Asian Studies 2013

I think those are rejections based on the survey results... :(

I'm fine if it's rej. After all, it's a long shot for me. I'm fine. Well, maybe a little disappointed.

Still wish for the best. And good luck to you!

I'm fine if it's rej. After all, it's a long shot for me. I'm fine. Well, maybe a little disappointed.

Still wish for the best. And good luck to you!

That's just what I think, but I could be wrong! Let's hope I am... for both our sakes. haha

Hi everyone! Just got my acceptance to Columbia University for their East Asian Languages & Cultures MA program. No funding  <_<  but whatever. Anyone else heard back from Columbia?

Hi everyone! Just got my acceptance to Columbia University for their East Asian Languages & Cultures MA program. No funding  <_<  but whatever. Anyone else heard back from Columbia?
I applied too, but have not heard anything from Columbia yet, anyway I am not attending even they admitted me coz I heard the Columbia one is pretty unselective Congrats anyway :) Did you apply Harvard too ?

I applied too, but have not heard anything from Columbia yet, anyway I am not attending even they admitted me coz I heard the Columbia one is pretty unselective Congrats anyway :) Did you apply Harvard too ?

No news from Columbia as well. If I got in, I do have a POI who did work there and it sounded like she'd help me out in figuring out finances if accepted. But I hold little hope, since a different POI sent in his LOR literally 3 weeks late... /: 

So I sent an email to my POI at UCLA a week ago, and I've had no response. I know this week is exam week for the students there. At what point in time should I just send an email to the program instead of my POI about questions?

I feel so impatient, but pre-exam  and exam week are generally busy for professors, so I assumed that's the reason he hasn't responded yet. I guess I should just wait some more.  

Thanks! No, I mostly applied on the west coast, so my top choices are between Columbia, UCLA, U of W, and UCI. Best of luck to you :)

I wanted to drop in real quick to say that I was the poster in the results section who was accepted into Harvard's RSEA program. I am actually at a conference and am not home, so I was incredibly grateful to have received a personal email from my POI. I am in Korea Studies. I did not receive a funding offer, but I am waiting on more news. I called home and my roommate told me that my official acceptance packet came in the mail a few days ago. I haven't checked the website yet. I imagine that means that all decisions have been made, but I wouldn't fret too much if you haven't received an offer -- you may be wait listed. I don't think it's typical to have a personal email, though. I was actually wondering if anyone knows of the placement rate for RSEA alumns or where they go. I was unable to find any information... But will certainly be inquiring when I have time.
hey man Would you kindly check up your appyyourself website to see if there was a decision letter there ?

My plan for PhD is either Medical Anthropology or International Relations. I ideally would like to continue doing interdisciplinary work and research related to the Korean Diaspora, North Korean issues (very broad, I know), violence, trauma, resilience, memory, war, conflict, etc. I think you get the idea. As a RSEA student I intend to find a theoretical and methodological focus while continuing to advance my language skills. Since Harvard has arguably the best political science and anthropology programs I think it would be highly advantageous to pursue my master's degree there. I'm waiting to hear whether I have receive the NSF GRFP, as well as a funding offer from UW, but I think my choice is quite clear -- even if it means taking out a loan. As an undergrad I've incurred very little debt, as I have won many grants, scholarships, and fellowships, so I am eligible for very good loans if need be. I'm curious -- how would you all rank Harvard's RSEA program compared to UW's JSIS program? In the social sciences Harvard is far superior, but I have no rankings for these MA programs available.

My plan for PhD is either Medical Anthropology or International Relations. I ideally would like to continue doing interdisciplinary work and research related to the Korean Diaspora, North Korean issues (very broad, I know), violence, trauma, resilience, memory, war, conflict, etc. I think you get the idea. As a RSEA student I intend to find a theoretical and methodological focus while continuing to advance my language skills. Since Harvard has arguably the best political science and anthropology programs I think it would be highly advantageous to pursue my master's degree there. I'm waiting to hear whether I have receive the NSF GRFP, as well as a funding offer from UW, but I think my choice is quite clear -- even if it means taking out a loan. As an undergrad I've incurred very little debt, as I have won many grants, scholarships, and fellowships, so I am eligible for very good loans if need be. I'm curious -- how would you all rank Harvard's RSEA program compared to UW's JSIS program? In the social sciences Harvard is far superior, but I have no rankings for these MA programs available.
well,actually my interest is in Korea too,would you like to exchange email with me that we can do some further discussion coz I am intended to apply next year^^

So I just got into Columbia's EALC PhD program pretty late in the cycle and heavily considering it (only PhD program I've gotten into). Does anyone know how well it does in modern Chinese literature/culture compared to other schools? The alternative would be to do the MA at Stanford with the FLAS and reapply to PhD programs after that.

Some of the best scholars in modern Chinese literature and culture that I've met graduated from Columbia's EALC Ph.D program. 

Definitely go for it.

So I just got into Columbia's EALC PhD program pretty late in the cycle and heavily considering it (only PhD program I've gotten into). Does anyone know how well it does in modern Chinese literature/culture compared to other schools? The alternative would be to do the MA at Stanford with the FLAS and reapply to PhD programs after that.

muesli2, do you mind saying how the department contacted you? i'm still waiting for my online status to change from "submitted" to anything else.

Thanks for the input! Though it'd be nice to get additional language and research preparation with the Stanford MA to hit the ground running in a PhD program later on, perhaps it's crazy to let go of Columbia now since its such a great program and right there in front of me.

anoveldave, I was informed by an email on the 21st that led me to the application website, where it showed a status update link leading to the acceptance letter once I got to the page with the references, uploads, etc. Shortly thereafter my POI sent me an email about the good news. Apparently some extra funds were freed up recently, allowing them to take me on, which is why it took so long. Maybe it's the same case for you, so good luck!

Thanks for the input! Though it'd be nice to get additional language and research preparation with the Stanford MA to hit the ground running in a PhD program later on, perhaps it's crazy to let go of Columbia now since its such a great program and right there in front of me.

anoveldave, I was informed by an email on the 21st that led me to the application website, where it showed a status update link leading to the acceptance letter once I got to the page with the references, uploads, etc. Shortly thereafter my POI sent me an email about the good news. Apparently some extra funds were freed up recently, allowing them to take me on, which is why it took so long. Maybe it's the same case for you, so good luck!

Thanks for the info. I guess time will tell... whether they've found a spot for me, or just waited this long to mess with my mind.

To put in my two cents, I actually completed master's studies last year and don't think it necessary if you have the PhD there for you. In my case, I wanted the language in order to work with comparative literature (I only applied to the EALC dept at Columbia, Comp. Lit. for the rest). If you might continue working with the region and not in, say, International Politics, Anthropology, or any other department that could subsume the language/region studies, I think it might make sense to just go big or go home in the sense of PhD vs. MA.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been pretty inactive here as of late, but I figured I'd pop in. UCLA offered me a bit of funding, so now I'm trying to work out how much debt is the max for a two year master's program. Decisions like this are really hard to make. I never expected to be in such turmoil. 

But since April 15th is flying fast towards us, is anyone else struggling to decide things or has everyone made up their minds?

Officially accepted USC's offer, so looks like I'm heading to LA as well. :) Maybe I'll see you around aec09g, since a lot of USC students take courses at UCLA too.

We've been pretty inactive here as of late, but I figured I'd pop in. UCLA offered me a bit of funding, so now I'm trying to work out how much debt is the max for a two year master's program. Decisions like this are really hard to make. I never expected to be in such turmoil.    But since April 15th is flying fast towards us, is anyone else struggling to decide things or has everyone made up their minds?
Same boat. I've narrowed my options down to two, but this is so difficult. The debt is scary.. :/

Officially accepted USC's offer, so looks like I'm heading to LA as well. :) Maybe I'll see you around aec09g, since a lot of USC students take courses at UCLA too.

We may!

I talked to the offices today about the program and found out with my background the two year program can easily be one year. And they offered me more money. Not full still since I'm out of state, but it's a good money offer. 

Now I'm almost full steam ahead. I want to run a few things by my adviser, who has been such a huge aid for me this year.

But I'd be excited to see you in LA. You nervous about moving there and finding a place? I'm actually considering on campus. The difference is bare-able enough that it might be worth it, though I thought I'd never do a dorm again. /:  

We may!

I talked to the offices today about the program and found out with my background the two year program can easily be one year. And they offered me more money. Not full still since I'm out of state, but it's a good money offer. 

Now I'm almost full steam ahead. I want to run a few things by my adviser, who has been such a huge aid for me this year.

But I'd be excited to see you in LA. You nervous about moving there and finding a place? I'm actually considering on campus. The difference is bare-able enough that it might be worth it, though I thought I'd never do a dorm again. /:  

Awesome! Any money is good money for an MA. :) Congrats!

Haha, not too nervous.  The last two moves I did were to unseen cities in different countries (Yokohama and Edmonton), but at least LA is back in the US and I've visited.  Does UCLA offer on-campus apartments for grad students? I'm in a campus apartment now for my MA and it's great.  I'll be looking off-campus though since I'll be in LA for at least three years before I head off for dissertation work.  Plus I'm planning on buying a car, so no real reason for me to be on-campus.