DUI misdemeanor

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I was just wondering if a DUI misdemeanor conviction would be detrimental to getting into grad school. I've heard you're asked if you've gotten any felonies, which would be a "no" for me. I don't know if they would be able to find out about a DUI. I wouldn't want to not list it and risk being dishonest, but I also wouldn't want to indulge too much information about it without it being required. Does anyone know, or has anyone dealt with something similar?

I think the only part of my application process that asked criminal background questions was after I had already been accepted when I had to fill out paperwork for my research assistantship position. At that point I had already gotten the position too, it was just a matter of filling out the paperwork so I think you should be in the clear for that. It may pose an issue if you have to apply for assistantship positions (as opposed to being offered one) but it also probably depends on the field you are in and the position you are applying for.

One other thing I wanted to add for any of your applications that do ask...answer exactly what is asked. No more, no less. If they asked if you have had any felonies the answer is a short and simple no. They can't hold it against you for not disclosing information to a question that was never asked. Now if it asks if you have had any misdemeanors well then you will need to disclose that information. I would just state it exaclty as it was and hopefully it wont be held against you.

It's a misdemeanor, not a felony. You can certainly inform them of the details, but they aren't really going to care. They are looking for specific crimes and a single DUI probably isn't on the top of their list.

One other thing I wanted to add for any of your applications that do ask...answer exactly what is asked. No more, no less. If they asked if you have had any felonies the answer is a short and simple no. They can't hold it against you for not disclosing information to a question that was never asked. Now if it asks if you have had any misdemeanors well then you will need to disclose that information. I would just state it exaclty as it was and hopefully it wont be held against you.

Agreed. I felt guilty when I was filling out applications and answered that I had never been on disciplinary probation, because I was given a similar sanction for underage drinking as a freshman. When I talked to the dean who gave me the sanction, she said that I could honestly answer "no", so I did. If they only ask about felonies, there's no need to disclose the DUI.