What do you do to relax while waiting?

Yellow#5

Many people are posting about panick attacks, difficulty working, stress in general during the waiting period.

In light of this, I thought I'd start a thread so everyone can share their ideas for coping.

I'm no lover of the gym, but I have to say, I've been going 3 or 4 times a week and doing some yoga, and I feel like it helps. Also, I bought new "stress" formula vitamins.

I also like to plan "fantasy" vacations (not real bookings, just browsing). Looking at fancy hotels in Athens, for example, seems to relax me. All those big, white, fluffy, down beds :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Green River Ordinance's new CD. http://www.greenriverordinance.com/ It's awesome and there's two songs that help my grad school depression. "Goodbye LA" helps with the I don't think I'm getting into UCLA blues lol.

As for something to take my mind off the stress I opened an Etsy.com shop so I spend my time sewing and selling items there. Bad news isI have spent a lot of money on supplies and buying other handmade items from other sellers. But it helps to distract!

I have a 45-hour-a-week job. It takes up a lot of my time. However, when I'm not working, I took up running with my dog. It's tons of fun and it's hard to think about school when my legs are hurting so bad. Then there's the recovery time...the legs also hurt then. So exercise is generally good. I've found myself perusing mapmyride.com to plan my next run or bike ride. That's lots of fun also. Oooh and another thing is browsing zillow and MLS for houses. My fianc

I got involved in a small play for a theatre festival at school, that has taken up some time over the past few weeks. We perform tomorrow!

To relax, I cook and bake. I don't have many days of class and I set my own hours at work, so I spend a lot of my free time cooking big batches of stuff to last me a while (stew, chili, etc.), bake bread, make cookies for friends, etc. It's a very satisfying process and is making me consider pastry school as a Plan B. :-)

Fantasize About People: My boss straining to either reach something or bending over in that pair of Levi's I dub my favorite... Delicious! Or my ex-boyfriend burning on a pyre... Burn... burn...

Or, just focusing on thoughts of my boss not his Levi's...

Hey, a girl can look, right? 8)

Singing: ABBA, Ace of Base and Roxette alone in my apartment. Or humming things like HappyHappyJoyJoy or the Puff the Magic Dragon song in the shower. Note: No, I am not and never will be a stoner but I did grow up on the Puff video.

Sewing: I have this quilt class. It's going to end in me losing a finger but it's still fun.

Knitting: Mittens, scarves and dish towels.

Watching Old Movies: The Big Sleep, Gilda... black and white, baby!

Drawing Vintage Pin-Ups: Vargas Girls!

Painting: Models (WWII stuff), and currently painting my boss's office supplies with white out while he's pontificating about something and doesn't seem to notice...

Writing Gratuitous Erotica: I think that explains it...

Writing Thank Yous

or

Posting on the Grad Cafe!

Pull out my hair? Oh wait...that probably doesn't count as relaxing.

I read fluffy novels--mysteries or romances. I can't bear anything serious right now, so even my favorite historical mystery authors are gathering dust right now. I'm going for silly mysteries like Mrs. Pollifax (Dorothy Gilman), Joanne Fluke's bakery series, etc. And historical romances, the more ludicrous the better.

Also, I play Scrabble--the "real" game with my family, or the electronic version on Facebook. I have half a dozen games going right now but earlier this week I had ten going at once.

Oh, and I fix up my house.

Cooking, talking about nothing with my roommates, TV on the internet, running, contradancing, and church stuff keep me pretty busy. I haven't really had to do much *trying* to relax though, it just happens! Alas, tonight I'm feeling high strung and am going to have trouble going to sleep in half an hour, which I need to do in order to wake up tomorrow morning for work.

To relax, I cook and bake. I don't have many days of class and I set my own hours at work, so I spend a lot of my free time cooking big batches of stuff to last me a while (stew, chili, etc.), bake bread, make cookies for friends, etc. It's a very satisfying process and is making me consider pastry school as a Plan B. :-)

i've been baking like crazy too! i feel like i've gained 10 lbs during this whole admissions process because of all the stress/eating/cooking/baking :-(

I have been playing DDR almost all night every night after work (and in between a few favorite shows). Its sooooo addictive and a great workout. Because I've gotten to the difficult levels, I probably burn like 300 cals in 30 minutes of play.

It keeps me from the computer for a while and by the time I am done, I am too exhausted to even think.

At work though, its hard to stop drifting to the inbox and gradcafe so I handle that by busying myself with work (and water cooler conversations) away from my desk.

I also like to plan "fantasy" vacations (not real bookings, just browsing). Looking at fancy hotels in Athens, for example, seems to relax me. All those big, white, fluffy, down beds :)

Same here! I actually planned a couple of trips to the beach, one in March (since my birthday is coming up!) and one in April. These kept me busy for a while since I had to book the flights (for me and my friends) and the hotels, set the budget and fix the itineary. :lol:

I listen to audio books, just so I have other thoughts aside from waiting in vain.

I get a massage one a week - a relaxed mind and body (at least for a few days!)

Cooking, talking about nothing with my roommates, TV on the internet, running, contradancing, and church stuff keep me pretty busy. I haven't really had to do much *trying* to relax though, it just happens! Alas, tonight I'm feeling high strung and am going to have trouble going to sleep in half an hour, which I need to do in order to wake up tomorrow morning for work.

YAY contra dance!! To cope with grad school stress I've been contra dancing twice a week instead of once...can't have too much fun.

I also have been keeping busy with church stuff, skiing and running, watching TV/goofing off on the internet, and hanging out with friends...anything to pass the time and take my mind off grad school stuff.

relaxing is out of the question, but calming down is a plus.

I did a ropes course with some friends last weekend. I'm hiking a bit. I try to enjoy the nice weather we're having...

Movies. I saw Madea Goes to Jail last weekend and laughed my tail off. Its good to laugh so hard your sides hurt :D