Hey guys: I am not a good linguist but I am looking for a PhD acceptance in linguistics. Recommendations?

mq1

Hey guys

I am international. I am supposed to do a PhD in linguistics. I have an MA with thesis in Linguistics but I still need to do a PhD. Does anyone recommend a linguistics department that is not so difficult like UC Berkley and UCLA etc.? I actually need an easy one not a tough one. Lord bless you.

Please don't judge me, instead help me.

MQ

I'm not sure what makes you think UCLA and UC Berkley's programs aren't hard.

Any 5+ year PhD program is hard. You will find it very hard to succeed if you're not passionate about linguistics; it's hard even if you're excellent at your work and dedicated to it. Furthermore, even if you somehow make it through, there are so many good applicants applying for each job that you'll find it difficult to secure employment. Maybe if you explain why you want to study linguistics (=what your goals are) we could help more, but given what you've said I can't think of any program that fits your needs.

I'm not sure what makes you think UCLA and UC Berkley's programs aren't hard.

Any 5+ year PhD program is hard. You will find it very hard to succeed if you're not passionate about linguistics; it's hard even if you're excellent at your work and dedicated to it. Furthermore, even if you somehow make it through, there are so many good applicants applying for each job that you'll find it difficult to secure employment. Maybe if you explain why you want to study linguistics (=what your goals are) we could help more, but given what you've said I can't think of any program that fits your needs.

I meant UC Berkley and UCLA programs are difficult so I can't go to those places because they are difficult. I don't want a 5+ program because that is difficult. Is not there like a linguistics program that is not difficult i.e. a somehow moderate linguistics program?

Thanks a lot

Edited by mq1

Please, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you will find anything like an easy PhD program. A PhD program requires lots of work and effort. As @fuzzylogician said, it is very hard to succeed in a PhD program. Many students who are very passionate about what they do end up burnt out after years studying, researching and working on their thesis. And, again, those are students who really love what they do. From your post I understand you see getting a PhD as an obligation, rather than something you want to do (if it's not the case, please, tell me), which will make the task of getting a PhD even harder.

I'm sorry if this sounded very blunt, but I think it's better to know the reality before starting any program. Don't get me wrong, it is not impossible, but it's not easy, either.

I don't know of any easy PhD programs in linguistics and I still don't understand why you want to do one. As it stands, I don't think you should be doing a PhD because, as I wrote above, you'll find it very difficult to finish and your job prospects at the end will likely not justify the effort.

I can only echo what others have said above. I don't think there are any easy PhD programmes in linguistics (or in any other field) - even less selective programmes are rather demanding. It's really weird that you are saying you are "supposed to" do a PhD as if you were forced to do so.

I'm not judging you, just want to see the motives behind your desire to pursue a PhD in a field you are not particularly passionate about. It would probably make it easier for us to help you.

Please, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you will find anything like an easy PhD program. A PhD program requires lots of work and effort. As @fuzzylogician said, it is very hard to succeed in a PhD program. Many students who are very passionate about what they do end up burnt out after years studying, researching and working on their thesis. And, again, those are students who really love what they do. From your post I understand you see getting a PhD as an obligation, rather than something you want to do (if it's not the case, please, tell me), which will make the task of getting a PhD even harder.

I'm sorry if this sounded very blunt, but I think it's better to know the reality before starting any program. Don't get me wrong, it is not impossible, but it's not easy, either.

Dear Sir/Mom

I love linguistics. It is my passion. But my friends tell me that there are tough programs in linguistics and there are also EASIER ones so I am looking for linguistics programs that are not very very difficult but just difficult, i.e. less difficult.

Yes I am supposed to do a PhD in linguistics otherwise I will lose my job. like I said I am an international.

You have a job that insists you leave it for 5 years for a PhD program abroad and will keep your position open for you when you return? That doesn't sound right. Assuming that you want the degree to better your position or salary in some future job, it'd be helpful to have more details about what you're looking for. Do you want to develop skills in education? In research? What field would you specialize in?

You have a job that insists you leave it for 5 years for a PhD program abroad and will keep your position open for you when you return? That doesn't sound right. Assuming that you want the degree to better your position or salary in some future job, it'd be helpful to have more details about what you're looking for. Do you want to develop skills in education? In research? What field would you specialize in?

I am telling you the truth.

You are also ignoring my questions. I am trying to help, but I am getting tired of this exchange.

Alright

I have a job that sent me to the US to get a PhD in linguistics so that I can teach linguistics when I come back home. I should have a concentration in phonology so that I specifically should become a phonology professor. I have nothing to do with applied linguistics or TESOL. I must major in theoretical linguistics. Sir/Mom, did I miss any of your questions?

Hi! I'm also international. Why don't you try to get into master's program first? At some point, personally I realized that I don't have enough experience or background to pursue any PhD program and got into a wonderful MA program first to see whether I am able to study at the graduate level.

Besides, MA is also a degree and it's not that bad.

To get into ANY PhD program for an international student is extremely difficult, especially if English is not your native language.

You know, I don't think there are "easier" and "harder" linguistics programs. If you aren't halfway decent or you don't put in the effort, you won't succeed. Period. I'd strongly recommend taking Marina's advice and attempting an MA program first to see if you're ready for the rigors of a graduate program in linguistics. If you pursue an MA program at a school that also has a PhD program, you can almost certainly apply your MA credits toward your PhD afterward if you decide to continue on.

If, however, you're looking for programs with easier admissions standards, those do exist. The two I can think of off the top of my head that might be a good fit are George Mason University and UC Davis. George Mason's PhD program is new, so despite the fact that it's excellent, their applicant pool is likely to be smaller than at a better-established school. In contrast, the program at Davis is huge, so they can support a lot of students, but they're not as well-known as say, Ohio State (which is huge but quite a bit more selective).

Good luck.

Like others have already said, I don't know of any "easy" programs. There are the US news rankings that you could look at for some idea of what's out there; really, linguistics is a pretty small field. If you are serious about the degree, however, you should be looking for researchers who could be potential advisors, and none of us can do that for you. Maybe an MA won't help you since you already have one but there are programs that allow you go earn a MA on your way to obtaining a PhD and that's not a bad option. That way, if things are too difficult or otherwise don't work out, you still get a US graduate degree.

I am telling you the truth.

Hey, you were just being rude. People relied to you are all from top linguistics PhD programs. We are trying to tell you the truth that it is impossible to quantify "difficulty/easiness" of Linguistics PhD programs. A university can not get lots of financial benefits from theoretical linguistics program, not like business, law program. I have to say those schools have linguistics program and fund students are no way easy to get in.

I am not trying to be judgmental. But, from your conversation with other people, I could tell you are not fit for PhD program. What do you mean by "I should be a professor" or "I am supposed to do a PhD otherwise I will lose my job". Are you sure you can get back your job after leaving the position for more than 5 years? Do you think international students can have part-time study in the U.S? Are you sure you could be a professor after 5 years' "easy" PhD training? I didn't see any passion from you about linguistics despite your repeated statements of "I love linguistics" "I want to do Phonology". My suggestion: if you do want to get in PhD Program and you do love linguistics, prepare yourself well, Do your current research in phonology, Talk to the professors you would like to work with. Prepare an excellent writing sample in your specialty, FORGET "easy", "less difficult" stuff.

Best of luck

I meant UC Berkley and UCLA programs are difficult so I can't go to those places because they are difficult. I don't want a 5+ program because that is difficult. Is not there like a linguistics program that is not difficult i.e. a somehow moderate linguistics program?

Thanks a lot

The people here are very friendly. They just tried their best to help you. Please don't feel disappointed or frustrated, if you didn't get the answer you had expected. Back to your concerns, I don't know which schools are easier to get in in terms of Linguistics program. But in my very personal opinions, the following schools are relatively harder to get in: MIT, Penn, Stanford, UM Amherst, U Maryland, Berkeley and UCLA (as you have already mentioned), Harvard, and Cornell. I am not discouraging from applying to these schools, just trying to answer your questions.

From your description, I guess your studies will be fully funded by the school you are working for right now. In this case, you can apply to some state universities that enjoy a big reputation in Linguistics but can afford to fund every student. Schools like Arizona State, UC Boulder, Rutgers, South Carolina, Michigan State, Delaware, Oregon, Kansas might be the ones you are trying to look for. Tell them that you have outside funding resources when you are doing the online application.

In terms of the length of a program, it mostly depends on how your research is going and your own abilities. If you have the ability to finish it in four years or even there years, no body in the department will give you a hard time on that as alone as you can pass your dissertation defense. I hope my post can be helpful to you.

Good luck.

Hi everyone

i'm a new member and i'm from Iran. i got my BA in English language translation with the GPA of 3.87 and my MA from a well-known university in Iran with the GPA of 3.56. I'm really interested in cognitive linguistics and i'm going to write papers for 3 international conferences outside Iran. I'm now preparing myself for TOEFL and GRE though i'm not worried about TOEFl (above 610 PBT). My only concern is GRE which is a hard exam for a person whose first language isn't English. What i really want to do is getting another MA from a university in the US with cognitive science specialty. I think this way i have a better chance of being accepted in PhD program of top 10 universities. What is your idea about my condition? Do i have a chance of being admitted with full fund for MA? Thank you very much in advance n i'm happy to find all these successful persons in linguistics.