Silly Question...

Hank Scorpio

Hey, GC'ers-

Just a quick question. I know it's kind of silly to be eager about, but I'm wondering about how far in advance people get their grad school email account.

I know it's a little thing, but keep in mind that I'm spending the summer working a horrible office job, banging my head off the desk several times a day, and am therefore seeking even the slightest bit of grad school excitement.

Thanks!

For my program, I got my grad school email account when I accepted the offer (the usual April deadline). And then I started receiving information about activities, classes, etc at some point in mid summer, as well as contacting potential rotation advisor (if you are in life sciences). I know how exciting it feels!

I got mine when my acceptance was no longer conditional, as I had to wait until I got a student number to set up my email account. I've already received a summer newsletter from the grad student society. It's nice to feel part of the community already!

I formally accepted my offer in mid-March and received a letter with my university username/email address in early April.

I will need to ask for the ID card in person, it seems, because I have not received anything about that, yet.

For now I am still using my gmail to converse with my advisor, and my new online student account doesn't let me do anything (can't choose classes or confirm anything), but I suppose it's still nice to have the university username and feel "official".

My school has a separate e-mail server/system than the university at large, but after the admissions deadline passed I was given access to an online computing services orientation and from there got my e-mail and the server client.

After I accepted I was able to set up my email account. I got a pin so set up my university ID and while I was on there I saw a page on their website for newly admitted grad students (a checklist kind of thing) and on that page was how to set up your email.

Maybe check out your university's website and see if there is some kind of newly admitted students page. I think it is normal to be excited:) Plus some things it is better to get a head start on anyways (immunization forms/physicals, financial paperwork, etc).

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of e-mail, there's a couple of things you can get free if you have a .edu address. You can get Google Voice (I think its a program where you get a free phone number through them, which you can use to get free text messaging) and you can also get 6 months of Amazon Prime for free, with a discount off the regular price after the 6 months. I'm definitely excited about Amazon Prime and free shipping. ; )

I got my e-mail address just a couple of days ago, though I tried to get it about a month ago and had technical difficulties. I thought I was being an early bird, since school doesn't start for another month and a half. Now I see that I wasn't.

When I started my MSc, I was able to get my institutional email address around August but we didn't get our departmental email address (i.e. @dept.school.ca), which is more useful, until we arrived in person! I only use my institutional email address for junk mail and university wide broadcasts (i.e. more junk mail).

I haven't gotten an email address for the new school yet and I'm looking forward to getting a .edu address and the benefits it entails (it seems like some useful US services for students will require a .edu address!). Although I have gotten orientation related emails from the new school to my old address though! And I got a new student number, so exciting :)

New student number does sound exciting! :)

Since I'm going to a grad school here in Canada, I will be deprived of a .edu address and the benefits it entails. :( Which kind of sucks, because I've heard some amazing things about Amazon Prime, esp. with having to furnish an apartment when I get to Toronto.

But I did talk to the department since I started this thread, and they informed me I will be getting my Ryerson email address in mid-August. Closer every day!