Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

but isn't it the coolest? As far as I know it is the only country that offers part time study/part time ETA -which couldn't have been more perfect for me and in a German speaking country - a dream come true.

I am hoping to studying linguistics at Universität Wien and then most likely fall into a linguistics or german graduate program back in the US (if I would ever come back ha).

Have you visited the university or Vienna before? I was just there this summer and absolutely fell in love with it!

Good Luck! I feel like we should hear soon.......!

Yes, I have. The library in Vienna is Amazzzing as well. And I am so on edge. Any moment now. My heart is fluttering just THINKING about getting an email.

Yes, I have. The library in Vienna is Amazzzing as well. And I am so on edge. Any moment now. My heart is fluttering just THINKING about getting an email.

I've been to Vienna as well. Even though it was a short trip, I thoroughly enjoyed it! I had one of the best cups of tea I've ever had in Vienna :)

Would love to add this column but currently in the hospital for what the doctors think is typhoid, so I've been AWOL from maintaining the spreadsheet! Please go ahead and add!

I'm so sorry to hear that Dr. Herp, that sounds awful!! Get well soon!!!!!!!

To be thorough I'd bring in all those things you mentioned. Unfortunately I have limited brainpower so I have to keep it limited. I am actually applying for a China grant, but it is to study intellectual commerce between China and India in the 16th-17th centuries. My core interest is Chinese Islam, and people usually think about Islam entering china through Central Asia, but I am working on Sufi teachers and ideas in China that are of Indian origin (you're right, Mughal-era Sufism). I'm looking at how "teachings from India", aka Buddhism, worked as a trope in China in the way Buddhism was theorized about and how that determined the ways India, Islam, and Indian Islam were talked about in "mainstream" Chinese texts of the time. (I also look at central Asian Sufism but it's kind of dangerous to combine the words "Uyghur" and "Islam" when you are asking Chinese bureaucrats for money.)

But I might be able to return to Kolkata this summer! I stayed slightly south of Jadavpur university inan area called Ganguly Bagan. Where have you / will you stay there? Such a remarkable city. And my lovely wife hails from there.

That is amazing! Yes I know the Uyghur people, met a few of them in a training exercise once. That sounds amazing!

When you are back, If we are there, we should def. meet up! We are planning on staying around the University of Calcutta. That is awesome that your wife hails from there as well!

You could also try Guwahati not far from Kolkata in Assam and visit Kamakhya temple. Kalighat in Kolkata and Kamakhya temple in Guwahati are two good places to do research on Shakti.

Yes to all! That is awesome that you are from there. I spent a great deal of time at Kalighat while in Kolkata last. Amazing place! Thanks for the suggestions!

I did an Australian working holiday...but not through them, it's actually just a visa that Australia offers to American citizens called a working holiday visa, you pay like $300 or something like that for the visa and then you can work any job over there with the only restrictions being that the visa lasts 1 year and you can't work in any one place for longer than 6 months, and you can only ever get that visa once in your life.  That being said, I've worked in a lot of food service in my life and I went over there wanting to be in a cafe where i could meet people and have a flexible schedule.  I ended up finding a fabulous job at an awesome cafe, their minimum wage pay for work like that is through the roof and I was in a more touristy part of town where many people tipped over that amount too, and it was owned by someone who had a whole string of restaurants in the same area so they were able to switch me on pay roll to one of the other restaurants so I could keep the same job for the whole year :)  It really was an amazing experience, I absolutely LOVED Australia, would love to relocate there some day!

I did an Australian working holiday...but not through them, it's actually just a visa that Australia offers to American citizens called a working holiday visa, you pay like $300 or something like that for the visa and then you can work any job over there with the only restrictions being that the visa lasts 1 year and you can't work in any one place for longer than 6 months, and you can only ever get that visa once in your life.  That being said, I've worked in a lot of food service in my life and I went over there wanting to be in a cafe where i could meet people and have a flexible schedule.  I ended up finding a fabulous job at an awesome cafe, their minimum wage pay for work like that is through the roof and I was in a more touristy part of town where many people tipped over that amount too, and it was owned by someone who had a whole string of restaurants in the same area so they were able to switch me on pay roll to one of the other restaurants so I could keep the same job for the whole year :)  It really was an amazing experience, I absolutely LOVED Australia, would love to relocate there some day!

Hmmmmmmm. Going on my list of "things to contemplate if I don't get a Fulbright"

Does your username reference Zumba, or is it something else?

yep, I also teach Zumba on the side...jack of many trades :)

Also, a little jealous you are applying to Croatia. I thought about it, but decided I would have a better chance at an ETA in Germany. It was a tough choice! I have family near Zagreb! I think I should still get to visit them, though!

haha that's what everyone says, we all get so attached to our own instructor...well if you ever find yourself in Baton Rouge...in the next 6 or so months, you'll have to swing by one of my classes...and if I am lucky enough to end up in Zagreb next year, we'll for sure have to meet up when you come through to visit!

@Medizumbacist , because my quote thing doesn't seem to be working..

Yeah, I know, everyone always likes their first instructor the best, I think. I like my current one, she is a lot of fun, and has disco balls and black lights (so cool!) but she really doesn't break down the steps at all. You basically just have to figure it out on your own. I'm terribly uncordinated so.. slow going :)

That would be awesome if we could meet up in Zagreb! I would be so up for that! I really want to make it to Dubrovnik at some point too.. Wasn't able to make it there, last time!

No Fulbright email for me, but I did just get an email from one of the US grad programs I applied to! I've been offered a fellowship and an assistantship! :) So that's something at least!

Edited by pbo

No Fulbright email for me, but I did just get an email from one of the US grad programs I applied to! I've been offered a fellowship and an assistantship! :) So that's something at least!

congrats! it's great to have options like that....

I actually got my "recommendation email" for South Korea ETA at 5:10PM Eastern time, so I have been checking my email even after 5PM! I just wish the results would come out already. 

I had a dream 2 weeks ago that I got my Fulbright "P" email and was hyped...calling everyone, planning to party.....then my alarm went off at 6:30am and the first thing I said, out loud, was "Damn! that was a dream?!?!?! :blink:"

Maybe tomorrow is the day everyone....