SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

So is this notification that SSHRC is sending to direct applicants just informing them of whether they have made it to the final round of competition? Not the official "You got funding!" or "Sorry, no funding for you" letters that normally go out in April right?

So is this notification that SSHRC is sending to direct applicants just informing them of whether they have made it to the final round of competition? Not the official "You got funding!" or "Sorry, no funding for you" letters that normally go out in April right?

Yup. Just to inform them whether they have made it through.

I wonder if this delay will delay the process of final results. It's so obnoxious they do it when they know April 15 is a deadline for response to PhD programs. Sigh.

Does anyone know the odds of receiving an award for the PhD candidates that make it to the final round?

If you're a direct applicant from outside Canada, it depends on the country you're applying from (that's all the data they compiled I think). You can check the stats on SSHRC's website.

For Direct Applicants, I received this from SSHRC after emailing them: 

Good afternoon,

The results letters will be mailed probably on Friday March 8, 2013.

Do MA direct applicants hear back as well or just the PhD applicants?

Ugh. the wait. it's tedious. Part of me is resigned to not hearing anything until the end of April/early May (PhD), but another tiny part of me that I continue to squish keeps hoping that I will hear sooner and that it will be amazing news (monies please!)

FYI I just heard back about the SSHRC Doctoral Award. I am a direct applicant.

I got into the next round! The letter was dated March 8 (as suggested above). Here is what it said:

"SSHRC has completed its consideration of the application you
submitted to the 2013 Doctoral Awards funding opportunity. I am
pleased to informed you that the committee recommended that your
application be forwarded to the national competition. The results of
this next phase will be communicated to you in April.

Among the 762 applications reviewed by the pre-selection committees, a
maximum of 243 applications could be recommended and subsequently
forwarded to the national committees."

Thanks for the update and congratulations! That is fantastic news :)

Thanks NFL! I've been through this before... First time, I didn't make it past the Cdn university ctte. Second time, I got to the A round, but it didn't work out. So I'm hoping this time I'll squeak through if they only have to fund me for two years...

If you're a direct applicant from outside Canada, it depends on the country you're applying from (that's all the data they compiled I think). You can check the stats on SSHRC's website.

The odds are 4 out of 10 you'll make it to the A round. 1 in 4 get the grant. Overall, approximately 1 in 10 applicants get it. The priorities of juries fluctuate so widely that all this doesn't mean much. After getting to the A round, I had a 60% chance of getting it by applying from the States, but it didn't work out last year.

Also made it to the A round, applying from the States. Those numbers poseidon quoted seem right. You can check and cross-reference success rates according to a whole bunch of applicant characteristics here: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx.

Looks like the success rate for applicants who applied from American universities after proceeding to the A list dropped from 72.1% in 2011 to 63.8% in 2012. Hopefully that trend won't continue up to now. In general, though, these statistics show that A-listed applicants from the US tend to fare better than A-listed applicants from Canada, who had success rates of 24.2% in 2011 and 25.3% in 2012.

Ugh. Gonna try not to think about this until May.

Also made it to the A round, applying from the States. Those numbers poseidon quoted seem right. You can check and cross-reference success rates according to a whole bunch of applicant characteristics here: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx.

Looks like the success rate for applicants who applied from American universities after proceeding to the A list dropped from 72.1% in 2011 to 63.8% in 2012. Hopefully that trend won't continue up to now. In general, though, these statistics show that A-listed applicants from the US tend to fare better than A-listed applicants from Canada, who had success rates of 24.2% in 2011 and 25.3% in 2012.

Ugh. Gonna try not to think about this until May.

The U.S. A list does fluctuate Eagle-Bear. Note that in 2010-11 the A list rate was only 47% (31 of 66).  Earlier years held to a 50-60% rate. 

I'm confused about the A list B list thing.  If you are in Canada and applied through your university, are you automatically on the A list?  Since your home university already did a ranking of applications and only sent out the highest ranked ones?  Or is the A and B list determined once all the applications are sent to SSHRC?

I'm confused about the A list B list thing.  If you are in Canada and applied through your university, are you automatically on the A list?  Since your home university already did a ranking of applications and only sent out the highest ranked ones?  Or is the A and B list determined once all the applications are sent to SSHRC?
Yes, I am curious about this as well. Particularly, in relation to calculating success rates, as the stats form sshrc have both A and B lists combined. Or A list separate. But not B list separate.

From my understanding, if you apply through your university, and are sent on, you are on the A list, but the A list sent to SHHRC is not a guarantee of funding (like in the MA level competition).  Therefore you'll be evaluated again at the SHHRC level to determine if you receive funding or not.

From my understanding, if you apply through your university, and are sent on, you are on the A list, but the A list sent to SHHRC is not a guarantee of funding (like in the MA level competition).  Therefore you'll be evaluated again at the SHHRC level to determine if you receive funding or not.
So then what constitutes the B list which is shown in the sshrc competition stats?

So then what constitutes the B list which is shown in the sshrc competition stats?

According to the site, A-list applications are the ones sent to Ottawa for the national competition, while B-list applications are not. However, apparently they keep the first page of each B-list application in their records, I guess so that they can compare if the same applicant applies a different year?

No, they don't compare year to year. Can you imagine the amount of paperwork and bookkeeping, not to mention time consumption, that would result in? There are A list and Alternatives sent forward so that if there are not enough successful A list applicants, they will consider those on the Alternative list.