MacBook Pro vs. Thinkpad

No.

However, I do not use battery saver power options nor turn off background applications that use a lot of power when I'm unplugged.  So if I cannot sit near a power outlet, I generally will not bother taking my machine out of my pack or my satchel.  (And to be clear, it is a satchel, not a murse. :P )  So when I'm at the local coffee house, I sneer with green-eyed envy at the MPB users who can sit where they want and (apparently) not worry about running out of juice.  But I'm not bitter.

Word. That's my only beef with my thinkpad...the battery power.

Edited by AbaNader

I get 8 hours of battery life from my stock battery after 150 full cycles (~9 months).

I hardly ever use it when it's not plugged in, though, but 8 hours is plenty for what I do.

I get 8 hours of battery life from my stock battery after 150 full cycles (~9 months).

I hardly ever use it when it's not plugged in, though, but 8 hours is plenty for what I do.

Yeah I screwed up the battery by draining it to 0% a couple of times. I forgot these new Lithium ion batteries get worse if you drain them unlike the older Nickel metal hydride ones that required cycling.

My first computer was a Thinkpad, back when they were still owned by IBM. My current is a MacBook Pro.

I love my Mac but honestly you get better bang for your buck with Lenovo, methinks. My campus is a Mac campus, so we have all the stuff you need to make Macs play nice with statistical software. I run SPSS on my Mac just fine (although I needed to download a patch to stop it from crashing, but it was free and on the IBM website) and although I don't yet have a personal copy of SAS, I know tons of doctoral students who run SAS in Windows on their Mac. I run Windows Vista on my Mac pretty fine, too, although I think I'm going to delete it and install Windows XP instead. Perhaps it'll run faster.

• 2 weeks later...

There's actually a discussion about that over in the Lobby forum... basically with us trying to dissuade someone from buying it because it looks pretty when they don't need the power behind it the way a graphic designer might.

Any news on the ETA or price of the X1 carbon?

July. There should be more info on it in the next week or so.

Personally, I went ahead and got a 13" MacBook air with all the setting maxed out, although the X1 Carbon would have been nice as well.

July. There should be more info on it in the next week or so.

Personally, I went ahead and got a 13" MacBook air with all the setting maxed out, although the X1 Carbon would have been nice as well.

I'm buying a new laptop for my masters, and I've been eyeing the ideapads. I mean, the X1 Carbon looks great, but I think I could get by on something a little less powerful. I wish I could afford a Mac some days...ultimately I just want something lightweight with a long battery life and a 13" screen, as computing power isn't so important for browsing and word processing :P

I have a Thinkpad from 2003 that is still in great condition; however, it can only run on a cord now. The battery is the one shortcoming. In college, many of my friends had serious issues with their Dells, Acers, and Macs. Of course, these problems interfered with projects and assignments. I never had a single issue despite the advanced age of my faithful Thinkpad. I still use it as my "backup" laptop. That said, I'd recommend a Thinkpad if you're looking for something that is extremely reliable, tough, and well designed. Don't be fooled by its vulcan-like appearance--the shell is composed, in part, of carbon fibre.