Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'd love to hear everyone's proposals. I mean, while we're waiting (possibly forever)

I'm hoping to work on the molecular biology (more specifically, the epigenomics) of Norwegian spruce trees in relation to climate change. Any other biologists out there?

not a biologist but somewhat similar, I'm a medical physicist and I'm hoping to research healthcare disparities in the form of radiotherapy treatments in Croatia as compared to a medium sized community clinic in America.

Yes it is wonderful! I have been twice!

Indian Theology of an Islamic sort...something like the local Sufi traditions, the Sikhs, the splinter Shia groups and the Mughal heritage etc? Sounds like it would have to bring in Pakistan as well...like the Aga Khan, Ismaili's etc.

I will be conducting my research at local temples devoted to a Shakti, for example, Kali. Hbu? what is your project?

To be thorough I'd bring in all those things you mentioned. Unfortunately I have limited brainpower so I have to keep it limited. I am actually applying for a China grant, but it is to study intellectual commerce between China and India in the 16th-17th centuries. My core interest is Chinese Islam, and people usually think about Islam entering china through Central Asia, but I am working on Sufi teachers and ideas in China that are of Indian origin (you're right, Mughal-era Sufism). I'm looking at how "teachings from India", aka Buddhism, worked as a trope in China in the way Buddhism was theorized about and how that determined the ways India, Islam, and Indian Islam were talked about in "mainstream" Chinese texts of the time. (I also look at central Asian Sufism but it's kind of dangerous to combine the words "Uyghur" and "Islam" when you are asking Chinese bureaucrats for money.)

But I might be able to return to Kolkata this summer! I stayed slightly south of Jadavpur university inan area called Ganguly Bagan. Where have you / will you stay there? Such a remarkable city. And my lovely wife hails from there.

This might be way too obsessive, but it might be interesting/useful for people in future years if we document about what time notifications were received for each country in addition to the dates...

Would love to add this column but currently in the hospital for what the doctors think is typhoid, so I've been AWOL from maintaining the spreadsheet! Please go ahead and add!

Aah, Kolkata. I love that city, as well as studying Indian theology (of an Islamic sort). Ami aek bochor age Kolkata-te biye korechi. I wish you all the best! Will this research be conducted at local temples?

So glad to hear someone talking about my city and my university!!!! :):):) It's a small world! *while we are waiting*

Yes it is wonderful! I have been twice!

Indian Theology of an Islamic sort...something like the local Sufi traditions, the Sikhs, the splinter Shia groups and the Mughal heritage etc? Sounds like it would have to bring in Pakistan as well...like the Aga Khan, Ismaili's etc.

I will be conducting my research at local temples devoted to a Shakti, for example, Kali. Hbu? what is your project?

You could also try Guwahati not far from Kolkata in Assam and visit Kamakhya temple. Kalighat in Kolkata and Kamakhya temple in Guwahati are two good places to do research on Shakti.

I'm also applying for a full research grant to India, Kolkata specifically. I'll be studying water system development framework sustainability in a variety of rural towns throughout the West Bengal region.

Is there anyone out there who was recommended for an ETA to Malta? I'm the only one on the Google doc, but maybe you've been reading the forum. It looks like we're going to have a long wait!

Edited by tieloran

hahaha well can we say that your sisters project was....successful!

But if you meet the right people over in India...why not go beyond the husband to the commune...so much better! =)

Anyway...My partner and I are planning on going to Kolkata for a project on Hindu Theology...specifically Sacrificial Theology. hbu all?

Well, he's not actually Indian, she just met him there. He's from Iraq, and was doing is masters in Engineering in India. They met in a Hindi class! :)So he came here :)

I'm trying to stay away from drinking ( training-doing CrossFit for a Tough Mudder in June) but I hear it calling me...ALL THIS STRESS...I need to focus and keep writing this dissertation, but I feel like everything is on hold as I drive myself insane....

Heh, I didn't actually drink anything stronger than a Diet, Caffeine Free Mountain Dew when I got home. I still have half a bottle of wine, but it should probably be tossed...

I'm hoping to study Eduard Hanslick, a 19th century music critic who was extremely influential to Viennese culture. And a part-time ETA, which is why Austrian fulbrights can be so excellent.

but isn't it the coolest? As far as I know it is the only country that offers part time study/part time ETA -which couldn't have been more perfect for me and in a German speaking country - a dream come true.

I am hoping to studying linguistics at Universität Wien and then most likely fall into a linguistics or german graduate program back in the US (if I would ever come back ha).

Have you visited the university or Vienna before? I was just there this summer and absolutely fell in love with it!

Good Luck! I feel like we should hear soon.......!

Every morning, I wake up, and say, "Today could be the day!" Then I get nothing done, and later I say, "Tomorrow could be the day!"  :rolleyes:  O brother. Tomorrow is a FRIDAY. I'm going to drink some tea and TRY to get something accomplished today.

I'm abroad now, and I can't decide if it is better or worse to be in my situation... 11.5 hours ahead. I guess I get to sleep through the worried email-checking phase and am primarily only awake during a time I know I won't be receiving any emails from anyone in the States. 

I'm abroad now, and I can't decide if it is better or worse to be in my situation... 11.5 hours ahead. I guess I get to sleep through the worried email-checking phase and am primarily only awake during a time I know I won't be receiving any emails from anyone in the States. 

I dunno, but, I'd much rather be abroad than in my stupid cubicle in the States.

Also have nothing to add, other than that your wonderful Sherlock and John icon is wonderful. 

:D Isn't it.

I'm secretly hoping that if I get to go abroad, I will have access to the BBC channel and get to watch Sherlock earlier than my boyfriend :P

Are you an ETA applicant as well? Where are you applying? What did you propose as your "side project"?

I was in China when the recommendation notifications came around in Jan. I liked it a lot because each morning I would wake up, and if there was no email from Fulbright by ~8:30am, I knew there was no point in checking until tomorrow morning. I also just love being abroad.. but I'm guessing all of us do :)

I was in China when the recommendation notifications came around in Jan. I liked it a lot because each morning I would wake up, and if there was no email from Fulbright by ~8:30am, I knew there was no point in checking until tomorrow morning. I also just love being abroad.. but I'm guessing all of us do :)

Being state side is so bloody boring!!

*shoots at wall* ^_^ I know some of you will get it!

:D Isn't it.

I'm secretly hoping that if I get to go abroad, I will have access to the BBC channel and get to watch Sherlock earlier than my boyfriend :P

Are you an ETA applicant as well? Where are you applying? What did you propose as your "side project"?

I'm an ETA applicant to Russia, and since I bet I wouldn't have BBC, I'm sort of just picturing myself sitting in some sort of dark, Soviet-era dorm, in a corner, watching pirated Series 3 on a crappy Siberian Internet connection and maybe throwing back some vodka. It feels very authentically Russian. (Though IF I HAD BBC ZOMG SUCK IT FRIENDS.)

You've probably said up there as well, but where are you applying? and I applied for the Critical Language Enhancement Award to fill my copious free time, but if I don't get that... um... studying British television in the Russian context? (Actually, I think I said something about working with the disabled population, but I can't entirely remember what was actually on the app? Hrm.)

I'm under the assumption that IIE is sending these emails out around 4 pm EST, so I'm trying not to expect anything outside of the 3:30-4:30 hour.  Since we know the IIE makes final approvals before sending out notifications, I think that the emails have come at about the same time twice might tell us a bit about how their work day is structured and when we can expect emails.

I'm dreading someone receiving an email at a completely different time and proving this wrong -- it's nice only expecting the email during a brief part of the day!

Edited by princehal

Is there anyone out there who was recommended for an ETA to Malta? I'm the only one on the Google doc, but maybe you've been reading the forum. It looks like we're going to have a long wait!

There's a girl at my school who applied. I'm not positive she's a finalist, but I think she is.

I'm an ETA applicant to Russia, and since I bet I wouldn't have BBC, I'm sort of just picturing myself sitting in some sort of dark, Soviet-era dorm, in a corner, watching pirated Series 3 on a crappy Siberian Internet connection and maybe throwing back some vodka. It feels very authentically Russian. (Though IF I HAD BBC ZOMG SUCK IT FRIENDS.)

You've probably said up there as well, but where are you applying? and I applied for the Critical Language Enhancement Award to fill my copious free time, but if I don't get that... um... studying British television in the Russian context? (Actually, I think I said something about working with the disabled population, but I can't entirely remember what was actually on the app? Hrm.)

I'm appying to Germany. I've been there before, and I seem to remember the BBC being the one of two channels I would watch when I just didn't feel like straining my brain :). CNN could be pretty depressing at times. THis was back in 08, and it just kept reminding of the terrible economy I was going back to and would soon be graduating into. I also watched more of MTV's "Room Raider's" than I care to admit, as they just added German subtitles. Oh, and Bob Ross was on late at night every once in a while! That was pretty comforting!!

I wanted to apply for  a Critical Language award, but they don't offer that in Germany. I hope to spend my free time volunteering at a therepeutic horseback riding center, somewhere. I currently volunteer at a stable here in the States, and since therepeutic riding started in Germany/Austria, I thought this would be an excellent opportunity! I also hope to obtain a masters in Speech Pathology at some point, hence my interest in working with the developmentally disabled.