This was cruel

jino

So this morning I wake up and to an email from USC with the subject: "A Rewarding Opportunity from Dean Yortsos of USC Engineering"

It takes me about 30 secs to calm my fast beating heart down first, before I start reading. Turns out this was just a generic email sent to all applicants about financial aid :(

And here I thought I was finally gonna get to read my first acceptance email :( This shit is driving me crazy.

I got a letter in the mail the other day from one of my schools saying they had received my FAFSA application. Gee thanks.

It's stories like that that make me think maybe they purposely screw around with people. I mean, what in the heck? Can't someone in the office realize that this is a stressful process and every email with a remotely encouraging subject line is going to prompt certain optimistic assumptions?

Only b/c I work in Student Services, and am in the same area as financial aid...they have to send that kind of stuff out, ya know? They aren't in the loop about whether the students will be admitted or not. Still is annoying, I know!!

It's stories like that that make me think maybe they purposely screw around with people. I mean, what in the heck? Can't someone in the office realize that this is a stressful process and every email with a remotely encouraging subject line is going to prompt certain optimistic assumptions?

That's not as cruel as what happened to one of my friend's yesterday.

She received a rejection letter from the department she applied to a U Kansas (a school she very interested in) about a week or two ago. Yesterday, she received a two sentence letter from Graduate Studies at U Kansas that curt and biting in tone, telling her she had been rejected. It was like insult to injury!

Well, I know that when I see an email with flowery language like "Rewarding Opportunity" it means that the sender is trying to sell me something. ;)

Getting a letter about financial aid would also upset me. You kind of assume that they have your fafsa/don't need it until you're admitted.

I really don't know why schools can't pick a firm date for decisions. They pick a firm application deadline precisely so that applications don't keep fluttering in, right, so why not put an endpoint on their deliberations? It doesn't have to be Feb 22, it could be March 10 for all I care. Then at least, I would not be obessessing about it until THAT DAY.

I received an email from one of the schools I applied to with the title "An Invitation"...blood rushed to my face as I opened the email (based from the timeline, I should be expecting results last week)...turns out it was an invitation to all applicants to join their seminar/forum last Saturday. Argh! I hate spam email.

I received a letter saying that they had received my FAFSA as well. On top of that, they said that they needed more info before they could further process my application BUT didn't list what the info was. So I had to call them and the secretary told me that it was just a generic letter and to ignore it. Well, if it was generic, why did you say that I needed to send in more info???