Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

What do you all think about the possibility of some decisions going out tomorrow, Friday March 1st? :)

I'm thinking that tomorrow or the first monday in march (3/4) are nice "round" dates for decisions. (You know how orgs love "round" dates like the first of the month, the 15th, the first monday of the month, etc...)

Does anyone on this forum know if 'sequestration' will affect fulbright funding at all?

Ugh. Don't want to think about it. I would think that, the sequestrtation would not have any possible effect on Fulbright until the next year tho. Would they not already have devoted a set amount towards the Fulbright fund? Let's hope anyway.

The day before hearing about making it into the second round, I got Chinese food for lunch. The fortune: "There is a prospect of a thrilling time ahead for you."

Today I got Chinese again. This time, it's "Fortune smiles upon you at this time."

OhgodIhopefortunecookiesaretrue

The day before hearing about making it into the second round, I got Chinese food for lunch. The fortune: "There is a prospect of a thrilling time ahead for you."

Today I got Chinese again. This time, it's "Fortune smiles upon you at this time."

Heh, hope so too. Maybe I should go get some chinese for lunch.

THe last time I looked to a fortune cookie, hoping to get some good news about making it past the second round, it said something to the effect of "Still no data".

WTF fortune cookie?! But i guess it was apt.

So glad to find another applicant to Africa! Yes, we'll be waiting for awhile--someone I know didn't hear back until April 25th! Are you doing a full or ETA?

Yes glad to find another Africa. I applied for a full research grant what about you?

Heh, hope so too. Maybe I should go get some chinese for lunch.

THe last time I looked to a fortune cookie, hoping to get some good news about making it past the second round, it said something to the effect of "Still no data".

WTF fortune cookie?! But i guess it was apt.

haha. i am so curious when everyone heard about their recommended status. if they were ahead of schedule on that, then who knows. i think some sick part of us is enjoying this wait, otherwise we wouldn't keep visiting the forum lol. it was a friday last time. good luck all! deep breaths :)

They do like to send them on Fridays, don't they? That's when I got my first round notification, and also looks like that's when Singapore made their announcement.

Hey guys. I have been doing some mad creeping on this forum for about a month+ now and finally decided to add. Hoping for a full grant to Brazil!

I would bet that some more decisions will come out tomorrow. Although last year decisions came all days of the week, they were also coming directly from the foreign Fulbright offices (and many were letters). Since IIE will be sending us these final notifications, I bet they'll mostly come out on Fridays.

I could be completely wrong though. 

Also, I'm not sure that Fulbright would be safe from sequestration... Check out this document (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/legislative_reports/stareport.pdf), type in "Educational and Cultural Exchange Programs" - page 135.

I'm not sure if this would mean cuts to Fulbright, if it would affect only current Fulbrighters or if this even the right department (although Fulbright is under the DoS and is the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs). 

Looks like an 8.2% cut...

Don't mean to be alarmist! Call your legislators!! 

EDIT: Call your representatives in Congress asking them to come to resolution. Not to ask about whether Fulbright will be cut, lol.

Edited by clairebear2

hahah I just laughed out loud at a starbucks.

Well everyone, here's to the last day of February! Good things to come!!

Seriouisly considering disabling Groupon emails for the time being...............

Hahah I feel you... I unsubscribed yesterday!

What's strange is that I'm so desperate for news, but I'm also dreading it. 100% of me is impatient, 100% of me wants to never find out, never read that I've been rejected.

Ha! I know! And if I DO , by some miracle, get it, I know my first thought is going to be, "HOLY SHIT! I HAVEN'T USED MY GERMAN IN YEARS! WHAT WAS I THINKING?!"

I did that the last time I went to Germany; started panicking and wondering what I was thinking. It was awesome and totally worth it. I just have to keep working on my German, though.

What's strange is that I'm so desperate for news, but I'm also dreading it. 100% of me is impatient, 100% of me wants to never find out, never read that I've been rejected.

Ditto. Also, I want to mention that I have all kinds of work due tomorrow, so as much as I want the day to come alongwith an anouncement, I'm equally dreading it....

I'm a finalist for a European country, and I was offered a different fellowship that will need a 'yes' or 'no' response within the next 2 weeks. Does anyone know who you should email to find out when your country will announce their final decision? More importantly, does anyone know if countries will even tell you when they will announce their decision? Thanks!

I don't think they will give you information on the final decisions even if another fellowship needs a decision, but to be honest I haven't tried.

Speaking from experience, I would take the offer as long as it's somewhat comparable to the Fulbright.

Last year, I received a Japan Foundation grant while still a finalist for the Fulbright-IIE, and they wanted an answer before Fulbright results came out. I went ahead and accepted the Japan Foundation grant, which was a good call because I ended up as an alternate for Fulbright. Unless the bird in hand is puny and emaciated, it's not worth going for ones in the bush, even if it is the legendary Aves fulbrighticus...

Edited by my future is history

Great update for wannabe Chinese fulbrighters like myself: "it is likely to be several weeks still.  Thank you for your patience – we know it is hard to wait." At least they are acknowledging our suffering. So I guess we have a slightly better chance than 50/50? If I remember right it was like 110 applications and 60 available grants. Where my sinophiles at? Actually reading people's posts about Indonesia, I am now really jonesing to visit there and almost wish I had applied there :-). And this:

Ha! I know! And if I DO , by some miracle, get it, I know my first thought is going to be, "HOLY SHIT! I HAVEN'T USED MY GERMAN IN YEARS! WHAT WAS I THINKING?!"

I did that the last time I went to Germany; started panicking and wondering what I was thinking. It was awesome and totally worth it. I just have to keep working on my German, though.

Is pretty much exactly how I'm feeling. Oh god...I (*) have to work with Chinese Historians and Anthropologists? In Chinese?!?! NoOooOOOO!!!!!! [mentally commits to memorizing five books of vocab words but knows it'll never happen, but also that it'll end up being fine once I get there] 

*might...