Social Psychology Fall 2013 Applicants

DarwinAG

I hadn't seen this thread until now! I am only applying to one social psych program (at UCSD to work with Chris Bryan, social-cognitive focus) but it seems I am applying to a lot of the same programs as everyone in here.

I am mostly applying to cognitive and developmental programs. Frank/Goodman at Stanford, Lombrozo and Gopnik at Berkeley, Bryan and McKenzie at UCSD Psych, Boroditsky, Bergen, Deak at UCSD CogSci.

Anyone who wants to chat and connect about applications, the horrendous wait now that they're in, etc., feel free to PM. I'd love to chat with potential colleagues.

I am also applying to quite a few of the same programs listed by everyone here. Anyone know when might be the earliest we'll hear back from schools with Dec 1st or Nov deadlines? Most websites say January, but I've heard some students have received news by mid-Dec.

Tolman's Rat! I'd love to chat and connect about applications. I think talking about this stuff really helps with the process. It's such a nice way to meet future colleagues as well.

I am also applying to quite a few of the same programs listed by everyone here. Anyone know when might be the earliest we'll hear back from schools with Dec 1st or Nov deadlines? Most websites say January, but I've heard some students have received news by mid-Dec.

I think mid/end dec is POSSIBLE (maybe an ambitious faculty member contacting people)...but January will def be the norm for February interviews and what not, based on what I know. I feel like my relaxing winter break will not actually end up being relaxing :^P

I think mid/end dec is POSSIBLE (maybe an ambitious faculty member contacting people)...but January will def be the norm for February interviews and what not, based on what I know. I feel like my relaxing winter break will not actually end up being relaxing :^P

The wait really is the worst! I've also heard that some schools' interviews are competitive while other schools only want to make sure you're not a lunatic. I guess no one really knows these things for sure, but I can't help but wonder. What is "relaxing"? :P

I haven't talked to any department that has told me December. Stanford says mid to late January, same with UCSD, Berkeley hasn't really given me a time period, saying that it can vary quite a bit.

My mentor (social/quant psychologist) said that I should expect to start hearing back from programs in about three weeks. The communication won't be for offers, but for pre-interviews/gauging research fit. He said that if I don't hear anything by mid-to-late January, I should consider solidifying my plan B.

My mentor (social/quant psychologist) said that I should expect to start hearing back from programs in about three weeks. The communication won't be for offers, but for pre-interviews/gauging research fit. He said that if I don't hear anything by mid-to-late January, I should consider solidifying my plan B.

So, I've finished all of my applications now except for one with a January deadline, and throughout this whole thing I've felt pretty comfortable, all things considered. But this statement makes me feel ready to hyperventilate RIGHT NOW, for some random reason! I don't know if mid/late January feels too soon or too far away, but it sure feels STRESSFUL! :P

That seems a little bit extreme to me. I'm not sure if it's different for quant programs, but I didn't hear about interviews until mid-February last time around.

For what it's worth, 4/6 of the students who are applying to PhD programs from my MA program have heard about interviews already--3 of us have official invites, one is unofficial, but zer POI said ze'd be getting the official invitation to interview weekend in January when the department sends them out. 2 of the 4 are for clinical programs, but I believe the interviews are department-wide. It's early but not unheard of that you can start hearing already, especially for schools that have interviews in January. UCLA, for example, has theirs the weekend before SPSP. I'm pretty sure they need to get that all sorted out before break. However, I also heard about interviews in mid-to-late February when I applied before, so there's quite a range, and half of the schools that I'm applying to aren't even at the deadline yet.

Also, the two students that probably have the strongest apps are the two that haven't heard anything yet, fwiw.

That's wonderful moralreseracher. Do you mind sharing what Master program you're in and what school you received invitations from?

Notre Dame have started sending out invitations for their Interview days in February.

For what it's worth, 4/6 of the students who are applying to PhD programs from my MA program have heard about interviews already--3 of us have official invites, one is unofficial, but zer POI said ze'd be getting the official invitation to interview weekend in January when the department sends them out. 2 of the 4 are for clinical programs, but I believe the interviews are department-wide. It's early but not unheard of that you can start hearing already, especially for schools that have interviews in January. UCLA, for example, has theirs the weekend before SPSP. I'm pretty sure they need to get that all sorted out before break. However, I also heard about interviews in mid-to-late February when I applied before, so there's quite a range, and half of the schools that I'm applying to aren't even at the deadline yet.

Also, the two students that probably have the strongest apps are the two that haven't heard anything yet, fwiw.

The earliest interview invite I got was January 9th. The latest was February 1st (and the feb one is where I'm attending now). I think it really depends on the program. I know my advisor doesn't start seriously looking through apps til January, for interview invites early February.

I found that looking through the results board for rough estimates of when particular schools contacted students in past years was helpful. Good luck all ! And...if possible...enjoy the holidays and stop worrying :)

Edited by psychgurl

Notre Dame have started sending out invitations for their Interview days in February.

Woah. I could have sworn their application deadline was December 15 - that's what I marked down a couple of months ago in my spreadsheet. But I checked their website again and now it says December 1. <_<

I can still access and edit my online application...think it's worth submitting late? Or should I pass? I have ten other schools, eight or nine of which I would prefer over ND, so I don't consider this a huge loss.

Woah. I could have sworn their application deadline was December 15 - that's what I marked down a couple of months ago in my spreadsheet. But I checked their website again and now it says December 1. <_<

I can still access and edit my online application...think it's worth submitting late? Or should I pass? I have ten other schools, eight or nine of which I would prefer over ND, so I don't consider this a huge loss.

I made the same mistake. As I was doing my Dec 1. applications, I double checked Notre Dame and saw that it was Dec. 1 and not the 15.

If you have made contact with the professor and she seems to be interested in working with you, I would say ask for their advice.

But generally speaking, I do not think you should apply after the due date.

Yeah, I think so. It's pretty early still - even for interview calls, from what every single one of my professors and advisors have told me. /Rationally/ I get it that most if not all of the programs I applied to (save maybe UCSD) aren't likely to even look at apps until after Christmas. But the impulse to check every five minutes is totally there! I typically hate winter breaks because they seem so long and I have nothing to do after work/in the gaps where classes would normally be... but man. This one I hate *extra*.

ooo I'm looking forward to winter break. I have a lot of projects I need to get ahead of, plus tons of articles I want to read before SPSP. It should be fun though because the application process is not the most pleasant experience. I'd rather get back into research.

I had a phone interview with POI 12/10 then invited via phone on 12/12 to the interview weekend (1/10-1/12) at UCLA. So if you applied to UCLA for social and didn't hear about an interview yet, I'm sorry! But official decisions/notifications went out on 12/12 for interviews and they only consider those invited to interview for admissions

I had a phone interview with POI 12/10 then invited via phone on 12/12 to the interview weekend (1/10-1/12) at UCLA. So if you applied to UCLA for social and didn't hear about an interview yet, I'm sorry! But official decisions/notifications went out on 12/12 for interviews and they only consider those invited to interview for admissions

Congratulations! That's very exciting :) Did UCLA have an early deadline or do they just review applications more quickly/earlier?

Congrats! UCLA was on my original list, but I didn't end up applying because I couldn't get a fee waiver there and had to eliminate some schools.

Thank you! I'm very excited. Their deadline was December 1, like many schools, but their interviews are very early (jan. 10-12) and they promised to give applicants at least two weeks notice if they got an interview, so they do their process fairly quickly.

I wish more schools were like that. I know that my ugrad program doesn't look at apps til after the holiday.