Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hey folks, I have a quick question for anyone who's familiar with the Australian-American Fulbright Commission. I was (still am?) a finalist for the 2013 Anne Wexler scholarship and was interviewed in mid-November. Their website said "all candidates would be advised of outcome in December 2012." Bad sign I haven't heard from anyone yet?

Hola! Problem is I have heard that some have not been notified til end of April, and as a wannabe PhD starting this Fall, the deadline for accept/decline admissions offer is mid Apr. What the hell, man?! Do you honorable people have experience with this conflict? Default action of course is to ask whether deferring admission is possible, but if anyone has experience of how places have reacted to that I would be grateful to hear. God forgive me for even entertaining the possibility of getting both.

Salaam

What is a multiple country ETA? As a candidate for the Czech Republic (alone), I am confused as I thought ETA apps were for just one country and you were only allowed one app.

I'm recommended ETA to Czech Republic, too. What is your project/community service/interest in the Czech Republic? Congrats by the way! Now we wait. Seems like forever!

Hola! Problem is I have heard that some have not been notified til end of April, and as a wannabe PhD starting this Fall, the deadline for accept/decline admissions offer is mid Apr. What the hell, man?! Do you honorable people have experience with this conflict? Default action of course is to ask whether deferring admission is possible, but if anyone has experience of how places have reacted to that I would be grateful to hear. God forgive me for even entertaining the possibility of getting both.

Salaam

السلام عليكم,

First of all: Go ahead and accept everything you are offered which you want to take.

Deferment is almost always possible *especially* in the case of being awarded a prestigious opportunity like the Fulbright. I too was in this situation and what I would suggest is since you know you are being considered for the grant you start a dialogue with the faculty you are interested in working with in your future PhD program. They can advocate for you to take this opportunity should a deferment need to happen or if you find you need/want to be enrolled. In my case one of my future advisors helped me write my Fulbright grant and it may be, depending on the data I get, foundational for a dissertation project. So even though I knew there was a possibility of getting both opportunities I also figured I could make a great case to my department to let me do the Fulbright. I have since confirmed this to be true.

Even if your proposed Fulbright is not necessarily tied to your future PhD research I still believe you can make an adequate case for going on research rather than starting your program.

So really what you need to be thinking about is whether deferment or enrollment are better options. They both have plusses and minuses. Deferment means you don't have to think about human subjects, turning in materials or otherwise being in contact with your department. Enrollment means possibly more financial support, more departmental support, human subjects clearance, and possibly financial aid money. 

Your first step though is to start talking to some faculty and find out what they suggest and how they can support you. Most of all don't worry about having to turn something down. That is a really unlikely situation. I am sure God appreciates your forward thinking and preparedness  :) .

Edited by amirah

I would be great if I knew who the other 35-40 finalists are who are applying for a full grant to Spain.

Are you sure it's that low at 35-40? When they say up to 2x the number of grants, I usually assume the worst and think its on the higher end, so closer to 50 maybe?

Yeah, I'm recommended for an ETA to Turkey as well. I'm living in Chicago too, but I just moved here so I applied at-large from Oregon. Good luck!

Just to clarify the only thing we need to do before the final selection is send official transcripts to IIE, right? 

Ballin' times. It depends with the transcripts. I'm living in  Detroit but applied through my school back East and they're taking care of it.

Also, I don't know a lick of Turkish. You two?

Ballin' times. It depends with the transcripts. I'm living in  Detroit but applied through my school back East and they're taking care of it.

Also, I don't know a lick of Turkish. You two?

Well good luck to you. I know some basic Turkish and I studied Arabic for four years. Although the languages aren't related, some of the Islamic-tinged pleasantries are the same. 

Hopefully, we'll both be in Turkey by the end of the year!

Hi everyone, quick, very broad question--does anyone know the sort of content of the language interviews? (I'm specifically doing Russian.) I was just wondering if it's like an interview would be for any standard application--describe yourself, why do you want to do this program, etc.--or if it's more focused just on making sure you understand and speak the language. If anyone has experience. :) and in any case, good luck to everyone interviewing. 

(Also, anyone else on here applying to Russia?)

Hi everyone, quick, very broad question--does anyone know the sort of content of the language interviews? (I'm specifically doing Russian.) I was just wondering if it's like an interview would be for any standard application--describe yourself, why do you want to do this program, etc.--or if it's more focused just on making sure you understand and speak the language. If anyone has experience. :) and in any case, good luck to everyone interviewing. 

(Also, anyone else on here applying to Russia?)

Have you already applied for a Fulbright? To my knowledge, all interviews are preliminary. 

Have you already applied for a Fulbright? To my knowledge, all interviews are preliminary. 

Yes--I applied for an ETA to Russia (perhaps therein lies the difference?), and was sent on to the next round. I have a language interview this Saturday morning with a very-friendly-sounding administrator in Moscow. 

Well good luck to you. I know some basic Turkish and I studied Arabic for four years. Although the languages aren't related, some of the Islamic-tinged pleasantries are the same. 

Hopefully, we'll both be in Turkey by the end of the year!

I was in Istanbul last summer for an intensive language study program based out of Bogazici University.  I'm still not very good, but I'm...I'd say lower intermediate when it comes to conversation?  Still awful at reading/writing/listening though.  Good luck to you both!  Hopefully we can all meet up one day. :)

What is a multiple country ETA? As a candidate for the Czech Republic (alone), I am confused as I thought ETA apps were for just one country and you were only allowed one app.

I just checked and you're totally right. I don't even know how I was reccomended, now! Wow, I guess I shouldn't have been. Looks like someone never caught this mistake.... one that note, I am probably out of the game now. So... ummm good luck lol since clearly I should not have been reccomended and don't know how that happened.

Edited by bfisher

So I e-mailed my FPA and it turns that I was reccommended for the Czech Republic and that I did not request placement in several countries (which would violate the ETA application guidelines). I don't know how it works, but in the application you were allowed to select up to 3 countries in regions that have a low applicant pool (for what ever reason that is). Apparently, since I was not required to switch to a Full Grant, I was automatically considered for my first pick; Czech Republic. However, that obviously means that I am only in consideration for 1 country, now (which is really how it is supposed to be). I am not going to be placed in multiple countries and I am currently a finalist for only one. So, I hope this brings light to the situation.

To GenderandDevelopment and Anon- have either of you heard about an interview yet?

Nope.... I'll certainly let you know if I do. I'm hoping this isn't necessarily a bad sign, but I'm starting to become less and less optimistic as days go by....