George Washington Strengths/Weaknesses

linden

Okay, I will get this one started because I am very interested in this program. I would love to read your opinions and comments about GWU's Trachtenberg.

Strengths:

* Respected university and MPP program, at least in the DC area

* DC location

Weaknesses

* Perhaps not regarded as highly as neighboring GPPI

* Expensive (But aren't they all?)

Unknowns

* Strong quantitative training?

* Quantity/quality of electives?

* Career services?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a comment from a current MPP student in one of the threads from the admitted students google group that suggests the program does not stress the quantitative or theoretical aspect, particularly compared to programs like Berkeley, Chicago and Georgetown. This confirms what others have written on this board before. GWU's program seems to have a more qualitative bent and GPPI's a more quantitative bent (if we're comparing the DC programs). That could certainly be either a pro or a con depending on your career goals.

Pro:

They have a lot of good electives, especially if you want to do health, gender issues, international affairs, budgeting, or urban issues.

Career center very on top of things. Excellent alumni network and internship placements.

Very flexible schedule. Going part time not an issue at all.

If you want to do quant you can, they offer all the classes. The requirements for quant might be more intensive at Gtown though.

A lot of well known faculty members.

Con:

yes, expensive.

must look at idiotic undergrads wearing Uggs when you walk around on campus (but the undergrads suck at all the DC schools)

Con:

yes, expensive.

must look at idiotic undergrads wearing Uggs when you walk around on campus (but the undergrads suck at all the DC schools)

Oh, Uggs are not limited to GW. Uggs, sweatpants, and Northface fleeces seemed to be the dress code of at least 15% of the girls at Cornell.

I think this every night when I get the mail, and there's STILL no official GW letter.

I finally received my official GW letter yesterday (email admit was on February 5), so it's coming. It may be a good sign? I was named an alternate for a fellowship. Maybe if you're still waiting it's a good thing?...

As a current GW student I can offer a few more pro's:

-GREAT and very organized career services. The director is comfortable advising both domestic and international students, and is familiar with both public and private sectors along with suitable MPP/MPA placements in each. From my experience that's very rare for an MPP/MPA program! He's also great for resume and cover letter reviews, and helps you tailor each one to individual agencies and organizations.

-On top of that, there are CONSTANT site visits to federal agencies. GAO, OMB, CBO, BEA, etc... you get to go there, network over lunch with the HR people and alumni, and they give you a presentation. It definitely helps to get your name out there, and you actually get to see the agency. I think we've also had site visits to a nonprofit or two and consulting firms as well. Professors spend time advising these agencies so they also have a world of connections within them (one professor, Dr. Newcomer is constantly giving presentations to GAO, world bank, united way, etc on program evaluations)

-VERY applied work. This actually does come quite handy if you want a job/internship... In program evaluation students do a REAL program evaluation for clients. It's not some extra "consulting" class you have to beg to get enrolled in (like at Georgetown or other programs), its just a class with this as a component of it. You work on a team of two for a local non-profit or government agency. The work you produce is real, solid, very in depth, and gives you an incredible experience (trust me--It's a major selling point for jobs and internships!). Statistics courses also include very applied work (along with the theoretical of course), as well as economics, public budgeting, etc.

-Location: DC right now is key as the market contracts. Paid internships are becoming less common around the country. Being in DC, especially during the school year allows you to find not only a great internship, but a paid one year round. Often organizations will just keep their spring intern on for the summer, which really helps you out when you need a summer internship (federal agencies do this quite often...). I have yet to hear from a fellow student who wanted a good, paid internship and couldn't find one.

-Alumni network: since most stay in town you have a HUGE and very very very friendly one!

-Cost: GW is actually about $5,000 cheaper per semester than Georgetown (not sure the other comparisons, sorry!). And also GW will let you move between full time and part time status very easily if your internship turns into a full time job (or if you decide to stop working full time and take more courses).

Cons:

-If you stay in DC the name brand value of Georgetown, UMaryland, GW and American are all the same. GTown students do not get better jobs or internships than anyone else in my experience (I have a number of friends there). Salary figures all look the exact same too...

BUT if you plan on moving away from DC this could be an issue. GW is well known nation wide, but Gtwon does have a more internationally recognized name.

- I have heard that the lower level of theoretical work is bad for PHD hopefuls... but I have a friend who went from GWU to a top 3 social science PHD, and I know a number of others who have also moved on to PHD's... So although I can't guarantee it is not an issue, I'm pretty sure it's not. Ask the google group to be sure, Paul or Catherine should know for sure if you are really concerned about this.

-Not as quant heavy as ford school or Harris. If you want a highly quant job (like statistician or economist) this is likely not the place for you. You have plenty of econ and stats, but less of a hardcore calculus focus (granted though--in 99% of policy jobs you wont need it, but perhaps its a good selling point? Can't say as I've never tried it, the Harris student might know better)

Everyone should calm down about their letters too--I got mine 3 weeks after my official decision. I also know it is possible to get funding from alternate standing as at least a few people I know have said they got it. You just have to wait until after April 15th to know for sure.

Feel free to PM me with any questions! I'll be honest, I promise.

I finally received my official GW letter yesterday (email admit was on February 5), so it's coming. It may be a good sign? I was named an alternate for a fellowship. Maybe if you're still waiting it's a good thing?...

When you are referring to the email admit...do you mean the email where they said "Trachtenberg school recommends you for admission...now it is forwarded to the Dean." ? Or was this an email admit by Columbian College?

It seems like everyone on the gradcafe forum was admitted at GW...i have yet to see someone say they were rejected...does GW let everyone in?

where are you looking, they're are definitely people who got rejected.

Does anyone know what the average funding from GW is for PhD students?

I hate the be the bearer of bad news, but someone asked a question about how many applicants/acceptances GWU was taking for its program in the GWU Admitted MPP GoogleGroup. The Admissions representative refused to give an exact number, but did say that they were most of the way through admitting people. This was on February 9, so I'm not sure how many more admission emails have yet to go out.

On the positive side, they didn't exactly say they were done admitting people, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Have you checked the application status within ApplyYourself? That usually gets updated within a few days of being admitted.

Eh...Several people on this board seem to have been posting acceptances pretty consistently throughought February, which would seemingly refute that claim. I personally won't be living or dying based on this decision, I would just prefer that they let me know soon one way or another. Seems kind of odd to me that the Ad-coms don't just let everyone know at relatively the same time, if you're going to do it that way wouldn't it be better to just commit to doing rolling admissions?

I actually didn't apply to their MPP program, I applied to the MA program which is housed in the Philosophy Department, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Although I saw at least one girl who was admitted in the MA program already.

I haven't heard either. I saw a bunch of acceptances a few weeks ago, so I don't know what to think. :|

I havent heard anything yet either. I emailed yesterday and now I'm waiting to hear back. I applied to the PhD program though. I had expected to hear on friday but didnt. some people did, both acceptances and rejections so i m thinking waitlist for me.

GW does what ends up looking like rolling review of admissions (Gtown does the same I think) where the committee meets almost weekly and goes through a group to decide admissions. So due at the same date, but reviewed in groups. So don't worry, I spoke to Catherine yesterday about an unrelated matter and I know for a fact from her stressed out look and comments about the application piled that they are still working on them!

In fact their last deadline for admissions isn't even until April 1st! (Jan 15th was only to be considered for scholarships) so really, calm down :).

They are reporting an almost 40% increase in applications though, so keep that in mind during your wait. They have MUCH more to go through...

FYI from what I learned about admissions from my process last year was most schools (including Gtown, Uchicago, Ford school) accept roughly 50% of applicants. Not sure GWU is as they wont even tell current students, but I am guessing it is around the same level. Most schools brag they only have an entering class of 100 out of 600 applicants, but that's because 200 people decided to go elsewhere...

I applied to GW's Security Policy Program and got an email today from the admissions office saying that the Program Director had requested an additional recommendation from an academic as I had used all professional references. Is anyone getting requests like this? I was lucky to find a professor who was nice enough to agree to get one in by Friday and at least claimed to remember me (I can't imagine that this was true but who knows, I took his course in 2005). I'm also suprised that GW i giving me such a hard time seeing that Fletcher admitted me early on.