Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

The fulbright Russia petition was done by a bunch of students who don't know anything about how cuts will be made.

Nah, mine was conducted by the primary program officer who has been working there since 2005.

So..... Any UKers want to throw out estimates of when they think we'll find out?

I think Wednesday or Friday at the earliest. I mean, they're about two weeks behind their schedule from last year.

I think Wednesday or Friday at the earliest. I mean, they're about two weeks behind their schedule from last year.

Sigh. The 3 days I least wanted to find out during ever.

I have been lurking since early last week (Fulbright Russia, research applicant). I was originally told during my interview in early February that the internal deadline was March 1st, and that I should hear back in mid to late March, even though historically the announcements for Russia have been in early April.

I currently work on a similar program for another USG agency. While I took the information provided by Fulbright Russia to heart, I know first-hand that things can change quickly in the current budgetary climate. From what I am reading in the direct quotes from reps at the IIE, it seems these somewhat canned responses are, in fact, an indication that the programs are being affected this year.

If you read between the lines, the fact that they're even mentioning the funding issues means to me that it really is an issue. The generic second sentence/part is so obvious that it's trivial. It's important to ask what "small cuts," "important funding decisions," and "majority of awards" really mean, as well as how they're planning on dealing with them. I don't imagine we'll get an answer to those questions right now. That's where the awkwardness and limbo kick in.

Should we freak out? Yes, because that's always the right decision.

Prepare for the worst; hope for the best.

You make a fair point. I sincerely hope you are wrong.

I'm also trying not to expect anything before the end of the week. It's crazy how much harder the waiting gets when you know it's coming soon. 

Another day..... Sigh.... And Elwolf- I completely agree. I don't think I'd be as nervous/upset about it if I didn't know I was essentially already supposed to have found out by previous years dates! And that bloody email...

Hello all, this is my first posting on here. I am waiting to hear on a full research to Japan. any other Japan folks out there? Past years have been announced early to mid March but nothing has come yet, like everywhere else it looks like ... 

Hello all, this is my first posting on here. I am waiting to hear on a full research to Japan. any other Japan folks out there? Past years have been announced early to mid March but nothing has come yet, like everywhere else it looks like ... 

Welcome to the group! Hang in there!

Japan here...Nice to know there is company. What's your field? I just found out I'm an alternate for Japan Foundation too. :blink: Waiting to hear back from Fulbright just got harder.

Hi friends, I just joined and thought I could take part in the anxiety sharing. I am waiting to hear about a full research grant to do frog ecology work in Australia. Hope everyone is able to concentrate while we all wait! :)

Hi friends, I just joined and thought I could take part in the anxiety sharing. I am waiting to hear about a full research grant to do frog ecology work in Australia. Hope everyone is able to concentrate while we all wait! :)

That's great! Where abouts will you be? I have family in Queensland. It's a lovely place!

@mims3382 wow that is intense! good luck! My field is art/installation specifically. Researching Japanese spacial concepts through sound and architectural design..

Never thought I'd say this, but thank god for finals. They are a welcome distraction.

Nooooo they are not! /Fulbright is distracting me from studying as much as I would like!

Sounds interesting! I learned about the cane toad invasion in an intro to ecology course, but not frogs!

Japan here...Nice to know there is company. What's your field? I just found out I'm an alternate for Japan Foundation too. :blink: Waiting to hear back from Fulbright just got harder.

Good luck! 

My friend was waitlisted for Japan Foundation and got a Fulbright, he's in Tokyo now. I was waitlisted for Fulbright, and got Japan Foundation and I'm in Tokyo now lol. Kind of speaks to the randomness of these decisions. It's hard to say what each group is looking for any given year. 

I just got alternate status for JF too.  It really hurt =[  This game is a tough game we're playing. 

Tough and fickle... My research topic fit the themes Fulbright was looking for (mentioned in the info packet pdf) and I ended up as alternate. My friend's topic didn't fit the theme and he got it. These things are mysterious, and it's not necessarily a reflection of the strength of your project. Alternate status for JF puts you in Fulbright-acceptable territory, so don't feel too bad.

This is a total guess, but I think JF might put a greater emphasis on language ability while Fulbright might want a project with a broader scope. I think these were the two main points that separated my application from my friend's, but this is really a shot in the dark. 

Anyways, if you guys end up going on JF fellowships and have any questions feel free to PM.

Edited by my future is history

My research topic fit the themes Fulbright was looking for (mentioned in the info packet pdf) and I ended up as alternate. My friend's topic didn't fit the theme and he got it. These things are mysterious, and it's not necessarily a reflection of the strength of your project. Alternate status for JF puts you in Fulbright-acceptable territory, so don't feel too bad.

Thanks for this! How interesting and strange. In my head I imagine that they have 15 grants to give with 20 people applying ;) though I know that's not the case. Do you have any idea if alternates are ever successful in the end?

I just got alternate status for JF too.  It really hurt =[  This game is a tough game we're playing. 

I'm glad to know I'm in company...it does hurt a bit. Especially since I was pretty proud of my application... *sigh

I just hope I get this funding situation sorted out soon!