Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Sorry, I meant my school as my school in the UK! Not the institution I applied through.

I'm sure good news is coming for all of you as well!

I hate the fact that I am now analyzing everything and am moping my proposed advisor didn't email me and If I don't find out now if have to wait until next week which succcckkks

Last year they were not, I don't think. Are you an ETA as well?

I have hope that they will this year, though. They seem to be doing things a little bit differently this year.

I applying for the full.

which one's are announced first? This is killing me with my PhD offers in hand, I'm keeping them in suspense until I hear about the Fulbright.

Today seems like its going to be a big day. Congrats to everyone who got it and crossing my fingers for everyone who hasn't heard yet!

I have a feeling there will indeed be more today.

I'll still be following this thread, because now I have you guys to root for!

I have a feeling there will indeed be more today.

I'll still be following this thread, because now I have you guys to root for!

we need all the support we can get...CONGRATS!!!!!

I applying for the full.

which one's are announced first? This is killing me with my PhD offers in hand, I'm keeping them in suspense until I hear about the Fulbright.

Me too! We have till April 15th though right?

Ahh okay, thanks for clearing that up pbo. Congrats again!

I have an exam in 1 hour, and I'm sure I won't hear for 1 month based on my luck haha.

Thanks! And good luck! :)

CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO HEARD!! just imaaaaaaaaaaagine what we could do with all this pent up energy from waiting! i've been laying low here lately but it's really cool to see what others are researching, would be so interesting to meet you all :) and to the dr. with typhoid (potentially) i hope it's not! feel better! good luck guys! i feel like more people will hear today. i also think most of us still have weeks (months?) to wait :)

Umm. Just in case anyone else needs a bit of a distraction at the moment. I knew about North Korea doing nuclear testing, but this is the first I've heard about this; apparently NK is scrapping all non-aggression treaties with SK. I also read in another article that I can't find, and I kind of question the veracity of (it may have been the Daily Mail??), that North Korea also threatened a nuke attack on the US as soon as Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21709917

I North Korea is well known for their constant posturing and threats, but I don't know enough about the situation to gauge whether we should really be worried about this. I figured ya'll smart'uns might be able to fill me in! Even China does not seem to be backing them in their threats, so it seems like should North Korea start anything, it would likely be squashed quickly. That doesn't mean there couldn't be bloodshed in South Korea, should they attack. I hope no one is applying to South Korea in this forum. It sounds like it could get dicey. A good friend of mine is from South Korea, and her family is still there, so it worries me for them.

Umm. Just in case anyone else needs a bit of a distraction at the moment. I knew about North Korea doing nuclear testing, but this is the first I've heard about this; apparently NK is scrapping all non-aggression treaties with SK. I also read in another article that I can't find, and I kind of question the veracity of (it may have been the Daily Mail??), that North Korea also threatened a nuke attack on the US as soon as Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21709917

I North Korea is well known for their constant posturing and threats, but I don't know enough about the situation to gauge whether we should really be worried about this. I figured ya'll smart'uns might be able to fill me in! Even China does not seem to be backing them in their threats, so it seems like should North Korea start anything, it would likely be squashed quickly. That doesn't mean there couldn't be bloodshed in South Korea, should they attack. I hope no one is applying to South Korea in this forum. It sounds like it could get dicey. A good friend of mine is from South Korea, and her family is still there, so it worries me for them.

Well, as a US Army officer, I can tell you that US Missile Defense systems are the best in the Korean Peninsula. Almost nothing will get past the Patriot Missile Batteries and the Battalions and Divisions stationed there. While only one nuclear weapon will cause massive devastation, North Korea will be crushed by not only the United States, but a multinational force that is committed to its safety.

Well, as a US Army officer, I can tell you that US Missile Defense systems are the best in the Korean Peninsula. Almost nothing will get past the Patriot Missile Batteries and the Battalions and Divisions stationed there. While only one nuclear weapon will cause massive devastation, North Korea will be crushed by not only the United States, but a multinational force that is committed to its safety.

That's what I figured, as far as the nuclear attacks go. I know China is North Korea's only real ally, so it doesn't seem like they could stand much of a chance, should fighting break out.

China will not support the DPRK if it attacks....there is too much for China to lose if it supports North Korean Aggression

Yeah, I didn't think China would support an attack by North Korea. I am more just wondering if North Korea has actually been gearing up for some sort of attack, or if this is just more posturing, and not really something to bat an eyelash at.

Also trying to get some kind of other discussion going, because, as I said, I could use a distraction. Doesn't look like anyone else does though :)

Edited by there'sanappforthat

well any regime change poses challenges for the new leadership. I assume that Kim Jong Un is trying to solidify support within the military ranks and within the various standing committees. This is a way for him to show his strength and determination...the question is, how far is he willing to go to show his power and resolve? This is dangerous, especially since he is so young.

Edited by chelali

well any regime change poses challenges for the new leadership. I assume that Kim Jong Un is trying to solidify support within the military ranks and within the various standing committees. This is a way for him to show his strength and determination...the question is, how far is he willing to go to show his power and resolve? This is dangerous, especially since he is so young.

I imagine he is trying to prove himself. I wonder if recent events might be enough to cause Fulbright to pull funding from their South Korean programs, out of worry of some sort of dispute? I haven't been following the Fulbright committee that long, so I don't really know what the did in the past regarding struggles between North and South Korea.

I actually landed in South Korea last year the day Kim Jong Il died. The people there were not really concerned even though the media here in the US portrayed it to the point where I am pretty sure Americans were more afraid than the South Koreans. Their biggest concern was the stock market. This is because North Korean threats are so common (close to a daily basis), they have just learned to ignore them. I am applying for the South Korean ETA and would not even hesitate to go there. It would truly surprise me if they were to pull Fulbright funding due to the recent threats.

It's a fairly safe assessment that the DPRK won't reignite the war unless it perceives an existential threat. China has benefited more than any other nation from the status quo over the past two decades. Don't forget that Sung had Mao and Stalin's blessing in 1950. That's not happening today.

There's no threat to Fulbright. The DPRK doesn't even have the capability to put its warheads on missiles--and you remember how well that recent satellite launch went (which was practice for when they can put a nuclear warhead, not a satellite, on a missile.)

I, along with some of my military analyst friends, agree that the DPRK has the technology to place warheads onto MRBM's and Scuds so to transfer that to ICBM's should not be that difficult, especially since they were in contact with the A. Q. Khan network out of Pakistan which also has the knowledge of warhead placement.

I actually landed in South Korea last year the day Kim Jong Il died. The people there were not really concerned even though the media here in the US portrayed it to the point where I am pretty sure Americans were more afraid than the South Koreans. Their biggest concern was the stock market. This is because North Korean threats are so common (close to a daily basis), they have just learned to ignore them. I am applying for the South Korean ETA and would not even hesitate to go there. It would truly surprise me if they were to pull Fulbright funding due to the recent threats.

Interesting. My friend from SK never really seemed perturbed by North Korea, either, but she hasn't lived there in a while. She goes back to visit her family often enough for her to know what is going on over there. She was always really annoyed when our coworkers would asker her questions about North Korea like it is just an extension of South Korea. She would just tell them most South Koreans didn't really know a lot about what went on in the North and didn't have contact with them. I got a bit worried about her family near Seoul, though.

That's good to hear that it is unlikely they will pull funding. I would really hate that for South Korean applicants!

It's a fairly safe assessment that the DPRK won't reignite the war unless it perceives an existential threat. China has benefited more than any other nation from the status quo over the past two decades. Don't forget that Sung had Mao and Stalin's blessing in 1950. That's not happening today.

There's no threat to Fulbright. The DPRK doesn't even have the capability to put its warheads on missiles--and you remember how well that recent satellite launch went (which was practice for when they can put a nuclear warhead, not a satellite, on a missile.)

Hah, yeah, that's true. I had heard the tests didn't go well.

Edited by there'sanappforthat