SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

Yeah I only heard by mail as my institution put an embargo on giving out results. It seems some Universities are being kind and letting people know ahead of time so they do not have to suffer waiting for snail mail! It looks like maybe they are telling you something by sending you that email. If they are emailing people information they may give you the results over the phone. A few people on here won and didn't hear a peep from their institutions before they got the letter. I won CGS and no one at my university thought it might be nice to email me on Friday when they got the results (they actually probably got the results earlier than that). 

On a side note my university hasn't even sent me anything even after I received my letter, you think they could send out a measly congratulations. When I called the awards office to tell them I was accepting they sounded irritated I was bothering them and wouldn't even tell me how my guaranteed funding would change. They usually only win 4 or 5 CGS' a year so you think they could give us a little special attention. 

I don't want to sound bitter but this wait was awful and I am pretty upset how the stress has derailed my work this month. My university could have alleviated some of this stress by just emailing people if they got it or not- the last week was the worst and they could have prevented it. Some people found out they won over a week ago, if we can believe what was written on this thread then it is really silly to make all these people suffer when it would take a very small amount of time for each institution to email out the results. I think they are changing how SSHRC is decided next year- from my understanding each university will have a quota and decide just like OGS this year. I hope this new format will take out some of the wait time and universities will just post the results online instead of using the antiquated mail system. 

For those still waiting for a letter do not despair it still could be good news!

I wonder why SSHRC does this. If governments are enamoured with best practices, they should be following such developments as electronic submissions of reference letters (referees in the States think the SSHRC system is hopelessly antiquated). I suppose one could  badger the Minister responsible for SSHRC through the National Graduate Caucus of the CFS.

I received a four year fellowship. A bunch of people have told me that it is common for SSHRC to upgrade their fellowship to a CGS. Is this true? Has this happened to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond thrilled with what I received, and wasn't even expecting it!

I received a four year fellowship. A bunch of people have told me that it is common for SSHRC to upgrade their fellowship to a CGS. Is this true? Has this happened to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond thrilled with what I received, and wasn't even expecting it!

This happened to someone in my program halfway through the year.  So it is possible, but I'm not sure how often this happens.

Sent my university (uWaterloo) an e-mail to see if they received the results.  Heard back that they had and that I didn't receive an award.  Assuming I'm not waitlisted either, but will wait for the official letter.

My stats:

-91% graduate average, similar undergraduate marks

-will be entering my 1st year of PhD in Fall 2013

-Received OGS and a few other graduate scholarships from my university and department

-0 peer reviewed publications

-0 conference presentations

-lots of TA positions and 1 RA

-1 "other" publication; a report for my profession's governing body

-solid research proposal and references (as far as I know)

Not much experience, so thought it was a long-shot I would win an award, but with so much money at stake there's always some hope!

Best of luck to everyone else and I will update my score/official status when I receive my letter.

Just wanted to say I received my official letter today.  As expected, did not receive an award and am not on the wait-list.  Also, my score was 14.5/30, which I'm pretty happy with as I lack experience in publications and presentations.

Into the fray of next year's application... congratulations to all of you who have been successful, and best wishes to those of you still waiting to hear!

This happened to someone in my program halfway through the year.  So it is possible, but I'm not sure how often this happens.

I don't know what the probability is, and you're obviously in a good position regardless, but I was waitlisted (#1 alternate, mind you) for a SSHRC in my MA and received an award in August.

Longtime lurker, new poster. University of Manitoba student, here. I have two questions:

- has anyone else NOT gotten their snail mail yet? Normally it doesn't take this long for a letter to get from Ottawa to Winnipeg.

- am I correct in assuming that they'll use the address that was on my application? I had a different mailing address through the school when I applied in the fall, but put my current address on the SSHRC forms.

Longtime lurker, new poster. University of Manitoba student, here. I have two questions:

- has anyone else NOT gotten their snail mail yet? Normally it doesn't take this long for a letter to get from Ottawa to Winnipeg.

- am I correct in assuming that they'll use the address that was on my application? I had a different mailing address through the school when I applied in the fall, but put my current address on the SSHRC forms.

Although I require a permanent Canadian address for my visa, I put down my U.S. address and (so far) have not had problems with letters arriving (since I've applied over the past 2 years), so I'm sure a Manitoba address will ensure (eventual!) delivery.

Can any winner report the statistics of number of awards granted versus number of applicants? You should be able to find this information on your letter from SSHRC. Thank you.

Can any winner report the statistics of number of awards granted versus number of applicants? You should be able to find this information on your letter from SSHRC. Thank you.

If you read back a few pages you can find it, lots have already posted it.

If you read back a few pages you can find it, lots have already posted it.

I could not find the statistics. For example, in my letter last year, SSHRC will tell you how many awards they granted and how many applicants forwarded to them. Last year,the stat is 955/1912...

I ask about this because the federal funding cut for research might be a reson why lots of strong candidates did not get it.

Edited by zhanghy

The letter which came yesterday in Toronto said 975 of 1931 applicants!

My score was 21/30 which is much higher than my former application which was 16. I am in the Humanities.

Still sending positive thoughts to those waiting!

I'd like to thank everyone over the past three years who has contributed to the forum. It is a real emotional rollercoaster to keep getting up the energy to apply each year. But it's worth it. I know of one person here in the States who has taught 30 courses as an adjunct: that would equal a 3-year SSHRC.

In my first year, I didn't get out of the Cdn. university I was at, though I was 1/20 in the department (to last year's inquisitive mind, yes, departmental rankings leak). It was pretty irritating to not even get a chance to compete. The screening process at the university was opaque.  Last year, I got to the second round out of the States and then scored 16.2 on the waitlist. Normally, second round U.S. candidates have a 50% success rate, so when it doesn't go through, i's pretty frustrating. This year, I re-did the research statement for the third time. I had a new person come in who completely re-edited a different but allied subject. The editing was intense but ultimately successful: I got 26.55/30 and a two-year SSHRC. 

Although I partially agree that juries can be mercurial, I agree with RosamundReage that re-writing the proposal with breadth in mind can be very useful. It's one of the few things in our control. The more readers outside your field the better. In fact, I'd do any workshops you can get your hands on. Each faculty member may have their own partial perspective, but they'll often have some kind of insight you can use. I can't remember the scoring breakdown, but it's something like 40% proposal, 20% letters, 20% transcripts, 20% CV (this could be way off, but I've had former SSHRC jury members suggest something like that). I know some of you have been (somewhat) justifiedly skeptical about peoples' CVs, but for the record here goes:

-MA SSHRC

-4.0 GPA Masters/PHD

-horrendous undergrad

-3 RAs

-3TAs

-6 years academic publishing experience

-full U.S. PhD funding

-two conferences

-one book contract

My proposal this year was very different and much better edited and written (thanks to the input from a very senior academic). I suspect the letters were better too, given that they'd gotten to know me. But in response to those here who feel the research statement takes precedence over everything else, I should add one thing: this year's application could not have gone up 10 points soley on the statement. It had to do with getting a contract to co-edit a text for a major academic publisher. My hunch is that juries speed-read the research statements and then look for things that stand out in the other areas. The contract stood out.

Finally, let me add to the chorus of those who advise not to despair. Throughout my academic journey, which started many years ago, with a significant break, I've encountered the very good, the very bad and the ugly. I've had great mentors and those who said I should give up. I've had one-time supporters become enemies and enemies become supporters. In a long-term endeavor such as this, your resolve is going to be tested. But I will leave you with this: find those who encourage your work. Look around. Have the directors of your theses supervised a lot of people? Did they get jobs? Did they like the experience of being supervised by X, Y or Z? Fundamental questions that often go unasked. Ask them. 

My best of luck to everyone. And for those who feel rejected, I know what you're feeling. But when the results are published, look at the projects that were funded, the jury that selected and start the process all over again. The best of luck.

Edited by poseidon2012

Still waiting here in California. Have any others in the States received anything yet?

I'm at UC Irvine, still waiting. I think it took two weeks to get the "you moved on in the competition" letter. My friend at Canada post told me five business days. So if the letters were postmarked on Monday then we should have recieved the letter yesterday, but my guess is that we'll get them early next week. Let me know if you get yours. I figure we'd both get them at the same time, but you might get yours faster since the letter might get processed in San Francisco from what my friend says.

Still waiting here in California. Have any others in the States received anything yet?

I received my letter in Chicago today. I was successful! Score of 19.9/30. Will receive two years of funding because I'm a current third year in a joint MA/PhD program. 

You only hear by mail regarding SSHRC awards.  I would take it as a very good sign that your institution is emailing you though!

Yes, I did get the letter by mail after all! I received a 3-year CGS, though I'm starting my PhD in the States in September so I'll have to downgrade to a fellowship. Still excited, though!

My stats:

- Score: 21.4/30

- MA SSHRC (currently holding)

- 3.95/4 undergrad GPA

- (I assume) very strong LORs

- No publications at the time of application

- 2 undergrad conferences

- I work on one of the major indigenous languages of Canada (I'm in linguistics), and have been involved with the language documentation and maintenance of said language as an RA since 2010

Edited by goldheartmountaintop

Just got my letter in Georgia. I was rejected with a score of 14.2/30. It was my first time applying. I'm a direct-entry PhD student, so I just graduated from undergrad in June 2012. I figured it was a long shot but was hoping! My letter was postmarked May 1st and there were 2 pages in the envelope.

My stats at the time I applied:

- 3.91 undergraduate GPA (no graduate grades at the time of application)

- Internal funding from my university, some scholarships from undergrad

- A few awards for my honours thesis

- 1 first author peer reviewed publication

- 4 international conference presentations

- 4 RA positions, no TA
- 1 technical report

- Research proposal was okay, but could probably have been improved upon in hindsight

- I assume strong references

Best of luck to everyone else who has yet to hear, and congratulations to those who were successful this year.

Received my letter yesterday (I had no idea there was mail on Saturday). I got 22.6 / 30 and a 2-year fellowship. Such a relief. My info at the time of application:

- MA SSHRC, and 4+ other graduate scholarships (the form only takes 5)

- 3.5 undergrad GPA

- 4.0 MA GPA

- 4.0 PhD GPA

- 2 peer-reviewed articles (1 single-authored)

- 2 'real' conference papers, 2 grad conference papers

- 5 TA positions

- 4 RA positions

- one year overseas work experience between undergrad and master's

- strong references (I assume)

Like others, this is my second pass at this award, so I understand the sting of getting turned down. I didn't even make it to the second round last time. Poseidon's earlier comments on this are exactly right: in my opinion, the process is best interpreted not as a reflection on "you," only those pieces of paper you submitted, and the temperament of the tired professor speed-reading them.

This forum has been such a great resource over the years since way back when I was applying for my MA SSHRC. Kudos to everyone for being so supportive and helpful.Good luck to all current and future applicants!

Received my letter yesterday (I had no idea there was mail on Saturday). I got 22.6 / 30 and a 2-year fellowship. Such a relief. My info at the time of application:

- MA SSHRC, and 4+ other graduate scholarships (the form only takes 5)

- 3.5 undergrad GPA

- 4.0 MA GPA

- 4.0 PhD GPA

- 2 peer-reviewed articles (1 single-authored)

- 2 'real' conference papers, 2 grad conference papers

- 5 TA positions

- 4 RA positions

- one year overseas work experience between undergrad and master's

- strong references (I assume)

Like others, this is my second pass at this award, so I understand the sting of getting turned down. I didn't even make it to the second round last time. Poseidon's earlier comments on this are exactly right: in my opinion, the process is best interpreted not as a reflection on "you," only those pieces of paper you submitted, and the temperament of the tired professor speed-reading them.

This forum has been such a great resource over the years since way back when I was applying for my MA SSHRC. Kudos to everyone for being so supportive and helpful.Good luck to all current and future applicants!

Too right, Eagle-Bear. In fact, you said it much better than I could. It's crucial to separate out (hard though it may be) personal from professional rejection. Professional rejection ought to lead to seeking out better-informed individuals to improve the research statement, as well as improving the other parts (CV, transcript etc). Though professional rejection can be capricious, there is often a consensus by juries. Some of these people have seen many applications and their judgment (though in no way infallible) should be given some credence.

If people are feeling personally rejected, that is utterly normal and something that everyone feels. But if it does not abate, then one has to ask oneself some serious questions. There is a distressing lack of irreverence in this profession. One can accept the judgment of professionals without seeing it as a judgment on oneself. More often than not it is a judgment on one's experience in writing applications, the availability/attendance of workshops, the quality of feedback and, yes, the shifting tastes of juries. On one level,I've never looked for external validation (pleasant though it may be) as an ultimate goal in itself, as that would leave one with no inner resources and completely at the whims of others.

But more to the point, good luck for all those who haven't heard and who are contemplating re-submission!

Edited by poseidon2012

I am a direct applicant and received a wait list result at 15.6/30. I am happy with this result as I was very satisfied with my application when I submitted it and felt my proposal was very strong. Further, my university of funding package overseas might actually be better without the SSHRC as I would likely lose it if I got SSHRC.

At the time of application I had:

- MSc GPA: 3.9  (dept award winner for "academic achievement")

- BA GPA: 3.79

- Undergrad and grad scholarships (not SSHRC); two fully PhD scholarships for an overseas university that I did not end up attending
- 1 national conference presentation (Congress)

- 3 papers at 2 international conferences
- 0 peer-reviewed publications at the time (had two in review but they didn't count...)
- Two TA, several RAs

- What I imagine were good reference letters

My CV has grown much richer since I applied to SSHRC, so I'm somewhat curious to see how I'd do in another round.

I am a direct applicant and received a wait list result at 15.6/30. I am happy with this result as I was very satisfied with my application when I submitted it and felt my proposal was very strong. Further, my university of funding package overseas might actually be better without the SSHRC as I would likely lose it if I got SSHRC.

At the time of application I had:

- MSc GPA: 3.9  (dept award winner for "academic achievement")

- BA GPA: 3.79

- Undergrad and grad scholarships (not SSHRC); two fully PhD scholarships for an overseas university that I did not end up attending

- 1 national conference presentation (Congress)

- 3 papers at 2 international conferences

- 0 peer-reviewed publications at the time (had two in review but they didn't count...)

- Two TA, several RAs

- What I imagine were good reference letters

My CV has grown much richer since I applied to SSHRC, so I'm somewhat curious to see how I'd do in another round.

What category are you in? I'm also waitlisted at 16.9, anthropology/social sciences and am trying to get an idea of where the waitlist for my category starts and ends.

Hi there everyone,

Can someone who has received the written confirmation of CGS SSHRC let me know the timeline for responding. I received notification from my graduate unit that I got it, but my mail is most certainly lost in transit.  Thanks kindly!