MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Anyone have advice as some of us prepare for Hunter's interview day this Sunday? 

Tips from anyone who's gone through the process before?

How long should we expect to be there?

Edited by hdsl

Making the trip to interview with them this weekend. What did they ask??

Hi Jaybird, I am scheduled to have an interview with Pratt MFA next week, is there any advice you could give me? 

I am really nervous and I wanna get into pratt, so I would appreciate any advice you could give me!!! 

Thank you so much and good luck on your interview!!! 

p.s. I accidentally clicked that reputation button when I was trying to figure out how to reply to your post.... sorry :( 

I was accepted to CCA (email 3/11) and Riverside (3/12) My notices are later than most though because no one can reach me by phone.

Also rejected by UCLA via website last night. Even though it's sad it is nice that both times I have gotten rejections they are on the same day as acceptances. Softens the blow. And It is nice to have the support of this forum to know you win some you lose some.

Hi Jaybird, I am scheduled to have an interview with Pratt MFA next week, is there any advice you could give me?

I am really nervous and I wanna get into pratt, so I would appreciate any advice you could give me!!!

Thank you so much and good luck on your interview!!!

p.s. I accidentally clicked that reputation button when I was trying to figure out how to reply to your post.... sorry :(

Is your interview via Skype or in person? It was pretty quick and basic. They wanted to know what my work is about, it's theoretical base, etc. They asked what exhibits I've seen recently that have stuck with me and influenced me. They wanted to know what contemporary artists Im look at and of course they asked why I think graduate school is right for me right now. They had some basic follow up questions to my answers. For example, when they asked what my what my works about and part of my explanation involved telling them how I studied under some pretty diehard abstract expressionists and they wanted to know what particular aspects of AbEx continue to influence me. When I told them that Ive been paying a lot of attention to Eric Sall and Trudy Bensons paintings they wanted to know what Im drawn to in their work. When I replied to their question regarding exhibits by telling them Ive been thinking about a show of Martin Chambi photographs I saw while I was in Peru recently they wanted to know if photography's a part of my practice and what about the show is still influencing me. Overall they were very personable and told me I answered the key questions really well.

I will say Im a bit frustrated because they told me they were going to finish interviews last week and send out decisions early this week, however I've heard nothing from them yet. I'm already leaning towards declining if I do get in anyways, not sure if I can stomach the debt. The program looks as if it would cost about $120,000 (without funding) for two years (including living expenses, etc) and I don't know if that's worth it for an unnranked program when the CUNY schools cost a fraction of that. I talked to them about setting up a time to come visit so I could decide if it would be worth it or not, but the person they told me to email has not gotten back to me either.

Edited by jaybird

Is your interview via Skype or in person? It was pretty quick and basic. They wanted to know what my work is about, it's theoretical base, etc. They asked what exhibits I've seen recently that have stuck with me and influenced me. They wanted to know what contemporary artists Im look at and of course they asked why I think graduate school is right for me right now. They had some basic follow up questions to my answers. For example, when they asked what my what my works about and part of my explanation involved telling them how I studied under some pretty diehard abstract expressionists and they wanted to know what particular aspects of AbEx continue to influence me. When I told them that Ive been paying a lot of attention to Eric Sall and Trudy Bensons paintings they wanted to know what Im drawn to in their work. When I replied to their question regarding exhibits by telling them Ive been thinking about a show of Martin Chambi photographs I saw while I was in Peru recently they wanted to know if photography's a part of my practice and what about the show is still influencing me. Overall they were very personable and told me I answered the key questions really well.

I will say Im a bit frustrated because they told me they were going to finish interviews last week and send out decisions early this week, however I've heard nothing from them yet. I'm already leaning towards declining if I do get in anyways, not sure if I can stomach the debt. The program looks as if it would cost about $120,000 (without funding) for two years (including living expenses, etc) and I don't know if that's worth it for an unnranked program when the CUNY schools cost a fraction of that. I talked to them about setting up a time to come visit so I could decide if it would be worth it or not, but the person they told me to email has not gotten back to me either.

yeah screw that 120k for Columbia maybe but.....I personally know a few people from Pratt (painting) and their dedication and work leaves...something to be hugely desired....they market their name and being in the city

Edited by brown06

THANK YOU Jaybird!!!!!!!!!!!  

Yeah Skype. They sent me an email last week of February to notify me that I was selected for an interview and told me

that the week of March 18th will be the last week they'll be interviewing ppl....:$

The program looks as if it would cost about $120,000 (without funding) for two years (including living expenses, etc) and I don't know if that's worth it for an unnranked program when the CUNY schools cost a fraction of that. I talked to them about setting up a time to come visit so I could decide if it would be worth it or not, but the person they told me to email has not gotten back to me either.

Wow, that's the amount of debt i'd expect to have for undergrad, masters AND phd combined--- not just for an MFA.  I can't see that ever being worth it, unless you have some kind of circumstances that would keep that debt from being a noose and strangling out all of your post-graduation options.  I don't agree with people who say the only way to get an MFA is to have a free ride, since student loan debt IS different than credit card debt--- assuming you have a decent student loan--- but when you get over $40-$50k and you're the one who has to pay it back you're really handicapping yourself.  Those two years are going to be over extremely quick but that debt could last the rest of your life.

anyone hear from pratt communication design yet????

Nope! Not a word!

I read through their confirmation email that says when they make their decision and it says "any time between Mid-to-late March, with most people getting a response by the 1st of April"

Still, so eerily silent on their part.

Have any Pratt communication design people had interviews, or any contact at all from the school?

what's up with schools asking where they rank on my list of choices? before I've even heard about funding.. (hey that actually determines a lot!) I guess just to gauge my interest but I don't know. it just caught me off guard. like what am I supposed to say? tell them all they are my top choice? haha I try to be somewhat honest and just say it's among my choices or "up there" and that I'm trying to gather all information before I make a decision. just curious what their motive is by asking? does my response change anything?

Edited by emeliej

Woah. Rutgers just offered me the full TA position: full tuition scholarship, teaching every semester, and a more-than-livable stipend. Ha, the stipend is more than I make now! I still have my Columbia interview tomorrow. Oh man. What to do, what to do, what to do...

Woah. Rutgers just offered me the full TA position: full tuition scholarship, teaching every semester, and a more-than-livable stipend. Ha, the stipend is more than I make now! I still have my Columbia interview tomorrow. Oh man. What to do, what to do, what to do...

CONGRATS! That's amazing news. Nice to have that in your pocket going into the Columbia interview... Good luck! Making the final decision is going to be so hard...

CONGRATS! That's amazing news. Nice to have that in your pocket going into the Columbia interview... Good luck! Making the final decision is going to be so hard...

Thanks! Yes, it is!!! If Columbia makes an offer of admission, they're going to have to offer more than half tuition to really convince me I think. If I turned down the Rutgers offer for over $40K of debt, I think Jerry Saltz would call me a fool. haha.

Thanks! Yes, it is!!! If Columbia makes an offer of admission, they're going to have to offer more than half tuition to really convince me I think. If I turned down the Rutgers offer for over $40K of debt, I think Jerry Saltz would call me a fool. haha.

YES! This is where I'm at. Avec Saltz in back of mind. Always. Waiting for Tyler to make their offer, and it is going to be hard to turn down two offers of full funding. It's not as though any of us will graduate into a $100K a year job... Damn my pals that are going to law school/med school.

But I loved Tyler. So torn. Have not even visited VCU yet. And I liked Cornell too, it was just different. I need a therapist. The ups and downs of this process have been so crazy... probably vulnerable to heart failure, so much anxiety, ha ha ha.