Research Experience.. What exactly are they looking for?

raybigs92

I know "research experience" is very important to most applications for graduate psychology programs but having undertaken no formal research units in my undergrad (as yet..) I am curious as to what exactly "research experience" refers to.

What exactly constitutes research experience?

What did most people do for experience in undergrad and prior to entering any kind of graduate program?

Is it imperative that I take a research class?

I was told by a friend that telephone counselling was in this category but I do not believe this to be the case. Would this fall more under community service?

Thanks in advance!

At my university, "research experience" means working in a lab (either volunteering, for credit, or possibly for pay) and assisting with projects. The faculty mentor will generally decide how much involvement they are comfortable with you having. For example, when I began working in a lab my junior year or college, I primarily did data entry and screening phone calls (for community participants). Now over the summer and during my senior year I will be running participants for another study. So the term is very broad.

If you want to make yourself an even better applicant, consider doing an independent project or senior thesis. You will need the help of a faculty member (perhaps if you have already done some work for them in their lab, they will be willing to guide you). An independent project shows ad comms a few things: 1) You can see a project through from beginning to end, 2) You have experienced all aspects and phases of a project, 3) You have research interests and are willing to pursue answers to specific questions.

The overall message here is get involved in research. Of course research classes are a plus and will make you look stronger on paper. But really you just need to get into a lab and become a sponge...Take in everything, do whatever they need you to do (data entry, calls, etc.) and earn their trust. This should also provide you some great letter writers when all is said and done.

Hope this helps!

What they said ^ "working in a lab (either volunteering, for credit, or possibly for pay) and assisting with projects". Try and see if you can do more than data entry.

In addition to what ILuv said, there are two more reasons for requiring research experience.

1) PhD’s and academia in general are very research intensive. Having research experience lets them know that you understand what you are getting yourself into.

2) Experience in a lab suggests that you will be familiar with processes, programs and protocols, and therefore, easier to train so that you become an asset to your PI in a shorter time period.

Research experience means different things in different contexts, but keeping the previous two points in mind should help you recognize “good” research experiences.

I have been looking into this more over the past few days and I'm now quite confused. Obviously getting research experience is the goal for me however I may or may not have mentioned that I am finishing my final credits via distance which rules out research at my home institution. I am now located in Australia and have initiated contact with a number of professors at universities here regarding becoming a volunteer but have yet to receive a reply.

If December arrives and applications due, and I have no official research experience, am I doomed for rejection by all MA programs? I have read different things all over the place! Some people seem to suggest that the MA will get you research experience, does this mean that it is possible to get in without it?

• 9 years later...
On 6/4/2012 at 6:36 AM, misswhisker said:

I know "research experience" is very important to most applications for graduate psychology programs but having undertaken no formal research units in my undergrad (as yet..) I am curious as to what exactly "research experience" refers to.

What exactly constitutes research experience?

What did most people do for experience in undergrad and prior to entering any kind of graduate program?

Is it imperative that I take a research class?

I was told by a friend that telephone counselling was in this category but I do not believe this to be the case. Would this fall more under community service?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Removed b/c I realized the above poster grave-dug this thread from 2012 LOL (not 2021 like I thought)

Edited by Clinapp2017