School Lists 2013 (Where are you applying?)

Oh, bluecheese, how I share your application philosophy! I also applied to MFA programs a few years back and my decisions this time around where shaped by that. They are also shaped by my interest in rudimentary statistics, crapshoots, and gambles. I think things like: "What would happen if I applied to every PhD program in the country?" and "What if all the schools I took off my list would have accepted me and I only kept the schools that will reject me?" This has lead me to the world of 17 applications, and I just might do another 1 or 2 last minute... I have a variety of interests and there are good faculty members all over the place, so I have certainly not compromised fit in any of my applications.

Edited by asleepawake

...shaped by my interest in rudimentary statistics, crapshoots, and gambles. 

Seriously, I think applying widely is important (although I don't suppose everyone will agree with us). I think everyone should apply as widely as their interests and pocketbooks allow.

You don't know who is going to be on the admissions committee (grad programs often suffer from nasty departmental politics that might result in a person who is a perfect fit on one level not getting in on a particular year, also you might get faculty who are interested in the prestige [or lack thereof] of your undergrad institution, faculty who are interested in diversity and those that aren't, etc. reading applications ...there might also be graduate students weeding out the low hanging fruit... which can be equally arbitrary). 

I am applying to only MA programs. I do not intend to go on for a PhD. I have 14 schools on my list, which I think is a good amount most people I discuss graduate school with think it is excessive. I am applying to

1. Villanova

2. Maine

3. Wyoming

4. UConn

5. U of Maryland

6. Kent State

7. Louisville

8. U of Rochester

9. Syracuse

10. Loyola

11. San Francisco State

12 Kansas

13. St. Louis U.

I tried to do a range of schools that went with my interests. This is my first time applying so we'll see how this goes, I do know that some of these will be completely unfunded but its an M.A. and that is pretty common.

I know some of these schools do not offer funding for the MA. but I expected that.

Prepare to be sucked in.

If you don't mind my asking (I'm just curious), what are your reasons for pursuing the MA? 

I don't mind. Its partly about career goals and a desire to not be in academia forever. However, as you said I could get sucked in.

I really plan to teach at the high school level. I already have my teaching degree and want to increase my English lit. knowledge.

Edited by BrookeSnow

I don't mind. Its partly about career goals and a desire to not be in academia forever. However, as you said I could get sucked in.

I really plan to teach at the high school level. I already have my teaching degree and want to increase my English lit. knowledge.

That's totally a respectable goal.  I'd still advise against paying for an M.A. in English literature though.  If they fund you, it's a sign that they really want you.

Yeah, hopefully with all those applications you can get a funded offer. Definitely the best option!

If you do get funded, you will be extra-likely to end up getting sucked in, because you'll experience teaching college students, and all the freedom and lack of test-prep that comes with it, and might end up wanting to stick with it. :) Just a warning! I still have high school English teacher as a backup, but gosh, the curriculum requirements, sheer number of classes, and the pandering to standardized testing is terrifying. 

Edited by asleepawake

On 1/10/2013 at 7:55 PM, BrookeSnow said:

A 1-year MA could be a good option for you. It is doable (but tough) at Rochester.

11. San Francisco State

This is where I got my MA in Lit. If you end up going there, let me know! I loved it. You can also earn a certificate in composition while getting your MA in Literature, which helps in getting teaching jobs at the high school or community college level. Great faculty, great cohort, great grad student association. (I promise I'm not on their payroll!)

This is where I got my MA in Lit. If you end up going there, let me know! I loved it. You can also earn a certificate in composition while getting your MA in Literature, which helps in getting teaching jobs at the high school or community college level. Great faculty, great cohort, great grad student association. (I promise I'm not on their payroll!)

Thanks! If I end up going there I will defiantly contact you. 

I actually went back to school to become a high school english teacher (after receiving a degree in History). In the state I was attending the requirements for teaching were so extensive beyond the english courses themselves (there are a lot more teaching jobs in writing and english) to the tune of another two years of education courses (which tend to be unbearably boring) that I decided to get an MFA instead. In retrospect, an MFA doesn't exactly put one any closer to acquiring a job... that said, should I get a job in my field (either literature or creative writing) I'll be much happier.

And I wouldn't mind living in Cali.

quick/friendly word to the wise: if/when you move to california, you may not want to refer to it as cali.* it's like calling san francisco "frisco."  

*unless you happen to be singing along to biggie smalls. then it's ok.

So glad there's another high school teacher wannabe on here! I was starting to think I was the only one...

Wannabe high school teachers unite! There are absolutely 0 jobs (even negative, actually, as they're doing more firing than hiring) available in my province for secondary teachers. It's bad times for teachers in Ontario.

Wannabe high school teachers unite! There are absolutely 0 jobs (even negative, actually, as they're doing more firing than hiring) available in my province for secondary teachers. It's bad times for teachers in Ontario.

Nice to meet another high school teacher wannabe! I'm sorry about the job situation though. 

Nice to meet another high school teacher wannabe! I'm sorry about the job situation though. @Brooke:  LOTS of SFState grads at the CC where I work.  Keep in touch if you head west.

Hi Everyone!  I think lurking is creepy, but I keep looking at the application status page and the "bet on where you'll get in" thread, so I guess I should introduce myself.

I'm the crazed PhD applicant standing in the road and waving my pea shooter at the armored tanks (ie, only one application in).  I have geographic limitations, and there's only one school in driving distance:

SUNY Buffalo

I am a ecocriticism/theory blend sort of person, I went there for my MA, my fingers are crossed, and I'm hunkered in for the wait (or staring at my screen unblinkingly for hours at a time, you pick).

*freaks out*

Hi Everyone!  I think lurking is creepy, but I keep looking at the application status page and the "bet on where you'll get in" thread, so I guess I should introduce myself.

Hm.  And now I look silly, because this intro wasn't showing up in my browser, so I reposted a similar intro under the English 2013 forum.

I promise I'm not a spambot, though at this point, we may be on par in terms of intellectual capacity  :wacko: