Asian Studies 2013

I struggle with this too! But I think I've decided that I'll just have to love contemporary Japanese literature as a part of my life but not my career, while I study East Asian art history. But being on cloud 9 after that dinner does indicate a passion in the political side, etc! So you'd probably be happy in either!

That's a great point. Just because we have to focus in on an interest doesn't mean we have to give up on our other loves. 

That reminds me. I feel like this is an excellent time to just ask, because I've running it over in my head several times. I've always planned on getting a PhD in History because I assumed that was the only way I could get to my end goal--teaching and researching at a college. However, after a lot of prodding from my LOR/adviser, I've been wondering if I could accomplish the same goal by earning a PhD in an East Asian Studies or East Asian Languages and Culture program. My research interests are twentieth century social history in Japan, so it kind of works for both programs. 

So my question, what sort of placements do East Asian Studies/EALAC PhDs get? What/where are their jobs? 

Congrats~! All newly admitted students 

A unofficial admission mail from Winconsin-Madison makes me delurked to ask a question about funding.

I had applied to TAship for Chinese language, but the department strongly encouraged me to apply for a Korean teaching assistant since I am a Korean. In this case, am I guaranteed to be a TA, or how much possibility I have to be a TA? 

That's a great point. Just because we have to focus in on an interest doesn't mean we have to give up on our other loves.      That reminds me. I feel like this is an excellent time to just ask, because I've running it over in my head several times. I've always planned on getting a PhD in History because I assumed that was the only way I could get to my end goal--teaching and researching at a college. However, after a lot of prodding from my LOR/adviser, I've been wondering if I could accomplish the same goal by earning a PhD in an East Asian Studies or East Asian Languages and Culture program. My research interests are twentieth century social history in Japan, so it kind of works for both programs.    So my question, what sort of placements do East Asian Studies/EALAC PhDs get? What/where are their jobs? 
I know someone who did an MA in E Asia studies and then went on to a history PhD. I guess it depends on your focus. I considered EALC degrees but found I'm having better luck overall honing in more on the specific concentration (art history). I'm sure you could stay in academics with a phd in EALC and teach.

Someone in the results survey posted an admission to Harvard's RSEA. Can someone claim this admission? And what website? I checked my ApplyYourself account, but I don't see anything... Should I freak out?

Weighing UC Berkeley vs. Stanford Asian / East Asian Studies Master programs.... Does anyone have any feedback on the two programs?  If money isn't an issue nor campus lifestyle of city vs suburb, do you rate one program better than the other?

Hi everyone I'm applying to PhD programs next year but I have a few questions. Will I be more competitive for admissions if I don't need language grants? I've been studying Korean and Chinese since I was seven years old because my parents thought (correctly) that Asia is the future and have native level in both of them now . I was curious if a department would find me more competitive because they would save money on me. Also what would I be more competitive for? I originally was planning on doing a PhD in comparative east asian politics my undergraduate degree is in International Relations from Georgetown's WSFS and I have been working for a defense contractor for the past 2 years. But my heart is really set on folklore. But since I have no degree in anthropology or literature I am worried that I won't be taken seriously. My gpa from georgetown was a 3.7 and my GRE is very high. I already made a list of universities I plan to apply to next year but I'm really getting anxious about all of this. 

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Rather than hoping to "coast in" because you have language skills and therefore might save them money, I'd recommend highlighting the fact that you'll be able to dig into your future research right away. Most likely, they will still want you to apply for language grants to improve your level even further. And any time or money that they'd be saving with you could be cancelled out if you need to take additional courses to address any methodological gaps you may have.

Changing disciplines can be tricky, but it's not impossible (and certainly not unheard of!). However, you do need to make a compelling case for it.  Your letters of reference should be from people who not only address your intelligence and work ethic, but who also are familiar enough with your field that they can describe your fit and suitability for it. Your writing sample should be related to the subject matter and show evidence of being able to engage with the material. You should also be able to show that you can do the analysis and work in the writing style typical for your field (or at least show potential).

Don't talk yourself out of this if it's what you really want. Spin your negatives into positives. Talk to you potential advisors. Put time and thought into why you want to do this change in study and what you'd be willing to do (are you open to MA programs? Are you open to possibly taking additional undergrad classes if accepted to a PhD program?). One thing that a professor once told me is that you want to be sure that at least one person in the department will read your application and say "I want to work with this person." They will fight for you, no matter what your perceived "weaknesses," and that is truly invaluable. So, don't be afraid to email and introduce yourself. You should also ask whether or not they will be accepting new students for the upcoming year; if they're retiring or going on sabbatical, then you need to know not to apply there.

Just so you know, I also applied for programs this year after taking a multi-year break to experience life in the working world. I feel that this time off really grounded me and made me more prepared and certain that I wanted to return to academia. I was worried that I wouldn't get in many places, but actually the response has been amazing. You can definitely do this, particularly if you have the passion and relevant language skills.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Rather than hoping to "coast in" because you have language skills and therefore might save them money, I'd recommend highlighting the fact that you'll be able to dig into your future research right away. Most likely, they will still want you to apply for language grants to improve your level even further. And any time or money that they'd be saving with you could be cancelled out if you need to take additional courses to address any methodological gaps you may have.

Changing disciplines can be tricky, but it's not impossible (and certainly not unheard of!). However, you do need to make a compelling case for it.  Your letters of reference should be from people who not only address your intelligence and work ethic, but who also are familiar enough with your field that they can describe your fit and suitability for it. Your writing sample should be related to the subject matter and show evidence of being able to engage with the material. You should also be able to show that you can do the analysis and work in the writing style typical for your field (or at least show potential).

Don't talk yourself out of this if it's what you really want. Spin your negatives into positives. Talk to you potential advisors. Put time and thought into why you want to do this change in study and what you'd be willing to do (are you open to MA programs? Are you open to possibly taking additional undergrad classes if accepted to a PhD program?). One thing that a professor once told me is that you want to be sure that at least one person in the department will read your application and say "I want to work with this person." They will fight for you, no matter what your perceived "weaknesses," and that is truly invaluable. So, don't be afraid to email and introduce yourself. You should also ask whether or not they will be accepting new students for the upcoming year; if they're retiring or going on sabbatical, then you need to know not to apply there.

Just so you know, I also applied for programs this year after taking a multi-year break to experience life in the working world. I feel that this time off really grounded me and made me more prepared and certain that I wanted to return to academia. I was worried that I wouldn't get in many places, but actually the response has been amazing. You can definitely do this, particularly if you have the passion and relevant language skills.

Sorry for the long reply, but one more note - talk to grad students. Some programs actually provide bios for this PhD students on their websites. Read through those and ask potential advisors to talk to grad students. They're often very honest and upfront about the program, the professors, the other students, and their own backgrounds. You may find that you have more academic preparation than they did when they entered.

Edited by fuujintoraijin

Someone in the results survey posted an admission to Harvard's RSEA. Can someone claim this admission? And what website? I checked my ApplyYourself account, but I don't see anything... Should I freak out?

Same with me.

Did you notice another result report claiming to have recieved email from POI?

Same with me.

Did you notice another result report claiming to have recieved email from POI?

Yeah. I saw one about POI email, one just email without further information, and one saying there is notification on website. Based on past results it seems like postal service is the norm. I won't go so far to call those as troll posts, but I have my doubts until someone claims them in this thread.

Yeah. I saw one about POI email, one just email without further information, and one saying there is notification on website. Based on past results it seems like postal service is the norm. I won't go so far to call those as troll posts, but I have my doubts until someone claims them in this thread.

I would vote for postal service. The website one is really weird. What website could it be except for applyyourself? This is not a very big program. I don't think they would reveal some results and hold on to others, would they? We'd better just wait.

Thanks to all the advice. About language skills I have taken I do say I am native in both those languages because they are both my milk languages. Also thanks for the contacting of PIs. I decided I'm going to first apply for masters because after talking to my professors they both put me in contact with the heads of the Harvard, Columbia, and Princeton East Asian departments. I have a meeting with the Harvard one next Tuesday and I'm driving up to Cambridge on Saturday. I actually had a sit down with one of my LOR and my parents. I was really ill my sophomore year and my LOR actually visited me in the hospital and kept me company by arguing trilateral relations strategies for Korea, Japan, and USA I didn't realize he was a friend of my Dad's and I asked him why he never told me, his response was he didn't want me to think I would get special treatment so this guy is totally epic. I was really really afraid of disappointing everyone because my LOR really has become a mentor to me and without his support I don't think I would have the same opportunities I do now. We all came to a compromise, I am going to do East Asian studies masters and phd degree and instead of pure folklore I am going to research culture and history in regards to political legitimacy. I am quitting my job in a week and flying to China, Korea, and Japan in May where I plan to use my savings and hopefully apply for a grant to spend 18 months traveling around the three countries recording local folktales and myths and translate them into english and publish them into a gigantic anthology. Also this way I will collect lots and lots of books so when I die if I end up a professor after a lifetime in the foreign service I can contribute to the maintaing of academic knowledge. :) hooray for set futures!

Edited by huayhangul

I vote for the postal service too. The website one did feel weird and I serious doubt his/her intention. so I hope the one who posted the POI one might come out and give us more detail information, it would be highly appreciated!:) actually during the past few months the admission officer seems to be Pretty positive and nice to any inquiry I have but yesterday I wrote to her saying that " I saw a post on thegradcafe suggestting us to check the website status" and she did not respond .I guess she might find me silly and dubious lol

Edited by budapestflower

Hi everyone!  Quick question.  I am interested in researching Chinese literature eventually, but I'm not at that level yet.  I want to get into an Asian Studies master's program so that I can improve my language level and take literature classes, Does anyone know how many years of Chinese I need to have in order to get into such a program?  

Hi everyone!  Quick question.  I am interested in researching Chinese literature eventually, but I'm not at that level yet.  I want to get into an Asian Studies master's program so that I can improve my language level and take literature classes, Does anyone know how many years of Chinese I need to have in order to get into such a program?  

They want "advanced" level of language proficiency, but I will translate that as having completed 2nd year or beyond. This is not a hard cut-off by no means, but that's my estimate (for whatever it's worth). Anything beyond should be seen as more of a bonus than as a pre-requisite.

Edited by PDCU

I'd say more 3rd or 4th year. Some schools are also more demanding on language than others. Columbia and Berkeley are known for that. It makes sense though. And with all the pressure in recent years to shorten the time period to complete one's phd, many school start to expect student to have language ready already. Gets complicated when you do colonial korea and have to know both korean and japanese --_--

Any master's program that I contacted/read their program's information said three years of study. Some said that three years were expected. Others said that three or more would be great but they'd do less if well qualified. It depends on each program I think. But I think having three years should make your eligible for a large percent of programs. 

Okay, Harvard RSEA people, I took one for the team and called the program administrator to find out what is going on just now. She said, "All the letters have been sent out sometime last week. But I didn't send them so I'm not sure." According to her, the department doesn't notify applicants through phone calls or emails, and "anything you will receive will be from the GSAS."

I'm going to cling to hope until end of this week, but if I don't hear anything by next week, then I'm going to assume rejection.

Hope this helps.

Okay, Harvard RSEA people, I took one for the team and called the program administrator to find out what is going on just now. She said, "All the letters have been sent out sometime last week. But I didn't send them so I'm not sure." According to her, the department doesn't notify applicants through phone calls or emails, and "anything you will receive will be from the GSAS."I'm going to cling to hope until end of this week, but if I don't hear anything by next week, then I'm going to assume rejection.Hope this helps.

Hey thanks man, actually I got my response which goes:

"Thank you for your email.

I believe that GSAS is in the process of sending letters out by mail to

applicants. Also, I have heard that decisions may be found online;

however, I cannot confirm this. You should receive a notification letter

no later than the end of March.

Best of luck!"

Really polite reply but I guess the "website status" she mentioned is like to appear pretty late for accepting the offer process

Anyway wait patiently and best of luck to you too:)

And remember to share us some detail about the big envelop when you get it lol

Edited by budapestflower

I wanted to drop in real quick to say that I was the poster in the results section who was accepted into Harvard's RSEA program. I am actually at a conference and am not home, so I was incredibly grateful to have received a personal email from my POI. I am in Korea Studies. I did not receive a funding offer, but I am waiting on more news. I called home and my roommate told me that my official acceptance packet came in the mail a few days ago. I haven't checked the website yet. I imagine that means that all decisions have been made, but I wouldn't fret too much if you haven't received an offer -- you may be wait listed. I don't think it's typical to have a personal email, though. I was actually wondering if anyone knows of the placement rate for RSEA alumns or where they go. I was unable to find any information... But will certainly be inquiring when I have time.

I wanted to drop in real quick to say that I was the poster in the results section who was accepted into Harvard's RSEA program. I am actually at a conference and am not home, so I was incredibly grateful to have received a personal email from my POI. I am in Korea Studies. I did not receive a funding offer, but I am waiting on more news. I called home and my roommate told me that my official acceptance packet came in the mail a few days ago. I haven't checked the website yet. I imagine that means that all decisions have been made, but I wouldn't fret too much if you haven't received an offer -- you may be wait listed. I don't think it's typical to have a personal email, though. I was actually wondering if anyone knows of the placement rate for RSEA alumns or where they go. I was unable to find any information... But will certainly be inquiring when I have time.
Actually I do know a lot of RSEA graduates and their current job. Does this affect your decision or something?

Oh absolutely! I would love to hear any insight you my have.

Well, as you know that East Asian Studies is not a major or faculty, instead it is a interdisciplinary program which is taken as a springboard for PHD program, you seem already have a focus like anthropology ?it is good for you to have a specific focus because I don't think an EALC phd degree will win you more chance when it come to find an anthropology related job. Like if you wanna focus on Inter-Korea relations then maybe political science might be the best choice. Because people learn really general things there in RSEA department. I know a few alumnus one of them works at the East Asian Triple Cooperation in South Korea (class 2010) and others are pursuing their phd in history department or sociology department, yeah there are people who are in EALC but rarely from RSEA, and also I happened to know that class 2013 have very few people who intended to continue their phd study in EALC, but may I ask what is your plan for phd before I make any further suggestions. Edited by budapestflower

The message I got from the program goes: 

"GSAS issues the decisions.  You should be notified by mail no later than the end of March or early April. "

So, good luck to all~!

I think those are rejections based on the survey results... :(