Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Just spoke with my FPA via Skype and she said that by Friday the Full Grant and ETAs should know! Okay back to reading for 3 classes tomorrow, so glad I have grad school to distract me!!!!!

Great to hear! Mine said she didnt know.

This means the FPAs already know whether we were recommended...

Yea, i think so too. Last year, my FPA knew a few days before I did. I came to put in an application for another fellowship. She told me after that she knew at that point. So frustrating, but legally they cant tell us.

Yea, i think so too. Last year, my FPA knew a few days before I did. I came to put in an application for another fellowship. She told me after that she knew at that point. So frustrating, but legally they cant tell us.

Yeah it sucks! However, not every FPA is a fully-committed and hard-working one and are so jammed with being the sole person working all university fellowships that they will know beforehand (just FYI).  However, they are not suppose to tell us beforehand legally, some eventually do.  Mine doesn't unfortunately :(   Finished reading on nationalism and now reading for a policy simulation tomorrow (I LOVE GRAD SCHOOL).

Quick quiz to take your minds off of Fulbright for a second: I have a professor by the name of John Shattuck.  Who can tell me what his role was for the US federal government and what major world crises did he either work in or help resolve? Good luck! :D

So, I've been scanning this forum occasionally since mid august or so, as I was finishing up my application to Fiji, and I finally created an account to post only because NO ONE else understands how stressful this is. Anyone else applying to the asia/south pacific region?

my cortisol levels have to be through the freakin' roof.

Yes! I applied for a full research grant to Fiji. What is your project about?? I am currently in China so our timezones are way off but I'll be back online in ~12 hours from this post to respond :) Crazy that someone else on here in applying to Fiji.

PS: Good luck!!

Edited by vPersie

Called my FPA today, she said, as legallyproper's said, that we will know by the end of the day on the 18th whether were recommended or not. She asked me if I had received an email or not. Wonder what that means. Applying to Netherlands, by the way, full grant.

I am applying for the Netherlands too, what is your project?

Just received this email from my FPA:

"I am writing to alert you to be on the lookout for an email from the Fulbright folks. The National Screening Committee has made its preliminary decisions.If you receive an email saying you are a "recommended" candidate, this means your application will be sent to the country level for further deliberation by another committee. The NSC sends forward about twice the number of applicants that they can actually grant awards to. So, if you are recommended, be pleased and jump for joy but know that this does not mean you are a Fulbrighter - yet! Hearing about the next level can take almost until the summer, depending on the country. Arghh! It will be hard to wait. 

If you receive an email saying you are "not recommended," I'm afraid this closes the Fulbright chapter for you this year. You can apply in subsequent years. Of course you will be disappointed, and so will I. I learned so much from every applicant and share a small part of the dream for each of you to be a Fulbrighter."

So, very soon!

I know. I told my husband he better be prepared either way and that lots of snacks and a movie would be appropriate! Friday would be better for me because I have a negative bank balance until then so I cannot even afford celebratory/mood boosting food...

Just received this email from my FPA:

"I am writing to alert you to be on the lookout for an email from the Fulbright folks. The National Screening Committee has made its preliminary decisions.If you receive an email saying you are a "recommended" candidate, this means your application will be sent to the country level for further deliberation by another committee. The NSC sends forward about twice the number of applicants that they can actually grant awards to. So, if you are recommended, be pleased and jump for joy but know that this does not mean you are a Fulbrighter - yet! Hearing about the next level can take almost until the summer, depending on the country. Arghh! It will be hard to wait. 

If you receive an email saying you are "not recommended," I'm afraid this closes the Fulbright chapter for you this year. You can apply in subsequent years. Of course you will be disappointed, and so will I. I learned so much from every applicant and share a small part of the dream for each of you to be a Fulbrighter."

So, very soon!

My FPA just sent an email about end of Friday as well. So it looks like Friday is the day!

Forwarded by my FPA:

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that IIE will be informing students of the outcome of the first stage of Fulbright U.S. Student Competition this week.  

Emails will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their application status by the end of the day on January 18, 2013.  

NSC STATUS DEFINITIONS

Recommended:  Recommendation indicates that the applicant will receive further consideration by the host country, the FSB and the Department of State.  It is not an award notification.

Since recommendation is not assurance of receipt of a grant, please do not release the names of recommended students to the campus press, colleagues or other individuals, until official notification is received from IIE on the final outcome of their applications.  This may not be until mid-summer in some cases.

The NSC recommends about two times the number of grants on offer.   See the website section on Competition Statistics for an indication of the number of grants to a specific country or World Region.  For additional information on Recommended status, please go to:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates

Non Recommended:  Indicates the applicant is no longer under consideration.  Unfortunately, we cannot discuss the reasons why a particular candidate was not recommended, usually because there may not be anything specifically wrong with the application.  In many cases, candidates were well qualified to receive a grant and no one specific factor prohibited them from reaching the next stage.  Simply, they were not as competitive as those who were recommended.  Candidates may certainly reapply, keeping in mind that an additional year of coursework, experience, and/or language study may be a factor which improves the competitiveness of their application. 

Withdraw:  The applicant notified IIE that they are withdrawing from the competition.
If you are aware of any recommended students who have withdrawn, please let us know as soon as possible.

Pending:  This indicates that their application must receive clearance from the FSB based on a felony/misdemeanor charge/conviction. These applicants have been notified of this requirement.  If an applicant had such a charge/conviction and is not listed as Pending, then they have been cleared and their Recommended or Non-Recommended status is provided.

Ineligible: The applicant is not eligible for a grant this year.   Reasons include:  did not have U.S. citizenship at the time of application, completed a U.S. Student Study/Research grant, completed an ETA grant in the last two years, or received a doctorate degree before the application deadline.

The success of the Fulbright and other IIE-administered programs is due in great part to the efforts and interest of the Fulbright Program Adviser and we would, therefore, like to take this opportunity to thank you for the considerable time and work which you have so willingly contributed.

I just got a call from my school's phone bank that asks alums for money; I thought it was going to be my FPA or someone in the office...my school can forget about contributions from me for about the next 10 years...

I know. I told my husband he better be prepared either way and that lots of snacks and a movie would be appropriate! Friday would be better for me because I have a negative bank balance until then so I cannot even afford celebratory/mood boosting food...

I'm loving this optimism!

I just got a call from my school's phone bank that asks alums for money; I thought it was going to be my FPA or someone in the office...my school can forget about contributions from me for about the next 10 years...

I get calls from my undergrad institution all the time! I guess they didnt remember I said I would be in grad school 5-7 years!

Haha, that's too funny :)

Yes! I applied for a full research grant to Fiji. What is your project about?? I am currently in China so our timezones are way off but I'll be back online in ~12 hours from this post to respond :) Crazy that someone else on here in applying to Fiji.

PS: Good luck!!

Hey, 

My proposal looks at the relationships between rising rates of non-communicable disease (namely diabetes and cardiovascular disease) and climate change.  Yours?

Good luck to you too. 

Hello! I'm applying for the full study grant so I can do my MA in Theatre Design at Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama in Cardiff, UK. My process has been a bit nerve-wracking as I found out I was applying quite late and neither my home university or any unis in Cardiff had FPAs (I was studying abroad at the time). Dunno what chance I have as someone in the arts going to the UK (seems like loads of competition), but we'll see I suppose.

Best of luck to everyone and I truly hope we find out by the end of the week. The wait is definitely killing me. 

It felt like just yesterday I was cruising through the posts and still figuring out my essays. Now, the time has come... and I flinch every time I open my email because I imagine the name "Fulbright" poping up.

Ditto. Oh vey!

Hey, 

My proposal looks at the relationships between rising rates of non-communicable disease (namely diabetes and cardiovascular disease) and climate change.  Yours?

Good luck to you too. 

Apologies for the ignorance on my part, but this project sounds interesting, and I'd be curious to know how you're thinking about executing it. If you're trying to demonstrate a correlative effect, I'd assume you'd be using statistics?

It seems as though the available data sets would be very limiting (perhaps some measure of "severe weather events" and non-communicable disease rates among different subgroups of the population? I assume you've ruled out changes in global temperature since it has been stagnant/declining for the past 15 years or so, and you mentioned the rates of non-communicable disease are rising). If we're operating under the assumption that rates of these non-communicable diseases are increasing (possibly namely due to easier access to foods and/or worsening consumer behaviors), and we assume that measures of climate change are increasing (frankly whether it's due to natural climate change, human aggravated climate change, or selective usage of data), then I can imagine demonstrating a statistically significant correlation based on a basic linear model with a small set of variables.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know where you'd take it from there; it seems as though the correlation would disappear with the inclusion of other factors, and that even if there is a correlation, it might be a vacuous result without additional context. Sorry for the follow-up questions and the stream-of-consciousness post, but the topic(s) seem interesting.