SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

Some advice for people rejected. I too was rejected last year and didn't even make it out of my university, I was crushed. I do have a publication and numerous conferences, but I think what won me the CGS was my proposal. This year I completely revamped my topic over the summer, developing a really innovative idea which concentrated on Canada. I know  people are really tied to their research but coming up with a "sexy" idea for your proposal goes a long way. I have spoken to numerous adjudicators and this is what they all say- the proposal is the most important thing. It needs to be very easy to understand why the Canadian government needs to fund this research. You can have the best CV in the world but you will not get funded if you do not have an appealing proposal- note appealing is the operative word. Also, remember you have to have an amazing first sentence- I worked for months on just that- because they read so many of these you have to hook them right away. 

I spent months refining my proposal and even though I hate sending off unpolished drafts for critique I did numerous times. I went to every workshop and sent it to every department chair and graduate advisor. You need to get a lot of people outside of your discipline to read it because they will be on the jury- I sent mine to people in 5 different fields. Because supervisors usually do the same type of research they are actually not always the best people to only take advice from because they will not give you the  breadth your proposal will need (they do help with the depth though). 

Everyone who has won has been rejected from something before and I know it is hard and believe me I know the crushing feeling. i really urge those rejected to start this summer talking to many different academics on how to make your proposal stand out. Think about starting from scratch- that really helped me. You also really need at least 7 or 8 full drafts so start sending out drafts ASAP. 

I am sure there is some element of luck or divine intervention in this, but successful proposals really do have a certain formula. Try to get your hands on some and you will see what I mean. 

I finally received a letter today informing me that my application was rejected (successful applicants in my department heard by email on Monday, so I just assumed). I'm finishing my MA right now - I had been planning to start my PhD in September.

I've been putting off posting this because I'm so depressed about it, and embarrassed about my score (15.7/30).  I know there have been a lot of posts about the seemingly arbitrary nature of the adjudication (thanks for your post especially, DTrain), but it's still very painful.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who've been rejected who prefer not to post their profile for this reason. Here's my profile - I hope it's some consolation for others in my position, if only to let you know you aren't alone:

- 3.94 master's GPA

- MA SSHRC + several major awards, including an entrance fellowship, an internal award, a national prize for grad students in my discipline, and an undergraduate researcher award

- 3 peer-reviewed conferences (1 international, 2 national), 2 non-peer reviewed student conferences, 1 invited guest lecture

- 0 publications

- 4 RAships, including two overseas project positions

- 2 TAships

- high ranking by my department, forwarded by my university

- strong letters from two well-known scholars in my field, my supervisor and the research chair who I've RA'd for, both of whom enthusiastic about my proposal

- solid proposal, multiple drafts, reviewed and edited with supportive feedback from my referees & other professors in my discipline who have a great record of supporting successful applicants

To be honest, the score feels like more of a rejection than not receiving funding, because it's clear that I wasn't even close to receiving funds and I know I did the best that I could. I really need funding to pursue my PhD, so I'm anxious about whether I should defer a year and work instead. I am first on the waiting list for our provincial awards, but to judge from others' experiences last year, I likely won't hear for a while, and possibly not until the end of the summer.

My supervisor is as baffled as I am about the score. I applied knowing I had only a 50%-60% chance, so I didn't assume I would be funded - but I thought I was more competitive than a 15.7. It feels like such a personal rejection to receive a score that low after receiving such positive feedback from my mentors, and knowing that others in my discipline were funded with similar profiles. It's especially demoralizing not knowing how I could have improved my application. I guess it has to be the proposal, in spite of my referees' feedback - I really don't think having no publications would result in a score that low, especially for an applicant heading into year 1 of the PhD, but who knows. In any case, I don't have time to prepare a publication before the next application round, which makes me feel even more hopeless.

I think it's time to retire for the night with a glass of whiskey and some brainless tv. Hopefully after a good night's sleep I'll feel a little more resilient.

Hello,

If I may comment on your post I would say that it appears to me that the problem could be your proposal because it can't be the cv (awards and research). So i would try to improse my proposal (share it with as many people as you can, especially the familly non familiar with the topic!). Plus, I was told that the way to present the proposal is sometime more important than the content as far as the jury usually do not know your topic... And I think it's very important to put very clearly what would be the outcomes of your research... for Canada mainly.

I know it's no consolation, but you are still in your master and you did not start the phd yet. I was in the same position two years ago. I applied again during my first year of phd and I got this year a Bombardier scholarship. I know it's pretty hard to get the award before starting the phd.

I am sure next year will be very different! so don't give up,

Some advice for people rejected. I too was rejected last year and didn't even make it out of my university, I was crushed. I do have a publication and numerous conferences, but I think what won me the CGS was my proposal. This year I completely revamped my topic over the summer, developing a really innovative idea which concentrated on Canada. I know  people are really tied to their research but coming up with a "sexy" idea for your proposal goes a long way. I have spoken to numerous adjudicators and this is what they all say- the proposal is the most important thing. It needs to be very easy to understand why the Canadian government needs to fund this research. You can have the best CV in the world but you will not get funded if you do not have an appealing proposal- note appealing is the operative word. Also, remember you have to have an amazing first sentence- I worked for months on just that- because they read so many of these you have to hook them right away. 

I spent months refining my proposal and even though I hate sending off unpolished drafts for critique I did numerous times. I went to every workshop and sent it to every department chair and graduate advisor. You need to get a lot of people outside of your discipline to read it because they will be on the jury- I sent mine to people in 5 different fields. Because supervisors usually do the same type of research they are actually not always the best people to only take advice from because they will not give you the  breadth your proposal will need (they do help with the depth though). 

Everyone who has won has been rejected from something before and I know it is hard and believe me I know the crushing feeling. i really urge those rejected to start this summer talking to many different academics on how to make your proposal stand out. Think about starting from scratch- that really helped me. You also really need at least 7 or 8 full drafts so start sending out drafts ASAP. 

I am sure there is some element of luck or divine intervention in this, but successful proposals really do have a certain formula. Try to get your hands on some and you will see what I mean. 

This is awesome advice. Breadth and appeal are the main points. Can't agree more: your supervisor is often not the best person to look over it. Once again, you are not tied to what you say you'll do in the proposal In addition,let's not forget that each year we are competing against a different cohort. It's not just the jury that changes, but the preparedness of each year's applicants.

Hello,

If I may comment on your post I would say that it appears to me that the problem could be your proposal because it can't be the cv (awards and research). So i would try to improse my proposal (share it with as many people as you can, especially the familly non familiar with the topic!). Plus, I was told that the way to present the proposal is sometime more important than the content as far as the jury usually do not know your topic... And I think it's very important to put very clearly what would be the outcomes of your research... for Canada mainly.

I know it's no consolation, but you are still in your master and you did not start the phd yet. I was in the same position two years ago. I applied again during my first year of phd and I got this year a Bombardier scholarship. I know it's pretty hard to get the award before starting the phd.

I am sure next year will be very different! so don't give up,

Just a comment on the comment: SSHRC is also not the only game in town. I'm surprised by how many Canadians don't check out the States. They have a lot of money down here. They often fly you in for interviews. And they offer 5, 6 or 7 years full funding. If you can get the SSHRC on top of that, then it's smooth sailing. If you're doing something interesting, departments will compete to get you, depending on the field, and they'll offer you further inducements. Such as more cash.

Hi all. I received a letter today informing me that I won a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. Here are my stats:

-Score: 22/30

-Starting the first year of a PhD in Fall 2013

-4.0 GPA

-5 major scholarships, including MA SSHRC; multiple other awards and grants

-Two refereed publications; 8 non-refereed

-5 conferences

-Led four research projects, excluding MA project

-5 research, two teaching assistantships

-Two great references; one from Dept. Head and the other from a CRC

-Final proposal was the fifth or sixth draft

Best wishes to all!  :) 

Cheers! 

Just got my letter in Hamilton, and thrilled that I was offered a CGS. Here are the stats:

- Direct application (going into first year)

- Score: 29.2/30

- 4.0 GPA undergrad

- 4.0 GPA Master's

- 1 co-authored peer reviewed book

- 3 peer reviewed articles (2 co-authored)

- several scholarships, including a large external award for Master's (Commonwealth scholarship)

- multiple non-refereed articles

- Several RA-ships and one sessional teaching position

- 2 years in government and 2 years in non-profit sector - both policy research (after Master's)

- 2 strong references

- Proposal was written months before my application, and in hindsight I was worried that it was weak and unclear (compared to my PhD application). However, I did multiple drafts and had it reviewed primarily by friends in doctoral programs.

I don't know what accounts for the high score, given that many others have similar stats. But today I will thank the academic gods and make sacrifices in their name.

Best wishes to those who are still waiting. 

Hi all. I received a letter today informing me that I won a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. Here are my stats:

-Score: 22/30

-Starting the first year of a PhD in Fall 2013

-4.0 GPA

-5 major scholarships, including MA SSHRC; multiple other awards and grants

-Two refereed publications; 8 non-refereed

-5 conferences

-Led four research projects, excluding MA project

-5 research, two teaching assistantships

-Two great references; one from Dept. Head and the other from a CRC

-Final proposal was the fifth or sixth draft

Best wishes to all!  :) 

Cheers! 

Congratulations, Downhome! Can I ask what field you're in?

I just received my letter and am happy to say I won a CGS!!!  I previously applied to CIHR and had no luck, so I am beyond thrilled.

I applied to committee 4, education, linguistics, psychology, social work.  My score was 24.1/30.  I am going into my second year of the PhD.

Masters gpa 4.02

1 publication, second author

15 conferences

2 TA positions

3 RA positions

MA sshrc

Several internal small awards and one larger internal award

I didn't get to see my reference letters but I think they would have been strong

Had my proposal reviewed by two professors and a Phd student.  My proposal went from being mediocre to much better after several revisions.

I hope everyone else hears good news too!

Oh and I'm on the west coast fyi

Edited by psychgirl77

Question: When people are listing conferences, are these conferences you've attended or that you have presented at?

In my case they were all conference I presented papers at.

Still no mail in the States. Three times I've received mail on Thursdays when SSHRC sends it out the previous Friday. But their Twitter announcement was late on Friday, which means I'll have to wait another business day. By this time, I'm ready for acceptance or rejection, but I'd really just like to know!

Still no mail in the States. Three times I've received mail on Thursdays when SSHRC sends it out the previous Friday. But their Twitter announcement was late on Friday, which means I'll have to wait another business day. By this time, I'm ready for acceptance or rejection, but I'd really just like to know!

Yeah, my envelope was actually postmarked Monday.

It did feel fairly thick though because those 3 pages are folded.

A notice of a successful application is significantly thicker than the losing one. The letter I received last year when I wasn't successful was much thinner because it didn't contain as many pages. 

Yeah, my envelope was actually postmarked Monday.

Mine was also postmarked Monday. Though it does say on the Canada post website mail takes 3 days to get from Ottawa to Toronto, so it would have gotten here super fast if it was mailed on Monday. The letter inside was dated the 25th of April.

A notice of a successful application is significantly thicker than the losing one. The letter I received last year when I wasn't successful was much thinner because it didn't contain as many pages. 

Yeah mine was pretty thick with the three pages stuffed into it. I think rejections probably only have one sheet of paper in them.

Congrats to everyone who heard back with good news!! Did you guys hear back by mail or email? I haven't received anything by mail (though I haven't checked either, as I'm at school), but I got an "Accepting a SSHRC award" email from my department that appears to have been sent out to "new award holders." So I'm trying to figure out whether I actually got a SSHRC, haha. I'm just a little confused because I recall hearing back from SSHRC (Master's level) by email last year.

Congrats to everyone who heard back with good news!! Did you guys hear back by mail or email? I haven't received anything by mail (though I haven't checked either, as I'm at school), but I got an "Accepting a SSHRC award" email from my department that appears to have been sent out to "new award holders." So I'm trying to figure out whether I actually got a SSHRC, haha. I'm just a little confused because I recall hearing back from SSHRC (Master's level) by email last year.

You only hear by mail regarding SSHRC awards.  I would take it as a very good sign that your institution is emailing you though!

Mine was also postmarked Monday. Though it does say on the Canada post website mail takes 3 days to get from Ottawa to Toronto, so it would have gotten here super fast if it was mailed on Monday. The letter inside was dated the 25th of April.

Thanks for confirming the postmark. That makes sense. It usually gets to Buffalo the next day.

Yeah I only heard by mail as my institution put an embargo on giving out results. It seems some Universities are being kind and letting people know ahead of time so they do not have to suffer waiting for snail mail! It looks like maybe they are telling you something by sending you that email. If they are emailing people information they may give you the results over the phone. A few people on here won and didn't hear a peep from their institutions before they got the letter. I won CGS and no one at my university thought it might be nice to email me on Friday when they got the results (they actually probably got the results earlier than that). 

On a side note my university hasn't even sent me anything even after I received my letter, you think they could send out a measly congratulations. When I called the awards office to tell them I was accepting they sounded irritated I was bothering them and wouldn't even tell me how my guaranteed funding would change. They usually only win 4 or 5 CGS' a year so you think they could give us a little special attention. 

I don't want to sound bitter but this wait was awful and I am pretty upset how the stress has derailed my work this month. My university could have alleviated some of this stress by just emailing people if they got it or not- the last week was the worst and they could have prevented it. Some people found out they won over a week ago, if we can believe what was written on this thread then it is really silly to make all these people suffer when it would take a very small amount of time for each institution to email out the results. I think they are changing how SSHRC is decided next year- from my understanding each university will have a quota and decide just like OGS this year. I hope this new format will take out some of the wait time and universities will just post the results online instead of using the antiquated mail system. 

For those still waiting for a letter do not despair it still could be good news!