Is anyone else eyeing the new retina display MacBook pro?

wildviolet

I've spilled coffee on my three-year old MacBook twice now... and the motherboard is in danger of dying any day. And my "p" key does not work (I have to copy and paste). And my track pad doesn't work either, so I have to use a USB mouse.

So, I will need a new laptop for the start of grad school in the fall... and originally I was thinking of the Air. But, now that the new retina display MacBook pro is out and seems to be a hybrid of the old pro and the Air, I'm tempted to splurge 2K on the base model.

What do you think? Is it worth it? I won't be playing any intense games... just word processing, reading, some photos, reading, some movies, reading, and web browsing. I'm not all that tech savvy, but I do love Apple products. :wub:

sigh...i'm too poor for the retina model. but boy, is it tempting! i currently have a 13-inch macbook. the small screen size is starting to drive me crazy. but...do i really have money for a 15-inch (non-retina display)? is the 15-inch even worth it for just the added screen size?? any thoughts, anyone? (no anti-mac rants, please! i'm hooked on macs!)

i would jump on the retina display model if i had the money, though!!!

The new retina display MacBook Pro looks sooooo excellent. Right now I have the 13" Pro as well, and it's still working very well...but once it doesn't, I'll definitely spring for another MacBook. Big fan of les Apples products. Or who knows..maybe I'll rob a bank and then be able to afford it that way. For now, I'll put away $5 every two weeks so I'm ready when the time comes.

Oh wow. Are you folks serious? Look at the specs of the thing; unless you're in a design oriented field and need the clarity of the Retina display (if you do, you should be investing in an Apple Cinema Display instead) that laptop is not even close to worth the premium you're paying (which is saying a lot since you're paying a premium buying Apple).

If one is going to get a Mac; I would stick with the current gen which can probably be had for a nice and tidy sum with this "refresh" and the upcoming 2013 refresh (which should tell you something about the bang-for-your-buck that you're getting).

Edited by ANDS!

ANDS!: I agree with you that I don't need most of specs. I just love the size! Sooo thin and sleek...if only. I'll stick to the current gen for cost reasons. I can't justify the price for a lighter laptop.

Edited by psychgurl

Are you folks serious?

If one is going to get a Mac; I would stick with the current gen which can probably be had for a nice and tidy sum with this "refresh" and the upcoming 2013 refresh (which should tell you something about the bang-for-your-buck that you're getting).

Yes! This is exactly the kind of discussion I would like to have. With education pricing, the high-end 15-inch MacBook pro is $1999. The low-end 15-inch MacBook pro with retina display is also $1999.

I currently have the late 2008 metal unibody MacBook. It'll be turning 4 this fall, and with the start of grad school I'm looking at replacement options.

I did take a glance at the Pro, and while I don't agree with his condescending tone re: the quality of Macs or the "premium" price, I do agree with Mr. Compensating With Font Size that it's designed for graphic designers/photographers/etc. If you're just using it to watch movies/browse the web/write papers, you do not need a retina display. If you want Retina that badly, you can buy an Air AND an iPad for less than the Pro.

I'm planning on buying the 13.3" MacBook Air; it will serve my needs great (they're similar to the OP's) and at $1149 + discounted AppleCare of $183, it's within my means.

Hi OregonGal--I was originally considering the Air. Mostly, I was looking for portability. Sounds like I have the same MacBook as you--I bought mine in late 2008, too. Is there anything about the Air in particular that helped you decide? I haven't looked too closely at it; I just knew that it was very lightweight. Thanks!

As sexy as that thing looks, if one NEEDED a Mac, I'd go for an Air priced at 1000 bucks (perhaps less with education discount, and even less through the Apple Outlet). The specs of the new Macbook just aren't impressive; not for 2G. And not when ANOTHER refresh is half a year or so away.

The problem is, for what most of you are going to use it for, after a month you're going to be sitting back thinking "Shit, I could've gotten a tricked out regular MacBook or Air for less. . ." Right now the best deal for the OP would be the Macbook Air. If I were getting a Mac I would go for the Macbook Pro 13inch with SSD (128GB).

I own a Mac, and I feel like Apple often prices its products outrageously or will offer a "refresh" on things that aren't really that big of a difference. IMO the additional "upgrades" they've made in the 15" Pro with the Retina display (primarily the screen, but they've added a separate HDMI port and the HDD is a solid state drive) aren't worth the additional $400.

I will say that I wish I had a larger screen. I would've liked a 15-inch Mac, but I didn't have $1700 to spend on a computer. (IMO it's really ridiculous that they charge $600 more just for a larger screen and a better processor. Pretty much everything else on the two models are the same. I have issues with Apple, obviously, lol.)

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Yeah I'm definitely getting a new laptop when I go to grad school in 15 months. That being said, I have no desire to get the MacBook Pro (which I've had for about 3-4 years now). I have the 15-inch MBP. Fortunately, it acts as my desktop because I rarely bring it out, but when I do, it's way too big and heavy for what I want to do. I plan on moving to an area less spread out (than where I am right now in Miami) where I won't need a car, so I'll be on the move most likely all day, and the smallest MacBook Air is exactly what I'll go for. I have no problem with an 11-inch screen. I want something that makes me forget I've been walking around with a computer on my back all day, and at 2-pounds, I think the 11" MBA is what I need. I was contemplating an iPad instead, but I think a MBA and a smartphone will cover all my digital needs.

Hi OregonGal--I was originally considering the Air. Mostly, I was looking for portability. Sounds like I have the same MacBook as you--I bought mine in late 2008, too. Is there anything about the Air in particular that helped you decide? I haven't looked too closely at it; I just knew that it was very lightweight. Thanks!

Hi! So, some basic info... I bought my MacBook because I was tired of buying Dells/Acers that quit on me as soon as the warranty expired, and I had several friends with Macs that worked just fine a few years down the road. I bought the MacBook primarily for its longevity/durability, and also because the main issue I had with PC laptops is a hardware design that isn't the same in Macs (how the power jack plugs into the computer, and if yanked on a PC can disconnect the power supply from the motherboard). I've worked my MacBook hard, and it's still going strong after 3+ years. The computer services office at my grad school is 'strongly recommending' (they would require it if they could) that we purchase a new laptop, which is the last push I need to update my laptop. Selling my MacBook back to Apple will also net me $300 in in-store credit (www.apple.com/recycle) which will help a lot with the purchase price of an Air.

My brother-in-law has the Air; he bought it when it first came out for commuting, and actually got rid of his MacBook Pro soon thereafter because the Air was a close enough match to it. The Air is ultralight and ultrathin; the 13.3" version (same as our 2008 metal MacBook) weighs in at about 3 pounds and max width is about a half inch. It runs off a solid state drive, which is the same kind of storage that smartphones use and allows the same responsiveness--it takes about as long to open Safari on an Air as it does on an iPhone (nearly instantaneously). The 13.3" has 128GB of space on the SSD, which I'll supplement with an external hard drive. I am planning on buying the Air because it is half the weight of the laptop I have now, way faster at opening up programs/documents, just as durable and has more power under the hood.

A lot of these specs are similar to other ultrabooks (the MacBook Air technically isn't one because Apple wants to feel special and refuses to label it as such). The pricing is pretty similar too. The main difference is that in terms of screens, trackpads and back-lit keyboards, PC companies are about one version behind on perfecting them compared to Apple. PC laptops also generally come loaded with a ton of bloatware (unnecessary programs) and Apple laptops do not--not a major consideration, but in terms of hassle and start up time it can aggravate in the long term.

A lot of these specs are also similar to the new MacBook Pro. The new Pro is a hybrid of the old Pro, an iPad and the Air; same Air SSD tech but more capacity, an iPad screen only 1.5x the size, and a Pro-level processor/RAM combo. The new Pro also has a CD/DVD reader. It's also way more expensive. As souped up as the new Pro is, it's designed and marketed towards professionals who need a lot of processing power and a high-def screen: photographers, game developers, people who work in visual media and design. It is not designed for a grad student who will be surfing the web and writing papers--that's like a commuter driving a racecar.

The main difference is that in terms of screens, trackpads and back-lit keyboards, PC companies are about one version behind on perfecting them compared to Apple.

That perhaps used to be true. PC companies are now aware that aesthetic counts; some of the trackpads on current ultrabooks (the U310 from Lenovo for example) absolutely rival what Apple offers, at a reduced price.

I would disagree. I've actually looked at a lot of reviews for PC ultrabooks, and when I look at the reviews for screen/trackpad/backlighting there is not a single laptop that has all three perfected. Either the keyboard is too raised to accommodate the back light, or the trackpad is too finicky due to software/hardware issues, or the clickpad is too clunky, or the screen isn't a glass screen and doesn't adjust well to different angles. Or a combo of all those issues. I'm not talking solely about aesthetics, I'm talking about real functionality of the components and as a whole.

Also, since you mentioned the Lenovo U310 specifically-- those weigh in at almost a pound more than a MacBook Air and don't have a solid state drive, just a 32GB SSD to cache programs/documents for easy re-opening within a short timeframe. Basic is also only 2GB of ram, not 4. It's cheaper, but in terms of specs it is no match for the MBA.

The U300s is the direct competition to the MacBook Air and - based on reviews and user satisfaction - does more than a fair job of it. Both are priced similarly.

The U310 is somewhere between the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro; it will never have a large SSD drive or 8GIG's of memory (basic comes in at 4gigs btw), because that's not what it was designed for. It's not meant to be a desktop replacement, so realistically drives over 100gig's are kind of pointless. The GREAT majority of people will not need the difference between SSD and HDD.

If someone is looking for a portable research/work station, Lenovo (and others, though I'm not familiar with their products firsthand) are making laptops that have an impressive bang-per-buck ratio and are finally catering to the "style" requirements of the market.

Of course, if it were me - as it will be in a few months - I'd just tell the OP to hold out for the Thinkpad X1 Carbon.

It is not designed for a grad student who will be surfing the web and writing papers--that's like a commuter driving a racecar.

Wow, thanks! Good analogy. I know I don't NEED the retina display, but it sure looks nice! One of the reasons I love Apple products is that I don't have to know much technical information to use and enjoy it. Love the user interface of Macs compared to Windows, which I have to use at work. Your reply was awesome, and it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

I am by no means a Mac-hater. I love my MacBook Pro and I've been very very happy with it. That being said...

The new Retina Display Macbook Pro is a TERRIBLE investment for grad students. this thing is nearly impossible to repair. even if you want to do something simple like just replace your battery (I've owned a MacBook pro for about 5 years and I've had to replace my battery twice), you can't do it yourself because it's freaking glued to the case. This means that every time you need to do a simple battery repair, you have to mail your laptop to Apple every so often for a $200 replacement (to replace the battery myself it cost me $50 for the battery on my current MacBook and all I had to do was take the old one out by hand and snap a new one in).

Also, the Retina MacBook has a fixed storage capacity. As a grad student about to start a 5 year program, I would be very uncomfortable investing in a laptop that doesn't have expandable storage options.

Pretty much all you need to read to convince you that this is a terrible buy for a grad student can be found here:

http://ifixit.org/27...able-untenable/

http://www.ifixit.co.../1#.T9uAXCtYv2U

This computer is a ticking time bomb of problems that will cost you more than most grad school stipends will comfortably cover in the long run. Personally, my grad stipend can't afford the extra $200 expense every time I need to do a simple battery repair. This is a terrible investment for grad students who should be thinking about buying a laptop that will last instead of a laptop that will make YouTube videos look prettier.

Edited by margarethale

I had my eye on it until I found out that the RAM is soldered in (not user upgradeable). The form factor and screen look great, but as far as the lifespan is concerned, my eye is on the "old" MPB; add an SSD for speed, put a second HD in the optical bay for storage and upgrade the RAM without paying the Apple premium. Considering the build quality of my last Apple laptop (which lasted for 6 years), I have no problem paying a premium for solid design.

Though not Apple, this is an interesting article (imo). Vizio is looking appealing in terms of price, quality and attention to detail:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/15/3076519/vizio-reboot-pc-american-hdtv-success-do-it-again

All right, that article does have me intrigued by Vizio--I am always willing to support a company that doesn't load their machines with stickers and bloatware. However, it sounds like their machines might not be in brick-and-mortars by August and that's when I'll be looking to buy my machine for grad school, and I definitely would need to test out the keyboard and trackpad before committing. Finally, unless the trade-in value of my MacBook plummets between now and August the discount I'd get from that on a new Apple product would more than erase the price difference.

Update--I'm buying a refurbished MacBook Air for $625 from my brother's friend, who works at Apple in the refurbishing warehouse. Should be plenty for my grad school needs. Thanks to all who commented (and helped me resist the urge to splurge on the newest and coolest). :)

Update--I'm buying a refurbished MacBook Air for $625 from my brother's friend, who works at Apple in the refurbishing warehouse. Should be plenty for my grad school needs.

I am late to the conversation here, but think you have chosen wisely. I would have recommended the Air for what you want to accomplish. I have a MacBook Pro (from 2010) which I love, but I do illustrating and a couple other things besides that make me want the slightly larger display and the extra power. It is a pain to haul around all day, doesn't fit well into my satchel (I need a backpack on days I use it) and I sometimes eye my labmate's Air rather enviously...

When I read the subject heading of this thread and saw the first few posts of people wowwed by the new model + retina display, all I could think of was this:

2001apes.gif

More than a good deal. Is it the previously released model though - there have been one or two refreshes.

It's from 2010, but it'll still be more recent than my current 2009 MacBook. Also, the specs look more than adequate for my needs.

I am late to the conversation here, but think you have chosen wisely. I would have recommended the Air for what you want to accomplish. I have a MacBook Pro (from 2010) which I love, but I do illustrating and a couple other things besides that make me want the slightly larger display and the extra power. It is a pain to haul around all day, doesn't fit well into my satchel (I need a backpack on days I use it) and I sometimes eye my labmate's Air rather enviously...

When I read the subject heading of this thread and saw the first few posts of people wowwed by the new model + retina display, all I could think of was this:

2001apes.gif

LOL. Thanks--so true!