NSF GRFP 2012-2013

Robin G. Walker

Just to raise everyone's blood pressure a bit higher:

"This site is temporarily unavailable due to facility maintenance. We have been advised this maintenance window may be until 4pm Sunday the 10th, but may conlcude sooner. Once concluded service will be restored as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

It's my first time checking the site in a while, anybody else notice this up?

No, did you see this on fastlane? 

Just to raise everyone's blood pressure a bit higher:

"This site is temporarily unavailable due to facility maintenance. We have been advised this maintenance window may be until 4pm Sunday the 10th, but may conlcude sooner. Once concluded service will be restored as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

It's my first time checking the site in a while, anybody else notice this up?

Nevermind, you are referring to the NSF GRFP website. I don't think that matters, right? It's the actual fastlane site?

Year  Awards  HMs   Number of applicants

2012  2,067    1,770  ~12,000? (Thanks, vertices, for this and 2008-2010 Applicant numbers)

2011  2,077    1,987  ~12,000?

2010  2,051    1,974  ~12,000? 

2009  1,248    1,824  ~9,000?   

2008     913    1,640  ~8,100?

It is hard to find information on the numbers of applicants...

I update the missing "Numbers of applicants" in all years except 2011 from vertices reply.  Thank you, vertices

Edited by TrainDreaming

Year Awards HMs Number of applicants

2012 2,067 1,770

2011 2,077 1,987 12,000?

2010 2,051 1,974

2009 1,248 1,824

2008 913 1,640

It is hard to find information on the numbers of applicants...

The presentation they usually put up tends to give a ballpark about the number of applicants in the previous year.

This presentation quotes the 12,000 for 2011 and 10,000 in 2008 on the last page: http://www.eng.umd.edu/sites/default/files/research/2012-NSF-GRFP-Presentation-OFFICIAL.pdf

This one puts 2010 at 12,000 too: http://www.nsfgrfp.org/assets/File/2011%20NSF%20GRFP%20Presentation.pdf

and 2012 at 12,000: http://www.nsfgrfp.org/about_the_program/promotional_materials

This presentation claims a more exact 9,347 for 2008 (announced in 2009): http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/~millerpd/docs/501_Fall09/grfp_talk.pptx This is more in line with the 10% figure for that year. This webpage also quotes that number: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/departments/basic-science-departments/environmental-biomolecular-systems/news/nsf_fellowship_2009.cfm

Meanwhile, gradcafe quoting a now defunct page says 8,146 eligible applications (out of 8,582 total) for awarded 2008 (application started 2007):

Edited by vertices

My guess is the number in the NSF presentations are lower than the ball park numbers they give.  Though I don't think they're lower by a lot.  I wish there were some statistics, like other organizations.  Very scary to think I'm competeing with 12K+ applicants.

However, I'm more interested in knowing the statistics for each category as well.  Either way, no matter how good or bad out applications are, none of us can't be surprised if we don't get the award.  I'm just really interested in seeing the feedback I get if I don't win.

My guess is the number in the NSF presentations are lower than the ball park numbers they give. Though I don't think they're lower by a lot. I wish there were some statistics, like other organizations. Very scary to think I'm competeing with 12K+ applicants.

However, I'm more interested in knowing the statistics for each category as well. Either way, no matter how good or bad out applications are, none of us can't be surprised if we don't get the award. I'm just really interested in seeing the feedback I get if I don't win.

The other way to look at it is 2,000 awards out of 12,000 applicants. One in six.

The awards are given out proportionally per field of study so just by applying you're helping your field get a larger portion of the the total. This also means you can still go by the roughly one in six measure for your field.

I think it also works out that awards tend to split evenly by year (undergraduate, 1st year, 2nd year), but I seem to recall this isn't by policy but instead just how it usually ends up.

Edited by vertices

Got a call from my potential adviser today, unofficially letting me know I didn't get into my top program :/ Something about they already had students with similar profiles admitted in the last few years and they want to diversify. But she did say she thought my chances for the GRFP were good (she's overseen a few successful applications before) - and that it might be the willy wonka golden ticket to reconsideration.

Food for thought: have you ever thought about using a GRFP to apply for a dream program? I wonder if they'd take a student who has little to no relevant experience in the field. I'm getting the urge to go get a paleontology degree (currently applied for epidemiology) and find dinosaur bones. How cool would that be...

calm down. i wasn't putting down your grad plans at all. it was just a perfect opportunity to lighten the mood with an arrested development reference.

I had a big deadline last week, and now I'm free to worry about this again. IT COULD BE THIS WEEK, GUYS! Probably not, but we're definitely in the right time frame now.

I wanted to add a comment to vertice's list of Fastlane messages.

For the past three years, the hours have been different on the GRFP night. It's been 11pm to 5am. The midnight to 8am has been for other stuff.

"GRFP will be unavailable from 11:00 PM ET Monday April 5th - 5:00 AM ET Tuesday, April 6th for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience." ( )

and

"04/04/11 - GRFP/FastLane will be unavailable from 11:00PM ET Monday, April 4th - 5:00AM ET Tuesday, April 5th for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience." ( )

and

"FastLane will be unavailable from 11:00 PM ET Thursday March 29th - 5:00 AM ET Friday, March 30th for scheduled maintenance." ( )

...but to support guttata's enjoyment, you never know... :)

The last couple of years, these messages appeared the morning they were talking about (so April 5, April 4, and March 29, respectively). In other words, once the message appears on Fastlane, you only have to freak out for a day, you don't know very far in advance.

While this only confirms what we already expected, I called Fastlane and was informed that the helpline has been told that results will be released this week or next but were given no other details.

Guessing it will be this Friday or next Tuesday (but fingers crossed for sooner!).

I applied last year, but didn't make it to the 3rd reviewer. I applied again this year and am hoping I make it. Last year I was so anxious for the results, but this year I was more casual, busy, and I totally forgot for a little while that this was coming up. I'm a 2nd year student, so this is my last chance.

Good luck to all. Just trying to send some positive vibes into the universe.

I applied last year, but didn't make it to the 3rd reviewer. I applied again this year and am hoping I make it. Last year I was so anxious for the results, but this year I was more casual, busy, and I totally forgot for a little while that this was coming up. I'm a 2nd year student, so this is my last chance.

Good luck to all. Just trying to send some positive vibes into the universe.

Yep I too am a 2nd year student. This is it! Good luck everyone!

The last couple of years, these messages appeared the morning they were talking about (so April 5, April 4, and March 29, respectively). In other words, once the message appears on Fastlane, you only have to freak out for a day, you don't know very far in advance.

So, does this mean that I could wake up at 5am the day after the maintenance message appears and see my status?

Of course, it's not like I'm so eager to know that I would do something crazy like that... I'm just curious...

So, does this mean that I could wake up at 5am the day after the maintenance message appears and see my status?

Of course, it's not like I'm so eager to know that I would do something crazy like that... I'm just curious...

I think you spelled "stay up until 5am" wrong. :)

But in all seriousness ... In practice, the results come out before the scheduled maintenance is over. I got my email last year around 3:30am EST, and other people were able to log in and see their status around then. I remember there being talk last year that in previous years the results were available closer to 2:00-2:30am EST. So if you're on the west coast, you might get to know before you go to bed.

The other way to look at it is 2,000 awards out of 12,000 applicants. One in six.

The awards are given out proportionally per field of study so just by applying you're helping your field get a larger portion of the the total. This also means you can still go by the roughly one in six measure for your field.

I think it also works out that awards tend to split evenly by year (undergraduate, 1st year, 2nd year), but I seem to recall this isn't by policy but instead just how it usually ends up.

I wonder how that works if you select multiple fields, probably award by the primary field? I applied in Mathematical Sciences, which looks like the least popular main field (not sure if that's an advantage or not). My subfield, Computational and Data-enabled Science, was new this year as well. I saw somewhere online that they give additional awards to women in CS/Engineering...

I legit need to stop thinking about this lol.

Hmm where did you hear this? Everyone I talked to told me that undergrads rarely get them and I shouldn't get my hopes up :(