Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hi, I'm also applying to Russia. Do you know if this applies to both research grants and ETA? Also was this email sent out to everyone for Russia?   Thanks
Hi, no, I don't know whether it applies to ETAs as well. I applied for a full research grant, but I asked whether this affected the number of slots in each type of grant. I'll let you know if/when I hear back. It wasn't sent out to everyone, but I asked and got a timely reply. As of right now, the dates she mentioned are in line with previous years, according to the notification spreadsheet, so it's not like there has been a big, official change.

It's pretty comforting to know that I'm not the only one biting my nails down to nubs! Anyway, I was recommended for the ETA in Luxembourg and I was wondering if anyone had any information at all. What I've gathered from sussing through this forum is that there's been a squestration that's putting a hold on the process.

Anyway, any information about Luxembourg would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

Is it putting a hold on the process? Unless I'm missing something, I think people have just been speculating about that, but I don't think we've received official news that this is the case... but maybe I just didn't read the part where someone said that?

so, i want to join the google doc..... how do I do that?

Just go to this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE&usp=sharing

You should be able to edit it there without logging in. Or, you can sign into your Google account first and then open the link and it should save it in your google docs. But that's not necessary - you can edit it anonymously.

Epigenomics of spruce trees in relation to climate change at UMB (near Oslo). I hope there isn't a quota for biology-related projects! Good luck!
oh sweet! Also I just saw you're in Davis. That's my hometown! Anyway, I hope we both hear good news soon :)

Not hearing yet is really starting to bum me out. We're now two weeks past the notification date in Germany from the past three years.

I feel ya. I've started to think it's not gonna happen until the first or second week of April, which is actually a problem for me. I have to tell grad schools whether or not I'm going before April 15th. I was hoping to have some time to weigh options (assuming I get in, of course).

Although, didn't decisions go out on the 28th last year for Germany? That's what the spreadsheet says, any way.

I feel ya. I've started to think it's not gonna happen until the first or second week of April, which is actually a problem for me. I have to tell grad schools whether or not I'm going before April 15th. I was hoping to have some time to weigh options (assuming I get in, of course).

Although, didn't decisions go out on the 28th last year for Germany? That's what the spreadsheet says, any way.

I am in the same boat. Grad school app is due on the 15th. That is my back-up plan. Oh well.

ETAs went out then, but full grants went out two weeks earlier.

This spreadsheet may be useful to you all as well.  It looks like from 2007 until 2009 German applicants did not hear back until early April.  It is still relatively early.  Also, it looks like the majority of notifications go out in April with a few in March and May respectively.

Of course, it would be helpful if I posted the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuGpbWEh-3b0dHZzTU1BN0lNLU1yeG5XWktnY2k3bmc#gid=1 

Edited by Porshyen

Hmmm. So it seems applicants to France were (just?) notified today....

Wasn't it last week?

Edit: Nevermind, I don't think so. It's all starting to blur together anyway.

*Sigh*

Hnng. Last year France and Germany sent out emails on the same day.

But.. must... not.. draw.. conclusions.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

From Mad Men: Roger Sterling once said that “the only thing worse than not getting what you want is someone else getting it.”

This came up on my Facebook newsfeed and made me laugh. I am happy for those who got some news (and peace of mind) today. :)

Alternate for France (Full). Anyone else?

"You have been designated as an alternate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program." 

Is this standard language, or are some people designated alternates in more specific pools?

As graduation and the "real world" draw nearer for many of us, what is everybody considering for back-up plans if they don't get the Fulbright? I'm looking into teaching English for a bit regardless, but I'm really not sure what my direction will be if I don't get it... Anybody else feel the same?

Alternate for France (Full). Anyone else?

"You have been designated as an alternate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program." 

Is this standard language, or are some people designated alternates in more specific pools?

I was an alternate last year for the Netherlands. Basically if someone drops out or doesnt accept the award, between now and up to September you could get bumped up. I tried to figure out where I was on the list but they wouldnt tell me. 

Also, remember there will be a few weeks in which everyone is figuring out if they are really going or some lucky people even have to choose between two different grants or opportunities. 

Edited by jahanzlik

As graduation and the "real world" draw nearer for many of us, what is everybody considering for back-up plans if they don't get the Fulbright? I'm looking into teaching English for a bit regardless, but I'm really not sure what my direction will be if I don't get it... Anybody else feel the same?

I currently have a pretty decent job (just not what I ultimately want to be doing) right now, which I will stick with. I want to go to grad school, but that will probably wait until my boyfriend is able to go back and finish school.

I just noticed someone on the board has the username LisaFrankXOXO - freakin sweet! OOOh the nostalgia! I had a bad ass Lisa Frank sticker collection which I always traded during recess. My favorites were the teeny tiny stickers of just about any theme! Esp the teeny tiny horses and unicorns :3