Asian Studies 2013

Thank you, kyjin! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I also applied to Cornell but have yet to hear anything from them--though three people posted rejections last week. Does that mean that the acceptances have been sent out already? >,<

Just joined, so a bit behind!

I applied to 9 programs:

University of Southern California (History, PhD) - Accepted, 5 years funding

University of California, Los Angeles (Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Accepted, 4 years funding

University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (East Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Accepted, 5 years funding

University of California, Santa Barbara (Religion, PhD) - Accepted, in line for funding but no details

Columbia University (East Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Accepted, 5 years funding

University of California, Berkeley (Asian Studies, MA) - Accepted, no funding

Harvard University (East Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Not accepted for PhD, waiting to hear for AM

University of Alberta (Asian Studies, MA) - Haven't heard yet

Princeton University (Religious Studies, PhD) - Haven't heard yet

Alberta and Berkley were backups, so I'll be crossing those two off the list (probably Harvard too). I haven't decided 100% about the others yet. I'm waiting to hear back from everywhere and compare funding packages and overall fit with professors. My area is premodern Japanese religion and history. I really didn't expect such an incredibly positive response, so this is really quite overwhelming (in the best way possible!).

Yes! I will be going to the USC meeting day. I'm curious to see what will happen with Princeton, but I really think it's going to come down to Columbia and USC. I want to visit Columbia too, but they don't have a set meeting day that I'm aware of. I think I'll aim to go up at the end of March or beginning of April.

Glad to see some Asian Studies activity on here! I split my apps between EAS programs and Complit and was lucky enough to get into one of my top choices this round. However, I applied two years ago and got sent to a funded Master's program which was/is amazing and really helped me focus and get some knowledge on the state of the field. It seems like more and more EAS programs are looking for students with MA's, so if you've got a funded option, I say go for it!

I agree with this sentiment too! I also found a funded MA program in Religious Studies, and I am so glad I did that before the PhD. It really focused my studies and interests, and it made me a better scholar. I also took a few years between my MA and PhD to get some working experience and make absolutely certain that was the direction I wanted to go. I think that perspective helped me write a stronger SOP.

Hey everybody! 

I know a couple others applied to UCLA's East Asian Studies program. The news was emailed to me tonight. Make sure you check! No funding was mentioned, but I'm so excited right now that I have an option. 

Edit: Also, forgot to mention. I was told that my official email of acceptance will be coming shortly. It was a pre-official email acceptance. 

Edited by aec09g

I got into Columbia RSEA Master and also LSE Ms China in Comparative Perspectives. My focus will be contemporary China, anthropology/sociology and I plan to do a PHD degree after my master. Anyone has any thoughts on these two programs? 

Just joined, so a bit behind!

I applied to 9 programs:

University of Southern California (History, PhD) - Accepted, 5 years funding

University of California, Los Angeles (Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Accepted, 4 years funding

University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (East Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Accepted, 5 years funding

University of California, Santa Barbara (Religion, PhD) - Accepted, in line for funding but no details

Columbia University (East Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Accepted, 5 years funding

University of California, Berkeley (Asian Studies, MA) - Accepted, no funding

Harvard University (East Asian Languages & Cultures, PhD) - Not accepted for PhD, waiting to hear for AM

University of Alberta (Asian Studies, MA) - Haven't heard yet

Princeton University (Religious Studies, PhD) - Haven't heard yet

Alberta and Berkley were backups, so I'll be crossing those two off the list (probably Harvard too). I haven't decided 100% about the others yet. I'm waiting to hear back from everywhere and compare funding packages and overall fit with professors. My area is premodern Japanese religion and history. I really didn't expect such an incredibly positive response, so this is really quite overwhelming (in the best way possible!).

Just heard - did not get into Princeton. First rejection, but considering I got into my top schools and had a really good response overall, I'm actually not disappointed at all :)

Just heard - did not get into Princeton. First rejection, but considering I got into my top schools and had a really good response overall, I'm actually not disappointed at all :)

Also got my Princeton reject today. Hurt me just because they had me in for an interview, so I was already in love with the place. Oh well.  USC is sounding better and better everyday. :) And at least I only have more program to hear from, then I'm done!

Hey everybody! 

I know a couple others applied to UCLA's East Asian Studies program. The news was emailed to me tonight. Make sure you check! No funding was mentioned, but I'm so excited right now that I have an option. 

Edit: Also, forgot to mention. I was told that my official email of acceptance will be coming shortly. It was a pre-official email acceptance. 

Yep I got into UCLA's East Asian Studies too, with some funding. Are you thinking about going? 

Hi everyone,

I got into:

UC Irvine (PhD, no mention of funding yet)

UCLA (MA, just got the notice today, no mention of funding)

University of Illinois (MA, no funding)

UT at Austin (MA, no mention of funding yet).

I also got rejected for MA at Michigan.

Is it normal to not hear back about funding options yet? I'm straight out of undergrad, so I'm still kind of clueless about grad funding, though I did do my FAFSA already. 

Congrats to everyone else! My concentration is Korean Studies, so I hope there are other Koreanists out there haha. :) We're a small bunch, huh...

Hi everyone,

I got into:

Is it normal to not hear back about funding options yet? I'm straight out of undergrad, so I'm still kind of clueless about grad funding, though I did do my FAFSA already. 

Congrats to everyone else! My concentration is Korean Studies, so I hope there are other Koreanists out there haha. :) We're a small bunch, huh...

Funding is a bit uncommon for MA's, although not impossible (it depends upon what resources they have available). It's not unreasonable to express your interest and ask about possibilities for funding and TAships. A lot of programs will also list if they have funding opportunities for both MA and PhD students on their webpages.

Also got my Princeton reject today. Hurt me just because they had me in for an interview, so I was already in love with the place. Oh well.  USC is sounding better and better everyday. :) And at least I only have more program to hear from, then I'm done!

Ah, sorry to hear that. But yeah, USC is hardly a consolation prize! Princeton was the last one I was really waiting to hear from, but I still want to see what the specifics for funding from USC are and visit the campuses.

Yep I got into UCLA's East Asian Studies too, with some funding. Are you thinking about going? 

I am thinking about it, though I got no information regarding funding. ): I was hoping I would receive some information when the official news came, but since you got information, may I inquire some details? (:  Was it in your email or did you ask the department further? Are you considering the offer seriously?  

Ah, sorry to hear that. But yeah, USC is hardly a consolation prize! Princeton was the last one I was really waiting to hear from, but I still want to see what the specifics for funding from USC are and visit the campuses.
Yeah, I really hope they send out the packages soon. I'm really looking forward to the visit in two weeks. I've never been to California before :) Just waiting on Michigan now. We'll see.

Funding is a bit uncommon for MA's, although not impossible (it depends upon what resources they have available). It's not unreasonable to express your interest and ask about possibilities for funding and TAships. A lot of programs will also list if they have funding opportunities for both MA and PhD students on their webpages.

Thanks fuujintoraijin. I'm going to wait until after I hear back from my other three schools and then I'll figure out finances. Thanks for the input.

Next~ I have been lurking on this thread as well. I am a Korea Studies scholar, accepted into UW's JSIS MA International Studies: Korea program today. I also applied to 4 phd anthropology programs and Harvard's Regional Studies -- East Asia AM program. UW's program is much better, so I'm 90% sure I will be accepting this offer. Waiting on funding and other admissions decisions. Best of luck everyone.

I am thinking about it, though I got no information regarding funding. ): I was hoping I would receive some information when the official news came, but since you got information, may I inquire some details? (:  Was it in your email or did you ask the department further? Are you considering the offer seriously?  

It was in the email. They mentioned it right after the decision. I don't know if I will go yet. I got into Columbia Regional Studies -East Asia, but with no money. I will wait until all my results come out. It's weird that Columbia asks for replies before March 5th, way ahead of most schools' decisions come out. 

It was in the email. They mentioned it right after the decision. I don't know if I will go yet. I got into Columbia Regional Studies -East Asia, but with no money. I will wait until all my results come out. It's weird that Columbia asks for replies before March 5th, way ahead of most schools' decisions come out. 

Wow, you have to decide about Columbia before March 5th? That's so early! I never applied to RSEA, but I definitely understand. Funding is a major part of the decision process. 

I know that I have to turn down my acceptance at UCLA, if I receive no funding. It's just too expensive and unfeasible in the job market to take on that kind of debt.

What other programs did you apply on? Waiting for many more? 

Wow, you have to decide about Columbia before March 5th? That's so early! I never applied to RSEA, but I definitely understand. Funding is a major part of the decision process. 

I know that I have to turn down my acceptance at UCLA, if I receive no funding. It's just too expensive and unfeasible in the job market to take on that kind of debt.

What other programs did you apply on? Waiting for many more? 

I've updated the schools in my signature. I'm an international student studying in the U.S. so I don't expect to get money generally. What's your top choice? 

Hi everyone,

I got into:

Hey I'm a Koreanist too! High five! I also got into UCI for PhD... When is your visit day?

I've updated the schools in my signature. I'm an international student studying in the U.S. so I don't expect to get money generally. What's your top choice? 

I really wanted to be placed in UW-Madison's program, but I'm near 100% certain I'm rejected. There was a load of acceptances about two weeks ago, and I just know I'm sort of waiting on the rejection notification. 

However, I'd like to get into Columbia's program. It's sort of competing for second place with UCLA. Both programs are great, but when I talked to my POI in the fall at Columbia, I found out they are not so . . . "giving" with the funding. 

I'm trying my best though not to fall too much for a specific program. I chose all these programs because I liked them a lot and could love being there. Give me an acceptance, and then I'll go about learning if I afford to live there and in the end the results would be worth it. 

I really wanted to be placed in UW-Madison's program, but I'm near 100% certain I'm rejected. There was a load of acceptances about two weeks ago, and I just know I'm sort of waiting on the rejection notification. 

However, I'd like to get into Columbia's program. It's sort of competing for second place with UCLA. Both programs are great, but when I talked to my POI in the fall at Columbia, I found out they are not so . . . "giving" with the funding. 

I'm trying my best though not to fall too much for a specific program. I chose all these programs because I liked them a lot and could love being there. Give me an acceptance, and then I'll go about learning if I afford to live there and in the end the results would be worth it. 

Don't lose hope! Schools send out different rounds of application letters. Best wishes for your Madison program. Yeah, Columbia is kinda notoriously bad for funding Master's programs. Well, hope things work out for you in the end.