University of Chicago?

humdevphd

No, I haven't received any official notification yet. But according to the admissions info online, they don't send out official letters until the first week of March. However, my potential advisor who emailed me with acceptance info told me what's included in my package. AND when I went to the website myself, there was info on the standard package for those in Social Sciences - which was the same as what she told me. Did you look at that? Check out this article: http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/070215/graduateaid.shtml.

• 2 weeks later...
have final offers been made for the comparative human dev. program?? i haven't heard anything from them :(

I'm not sure if they've gone through the waitlist yet, but the initial offers have been made.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'll probably be going to Chicago this fall. So have you guys applied for housing? Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm an international student, and would appreciate any info that might help me make accommodation-related decisions! (I would really want to stay on-campus)

Thanks!

Hi s58 (et alia). I'm also going to U of C in the fall, and I've heard from the grad students that the university-controlled housing you can sign up for (I think you should probably have gotten a packet about it within your larger U of C packet) is very good and very competitively priced. So if you're stressed about trying to think about housing, you can always go that route (I probably am!).

Hi all,

I just sent in my acceptance to the UChicago Human Genetics program. Are any of you going to be in the Biological Sciences Division? I haven't received any housing packet, is that something you receive after you send in your official acceptance? Are you all starting in the fall? I was thinking about starting in the summer but would have to figure out funding. Any thoughts? Hope to see some of you guys next year!

I stayed at the International House a number of years ago (I think they've redone it since then). I liked the U of Chicago area but there are some tough spots around the south side of Chicago. I'd be curious to hear how undergraduates there feel about the graduate students - as the school bills itself as "the teacher of teachers". Do the undergrads there feel as though they don't get enough attention?

@ comfect - thanks! yup I'll be going for university controlled housing only. Which division are you part of, and what will course will you be doing?

@geneticsgal22 - No, even I haven't received my housing packet..I guess they'll send us that only after we send in our official acceptance.

Has anyone heard any other reviews about International House?

I'd be curious to hear how undergraduates there feel about the graduate students - as the school bills itself as "the teacher of teachers". Do the undergrads there feel as though they don't get enough attention?

I was an undergrad at the UofC. Great place. The only times I really noticed the grad students were when they were TAs for my classes. I was fairly peeved that my calculus class was taught completely by a TA with an accent so thick I couldn't understand a word he was saying. On the other hand, the TAs for the physics classes were invaluable as they could often explain things from a less lofty height than the Nobel-winning physicists that taught many of the classes.

Generally though I would say that I felt the professors paid a lot of attention to the undergrads. In fact since we were in the minority, I sort of felt that made us special. :)

Hi Everyone,

I just sent in my acceptance of UofC's offer of admission, so I will be there in the fall. I am debating about on vs. off campus housing. When you guys got your letters of admission do you also get a packet of info on housing, etc.? I didn't. Also, to the International House person ... Was it nice? Convenient? And, did you feel like you were in a bubble on campus, or was it easy enough to get to the city that you didn't really notice? Thanks and Congrats to all!

I was wondering whether International House is a better option than rest of the on-campus housing? It seems cheaper than some of the other on-campus housing, but any other comments?

When I say a packet, it was about 2 sheets - one of information (and referral to the housing website) and one of a housing form. It came along with my acceptance - and it would have been easy to miss if I hadn't accidentally not taken it out of the envelope at first and so seen it when I went diving in again to find something else I'd missed.

I've heard that the U of C-controlled housing is quite good, and convenient, but I don't know about it relative to International House.

Hey everyone, I was waitlisted for the Harris School and I was wondering if anyone has any idea about the waitlist system. It's my last shot at school so hopefully it works out, but I'm not very confident at all, since I was not really expecting to get in at all.

I'll be there in September for my Computer Science Ph.D. I think I'm in the same boat as everyone - trying to decide about house. Going through the university seems easiest, given that I'm coming from the opposite side of the world. But deciding between an off-campus apartment and one of International House or New Grad is harder - I'm trying to weigh up having my own kitchen versus the lower cost and possibly better social life.

Hi Everyone,

Congrats to all! I'll also be joining this Fall for a PhD in chemistry. I've mailed my seniors at UChicago to find out about their opinions on the housing options. Will let you guys know, as soon as they reply.

I was just wondering, how far is IIT from UChicago? Do UChicago students share their apartments with IIT students?

Cheers,

Srikant

Hey guys - I did my undergrad at UofC, here's a website that might be helpful:

http://marketplace.uchicago.edu - this is how I found my apartments, also good for furniture and odds and ends.

I was just wondering, how far is IIT from UChicago? Do UChicago students share their apartments with IIT students?

Cheers,

Srikant

Closer than downtown or the north side, but I'm not aware of IIT students and UofC students sharing apartments. If you're willing to do the commute, you can basically live anywhere in the city. I know some people would rather live north than south, which can be a commute of around an hour, if not more, depending where you are.

Feel free to message me with logistical questions! Congrats all!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I plan to look at both off and on campus housing. I've been told to stay away from Stony Island. Any other streets to avoid? Any idea why that one was mentioned? Here is another site that may be useful, http://www.chicagoapartmentsearcher.com

I live a block away from Stony Island at 57th. Honestly, I don't know what apartments you would even find on Stony Island, apart from the under grad dorm there. I don't think Stony Island is any worse than the other streets, that being said. Personally I would look from 53rd to 59th, Lake Shore to Cottage Grove. Hope that helps!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use