Back to Alma Mater for Grad School?

SymmetryOfImperfection

Hi. I'm thinking of going back to my alma mater for PHD after my MS is completed. Its not because its easy to get in, but simply because it happens to have alot of professors working in the field that I am interested in. However, I heard that schools discourage students from going to the same school for both BS and PHD. Is that true? Will that decrease my chances despite knowing some professors better?

I think it depends on your program, and what school you go to. At my university (where I am completing my undergrad) the best way to get accepted into a Ph.D. or Masters program is to apply in the same lab, under the same supervisor which you did your Honours Thesis in (I don't know what it's called in the states, but it's the thesis you complete during your fourth and final year of your undergrad). If you worked well and your supervisor liked you, you're in.

That's what I heard as well. I got rejected in record time by my alma mater. I would think it's better to branch out unless there is really research only conducted at your alma mater.

Its like this: There's 6 professors doing research in my field of interest (nanomaterials for optoelectronic or sensor applications) in a single department at my alma mater, compared to 0-2 for every other school that I could possibly get into with my low UG grades. That means I have more choices at my alma mater; if I think one professor just isn't my style, I can move on to another guy. Whereas if I go to a school with a single professor in this field and I cannot change myself to fit their personality, I might have to switch departments or worse, just leave emptyhanded.

My alma mater is not ranked exceptionally high. It isn't the greatest school, and I didn't do as well as I could have or should have, but it really has a great program in the area of my interest in my personal opinion.

I think it depends on your program, and what school you go to. At my university (where I am completing my undergrad) the best way to get accepted into a Ph.D. or Masters program is to apply in the same lab, under the same supervisor which you did your Honours Thesis in (I don't know what it's called in the states, but it's the thesis you complete during your fourth and final year of your undergrad). If you worked well and your supervisor liked you, you're in.

I did my undergrad research at a different department under a cross listed professor. Also, although he gave me A's for research and I worked hard, I want to do something different. Here you don't apply to a professor's lab directly, you can maybe express your interest and they can say if they'll instantly reject you, but they can't say they'll instantly take you.

Edited by SymmetryOfImperfection

I mean, if you went to Harvard and the best program in your field is at Harvard…why wouldn't you go back there?

I think you should take that advice with a grain of salt. If the best and top people in your research field are at your alma mater, then don't rule it out.

I've heard it depends on your program. DH took some grad classes, working towards a MCS at our alma mater but the director of my program said while they would be happy to have me, he thought it would be better to go elsewhere since I would be retaking several classes from the same professors.

I mean, if you went to Harvard and the best program in your field is at Harvard…why wouldn't you go back there?

To be exposed to a variety of ways of approaching a subject. It helps broaden the mind. Programs tend to have their own philosophies and you can become a bit of a doctrinaire if you never really leave the nest.

Besides, there is no such thing as one best program at anything (except maybe in very specialized fields).. there's usually a few that are competing for that top spot.

Edited by CageFree

If you did your Masters from elsewhere then I don't see a problem with you applying to your alma mater. What matters is that you did one degree, i.e. your masters, from a different place and you took the initiative to explore a different academic environment. That is exactly what universities want. They want you to work in a different academic setting and that you prove your mettle there. Once you get the experience, there is no reason why they wouldn't consider your application positively for a PhD.

I think most schools that have the policy of rejecting their own students for PhD programs do so to discourage their undergrads to go right into a PhD program at the same place. So, if you have done a MS somewhere else, that might be enough "outside experience". An example: when I was visiting one of the schools last spring, people told me about the others who were accepted in my cohort. One of them was an undergrad at the same school but that student was forced to defer admission for one year (to do a 1 year program somewhere else).