7th, etc.

I think I need to breathe, stretch, shake, let it go. Crossing my fingers for all of us!

Oh, hey, just in case anyone is still working on their contingency plan, Groupon has a deal for online bartending classes! You dont' want to pass that up!!!

In all seriousness though, they have a TEOFL online course for $66, down from $200-something. I don't know if it is a reliable company, but it might be worth looking into for ETA'ers.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Oh, hey, just in case anyone is still working on their contingency plan, Groupon has a deal for online bartending classes! You dont' want to pass that up!!!

Ha. But actually, in all seriousness, I'd be curious to know what everyone's contingency plans are... anyone have good recommendations? I know some people are actually employed, but at least for those of us who are graduating senior/unemployed I'd be curious what everyone is going to try for as a back-up option?

Ha. But actually, in all seriousness, I'd be curious to know what everyone's contingency plans are... anyone have good recommendations? I know some people are actually employed, but at least for those of us who are graduating senior/unemployed I'd be curious what everyone is going to try for as a back-up option?

Um, mine is to help my boyfriend get back to and finish school. I plan on taking over as much of our rent, utilities, and grocery bills as I can while he goes to school and works a part time job. Not very exciting but it needs to be done!

I want to go back to school to get a masters in Speech Pathology, but I'd really like for him to finish his bachelors before I do that.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

I am applying to the graduate program at the university in Estonia. If I don't get the Fulbright, I feel passionate enough about my research to try to fund it myself. Also, I have a freind who has connections at the Brookings Institute; maybe they will be interested in the research also.

I've been offered a provosts scholarship at Oregon state u to study molecular biology (phd)! At this point I have no bad options, and I feel pretty fortunate for that.

Ugh. The worst part is that once people start to feel the benefits of universal healthcare, they'll do a 180 and pretend they supported it the whole time. Maybe not the tea partiers but definitely the moderates.

Yeah, if we are looking at how late the UK interviews were this year (almost two weeks later), it wouldn't surprise me if notification actually doesn't happen until later. The UK notifications were Monday or Tuesday for the past three years, and the interviews were all earlier, starting on the 7th, etc.

I think I need to breathe, stretch, shake, let it go. Crossing my fingers for all of us!

But they said mid March! This is mid-March! If I find out finals week I will cry.

Ugh. The worst part is that once people start to feel the benefits of universal healthcare, they'll do a 180 and pretend they supported it the whole time. Maybe not the tea partiers but definitely the moderates.

Uh, it's going to benefit a relatively low percentage of people and inconvenience and cost the rest of us more... I'd prefer not to start an argument on the subject, and there is clearly a case for universal health insurance (I'd argue there's already universal care, though the means and quality of it may be an issue in some cases), but it's very naive to believe the PPACA is going to be some panacea that insures tens of millions of additional people without costing more or overburdening the system (which is already a reality).

Edited by Ruluo

But they said mid March! This is mid-March! If I find out finals week I will cry.

I didn't realize there were 46 awards for the UK. Don't give up hope. I really think this budgeting mess and insecurity here is slowing the process.

I've been offered a provosts scholarship at Oregon state u to study molecular biology (phd)! At this point I have no bad options, and I feel pretty fortunate for that.

Btw, I meant to tell you this is amazing! I am humbled to even be entertaining the idea of being in a group with such outstanding folks. You all are remarkable! It gives an old dog like me hope. :)

If it's not too presumptuous, I think it would be prudent to suggest we steer clear of any sort of political discussions 'round these parts... Wouldn't want to disrupt the camraderie we've worked so hard to build over these last several months.