Asian Studies 2013

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question; I have been admitted to both Columbia and Stanford's East Asian Studies program (free-standing M.A.), and am currently deciding between the two (wait-listed for Harvard, but I doubt that I'll get in XD). I have talked to my professors, and most of them say that it is a matter of location, since both programs have strong faculty. My area of focus is Japanese literature. What does anyone else think, and is anyone also deciding between these two programs? Any information on any of these programs/universities would be much appreciated!  Thanks!  :)

Awesome! Any money is good money for an MA. :) Congrats!

Haha, not too nervous.  The last two moves I did were to unseen cities in different countries (Yokohama and Edmonton), but at least LA is back in the US and I've visited.  Does UCLA offer on-campus apartments for grad students? I'm in a campus apartment now for my MA and it's great.  I'll be looking off-campus though since I'll be in LA for at least three years before I head off for dissertation work.  Plus I'm planning on buying a car, so no real reason for me to be on-campus.

There is a grad student housing, and because I'm out of state, I'm from what I understand guarantee a spot. I did the math though, and it'd save me a bit if I was off campus even though I'd be there for just a year. Plus, parking is expensive! Somewhere around 250 for each quarter.

So I think off campus near a bus route, and I will plan to take the bus very early before class.

And I've been to LA once before. It was only for a day; I've spent more time in San Francisco and San Diego. But I think it'd be exciting to live in LA. I love being in big cities, and the middle sized city I'm in now just seems dull. :P 

There is a grad student housing, and because I'm out of state, I'm from what I understand guarantee a spot. I did the math though, and it'd save me a bit if I was off campus even though I'd be there for just a year. Plus, parking is expensive! Somewhere around 250 for each quarter.

So I think off campus near a bus route, and I will plan to take the bus very early before class.

And I've been to LA once before. It was only for a day; I've spent more time in San Francisco and San Diego. But I think it'd be exciting to live in LA. I love being in big cities, and the middle sized city I'm in now just seems dull. :P

Hi aec09g, I don't mean to butt into your conversation, but I was wondering which program will you be attending at UCLA? I'm curious because you mentioned it's a one year program, and I'm considering accepting an offer to their East Asian Studies terminal MA program but I'm a bit unclear as to the time frame of the program. 

Hi aec09g, I don't mean to butt into your conversation, but I was wondering which program will you be attending at UCLA? I'm curious because you mentioned it's a one year program, and I'm considering accepting an offer to their East Asian Studies terminal MA program but I'm a bit unclear as to the time frame of the program. 

Ack. Technically it's a two year program, and it's the East Asian Studies program. But after talking to the adviser for the program, I discovered that some incoming students can complete the program within a year's time.

The graduating requirements is having three years of an Asian language and nine courses that match requirements. I've already done three years of Japanese, so I've satisfied that. And since UCLA is on a quarter system, it is perfectly do-able to have 3 courses for the 3 quarters in the year. Meaning 9 courses completed in a year.

So anyways, it's two years, but apparently students are accepted who do complete the program within a year. 

I'd be very interested to know if you are thinking of the same program and if you go! Oh, and you should call the program adviser like I did. She was very helpful, and I think she works very hard to make sure her "students" are taken care of. I was sort of surprised by it. 

Last but not least, I'm going to go and officially accept UCLA today. (; And start stressing over the fact that I'm still going to be part of the application cycle this upcoming fall. 

Ack. Technically it's a two year program, and it's the East Asian Studies program. But after talking to the adviser for the program, I discovered that some incoming students can complete the program within a year's time.

The graduating requirements is having three years of an Asian language and nine courses that match requirements. I've already done three years of Japanese, so I've satisfied that. And since UCLA is on a quarter system, it is perfectly do-able to have 3 courses for the 3 quarters in the year. Meaning 9 courses completed in a year.

So anyways, it's two years, but apparently students are accepted who do complete the program within a year.

I'd be very interested to know if you are thinking of the same program and if you go! Oh, and you should call the program adviser like I did. She was very helpful, and I think she works very hard to make sure her "students" are taken care of. I was sort of surprised by it.

Last but not least, I'm going to go and officially accept UCLA today. (; And start stressing over the fact that I'm still going to be part of the application cycle this upcoming fall.

I think we are haha. I talked to the program adviser yesterday and she did seem extremely helpful and kind. I'm not sure if I'll be accepting their offer, since I just got a very tempting funding offer for a PhD at UCI. But either way, it appears we will be heading to the same area :)

Edited because I almost forgot to say congratulations!! And at least next year you'll be ready for this torture cycle lol

Edited by norangom

I think we are haha. I talked to the program adviser yesterday and she did seem extremely helpful and kind. I'm not sure if I'll be accepting their offer, since I just got a very tempting funding offer for a PhD at UCI. But either way, it appears we will be heading to the same area :)

Edited because I almost forgot to say congratulations!! And at least next year you'll be ready for this torture cycle lol

I can understand your dilemma. (; 

If you go, I'll definitely meet you though. Apparently there is a "planned" cohort of 10.  

I can understand your dilemma. (;

If you go, I'll definitely meet you though. Apparently there is a "planned" cohort of 10.

Finally made my decision on Saturday. It was rough, but I'll be attending UCI as an East Asian Studies PhD student. Good luck at UCLA, aec09g :)

Edited by norangom

Finally made my decision on Saturday. It was rough, but I'll be attending UCI as an East Asian Studies PhD student. Good luck at UCLA, aec09g :)

Thanks. (; 

Maybe all of us someday can meet each other at a conference. I only know of history conference, but if there are any that come up in Asian studies, I would be very much interested in attending. (: 

Thanks. (; 

Maybe all of us someday can meet each other at a conference. I only know of history conference, but if there are any that come up in Asian studies, I would be very much interested in attending. (: 

AAS Annual Conference would make the most sense. :) I attended last year in Toronto, which was a great opportunity to network with professors and other grad students.  It was in San Diego this year, but I had to miss it due to thesis work.  Next year is in Philadelphia, and I certainly will be attending!

AAS Annual Conference would make the most sense. :) I attended last year in Toronto, which was a great opportunity to network with professors and other grad students.  It was in San Diego this year, but I had to miss it due to thesis work.  Next year is in Philadelphia, and I certainly will be attending!

That is very cool. 

I will have to see where I'm at after the move to Los Angeles financially speaking, of course. But that would be amazingly fun. I've only been to the American Historical Association conference, where there were a few Asian enthusiasts, but not many at all. 

Plus, I've never been to Philadelphia! 

That is very cool. 

I will have to see where I'm at after the move to Los Angeles financially speaking, of course. But that would be amazingly fun. I've only been to the American Historical Association conference, where there were a few Asian enthusiasts, but not many at all. 

Plus, I've never been to Philadelphia! 

Philly is a fantastic place, but I might be biased since it's my hometown. :P You should see if there's any funding through UCLA that will pay for expenses to attend! I managed to get most of my trip covered last year with a grant from the GSA at my MA program.  It's harder to find travel funding if you're presenting at a conference, but there are ways. :)

Wait it's in Philly next year?? This is so ironic. I couldn't go this year because it was on the West Coast, and next year it'll be here and I'll be on the West Coast... lmao 

Wait it's in Philly next year?? This is so ironic. I couldn't go this year because it was on the West Coast, and next year it'll be here and I'll be on the West Coast... lmao 

Yep!  They actually have the cities and dates set for the next four years:

2014 PHILADELPHIA, PA (March 27–30)

2015: CHICAGO, IL (March 26–29)

2016: SEATTLE, WA (March 31–April 3)

2017: TORONTO, Canada (March 16–19)

I'll have to fly across the country too, but at least I can stay with my parents for the conference this year. :)

Yep!  They actually have the cities and dates set for the next four years:

2014 PHILADELPHIA, PA (March 27–30)

2015: CHICAGO, IL (March 26–29)

2016: SEATTLE, WA (March 31–April 3)

2017: TORONTO, Canada (March 16–19)

I'll have to fly across the country too, but at least I can stay with my parents for the conference this year. :)

Oh well, it couldn't be helped anyway. I'm probably going to make it this year, too. It would be a shame to miss the opportunity to visit :)

Edited by norangom

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up accepting the offer for Columbia's PhD in EALC! In the end, it was overall the best fit for me in terms of faculty as well as location and funding. Really excited and can't wait for the fall!!

I ended up accepting the offer for Columbia's PhD in EALC! In the end, it was overall the best fit for me in terms of faculty as well as location and funding. Really excited and can't wait for the fall!!

Fun! I loved talking to the professors in the program. It seemed like a good environment. So you should have lots of fun there. 

Good luck apartment hunting!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm probably not applying to Asian Studies anytime soon, but just curious about what happened to NYU's East Asian program. The website says "East Asian Studies is not admitting new graduate students for the coming year. It is currently undergoing a reconsideration of its academic program"Does anyone know? Are they still offering graduate courses this year?