NSF GRFP 2012-2013

Robin G. Walker

Has anybody every done online gradute work with the GRFP?  Several of the top schools now offer online masters, and at least one major engineering college (Columbia) offeres a doctorate.  Does anybody have any experience with these programs?

I know the release is still a month or so away, but now that it's basically March I'm starting to get excited!

Here are the release dates from the past several years (copied from previous years' threads):

2006 - Thursday, March 30

2007 - Friday, March 23

2008 - Tuesday, April 1 (Results were accidentally released\hacked the day before)

2009 - Friday, April 10

2010 - Tuesday, April 6

2011 - Tuesday, April 5

2012 - Friday, March 30

Is it too soon to start speculating?

Going by this, NSF's will be announced somewhere between March 22 (end of spring break) and April 10th?

Yes, and it seems most likely it'll be released on either a Tuesday or a Friday.

Good! Tuesday and Friday are my lucky days lol.

Just a few more weeks left, can't believe how fast time has flown.

I called NSF today and they said that they are making the final selection now and the result will be released in the first or the second week of April...

I wonder if "released" means released to the public, as in awardees may know before then!?  ::constantly grasping for more info::  haha  Thanks so much for calling and posting this info!

Well done. Anyone else deliberately not read their essays since turning them in? Last year I had the smallest typo on the name of a place, which I doubt anyone noticed, and felt way worse than I should have. 

I know I didn't!  All it would do is crank up the anxiety, and if I found a typo/mistake it would have sent me off a cliff....

I called NSF today and they said that they are making the final selection now and the result will be released in the first or the second week of April...

Okay so I guess I could win it posthumously even if I somehow managed to die sometime before April...

But damn it; I wish it could be released in March since my chances of getting in one of the schools will be entirely determined by this.

Edited by InquilineKea

I deliberately didn't look at any of my application materials (for the NSF GRFP or my grad school apps) after they were turned in.  I'm a queen of typos but if it's too late to fix it I just don't want to know.

The decision will not hinge on typos. I mean of course a few ghastly typos that make it a clunky read would reduce their pleasurable reading and have an impact, but infinitesimal typos that were not picked up due to some error of spelling software I will bet they won't notice those either. They are reading 100s of apps in very short time.

I left a pretty glaring mistake in my personal statement last year (worse than a typical typo). Apparently my reviewers either read too quickly to notice or noticed yet weren't too bothered by it. 

Does anyone know if disqualifications have already gone out?

It was somewhat ambiguous whether my application would be accepted due to complicated rules regarding prior Masters programs.  I still haven't heard anything though -- hoping it wasn't DQ'ed...

It was somewhat ambiguous whether my application would be accepted due to complicated rules regarding prior Masters programs.  I still haven't heard anything though -- hoping it wasn't DQ'ed...

I don't think they have. If they have, you can log in to your FastLane account and it will probably report "Disqualified" instead of "Submitted."

I thought people already got disqualifications for formatting issues. 

I think aschein is referring to notification of eligibility for people in the fourth category (those who have more than 2 years of graduate units but special circumstances).

I read my essays a million times.  Sometimes I thought I had a chance. Other times, No.  Other times, just impossible to know.

Ditto.  I stink at this waiting thing.  I'm putting my money on April 2, too.

I was feeling anxious in general and wanted to see if the person I talked to would let slip any additional information. When I called their number (Phone: 866-NSF-GRFP ( 866-673-4737 ) ) they informed me that disqualifications have already been sent. She also offered to check on the status of my application and said that there were no "flags" on my application and to expect the award decision email in early April. If you are concerned, i'd recommend calling as it literally only took a few minutes.

For some reason I'm even more nervious now that I've basically just decided what school I'm going to....which is not the school I listed on the NSF GRFP application.  I also applied for the EPA STAR fellowship.  I feel like because of all the sequester talk that my admission to grad school pretty much relies on getting one of these fellowships.  I don't think my potential professor has heard about the proposals he submitted for EPA research funding either.

oh and I'm guessing April 3rd the announcements go out.

Edited by SensLu

Just to raise everyone's blood pressure a bit higher:

"This site is temporarily unavailable due to facility maintenance. We have been advised this maintenance window may be until 4pm Sunday the 10th, but may conlcude sooner. Once concluded service will be restored as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

It's my first time checking the site in a while, anybody else notice this up?