SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

Hi all! I'm a first-time poster, but have been obsessively lurking this thread for months. As an experiment, I logged into the system using an outdated account that I set up once upon a time and subsequently abandoned, and can still see the Michael Smith Foreign Study supplement listed. It's meaningless! 

Edited by dawnwaters

Hi all! I'm a first-time poster, but have been obsessively lurking this thread for months. As an experiment, I logged into the system using an outdated account that I set up once upon a time and subsequently abandoned, and can still see the Michael Smith Foreign Study supplement listed. It's meaningless! 

Thank you for finally clarifying that!

Looking at my two previous posts, that's the kind of critical thinking for which SSHRC should give me a Fellowship! :D

That, however, won't happen, so I'll wait for my bad but predictable news sometime next week, probably around Friday, since I'm in Vancouver.

Was notified by my dept. that i got CGS - pestered my grad admin for days, not sure how they have not yet murdered me in my sleep ;). Here are my stats, minus the actual score (will post that when letters arrive)

Second year phd Carleton U. 

10.7 GPA (high A-)

2 peer reviewed publications (one in grad journal one in regular but co-authored)

1 book review in peer-review journal

1 non-peer-review but still academic (co-authored)

1 domestic research conference. 

ranked high in dept. (1 or 2 - not sure)

only internal funding (no external scholarships - ever - at time of application)

applied in 5th category (committee 5 - econ, poll-sci, law, IR, etc)

Good luck everyone, sending all positive vibes!

Was notified by my dept. that i got CGS - pestered my grad admin for days, not sure how they have not yet murdered me in my sleep ;). Here are my stats, minus the actual score (will post that when letters arrive)

Second year phd Carleton U. 

10.7 GPA (high A-)

2 peer reviewed publications (one in grad journal one in regular but co-authored)

1 book review in peer-review journal

1 non-peer-review but still academic (co-authored)

1 domestic research conference. 

ranked high in dept. (1 or 2 - not sure)

only internal funding (no external scholarships - ever - at time of application)

applied in 5th category (committee 5 - econ, poll-sci, law, IR, etc)

Good luck everyone, sending all positive vibes!

Thanks Numbered! Congrats on a solid profile and in receiving the scholarship! Be sure to celebrate this weekend! 

Big congratulations to everyone who got positive news today! I'm waiting to hear either by mail or from UofT so we'll see if I hear anything on Monday. No one was answering their phone when I called them this afternoon.

I was notified tonight that I was awarded CGS!

PhD1 - applied in Fine Arts/Literature

GPA: 3.9

no conferences

no publications

12 awards (university and external incl. Masters SSHRC)

Congratulations to everyone hearing, good luck to those waiting!

I was notified tonight that I was awarded CGS!

PhD1 - applied in Fine Arts/Literature

GPA: 3.9

no conferences

no publications

12 awards (university and external incl. Masters SSHRC)

Congratulations to everyone hearing, good luck to those waiting!

Congrats! What era are you studying?

Big congratulations to everyone who got positive news today! I'm waiting to hear either by mail or from UofT so we'll see if I hear anything on Monday. No one was answering their phone when I called them this afternoon.

Best of luck Nerd_For_Life. Sending you super duper awesome positive vibes!!! :D

Best of luck Nerd_For_Life. Sending you super duper awesome positive vibes!!! :D

Thanks! Ugh. I keep going back and forth between: 'my guaranteed funding is awesome, even if I don't get sshrc this year I can reapply next year, no problem' and 'omg sshrc would make my life so much easier! and i don't want to face rejection!' 

sigh. Maybe on Monday.  It's fantastic that there have been so many positive responses in this forum. Way to go everyone!

Thanks! Ugh. I keep going back and forth between: 'my guaranteed funding is awesome, even if I don't get sshrc this year I can reapply next year, no problem' and 'omg sshrc would make my life so much easier! and i don't want to face rejection!'    sigh. Maybe on Monday.  It's fantastic that there have been so many positive responses in this forum. Way to go everyone!
I know exactly what you mean! The only thing I can offer is not to think of it as a validation or not. It is not like any of the people getting rejections are less capable researchers! Or less important research projects! A good friend of mine got a rejection yesterday, and his project is fascinating. And as a researcher he is brilliant. I blame the obscurity of the selection process for giving the impression of validation. I think we have all seen it go to people's heads once they get it, and that is both sad and dangerous. So I say, if you get it be super duper happy that your immediate financial well-being is no longer in jeopardy. And that's it! At least this is how I am looking at it. :)

Notified yesterday that I was awarded CGS as well! I'm wondering, when specifying a start date, can you change it from what you indicated in your application? I originally included the start date at Sept 2013, but I would like the start date to be May 1st instead. Anyone know if this is an issue or not?

Congrats to all who also received good news this week :)

Notified yesterday that I was awarded CGS as well! I'm wondering, when specifying a start date, can you change it from what you indicated in your application? I originally included the start date at Sept 2013, but I would like the start date to be May 1st instead. Anyone know if this is an issue or not?

Yes - it's on the SSHRC site, and I had a classmate who did this for her MA SSHRC. Email fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca asap - here's the quote from their site:

"20. Can I request a change of start date?

Yes, you may send a request for change of start date to fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca and SSHRC will contact you."

Keep in mind there might be a delay getting the payment info through, though. I requested May for my MA award last year and didn't end up being paid until late June due to the notification delay, so you'll likely be getting a back payment later in May or early June at worst.

Congratulations on your award! Can you post your stats, too? (publications, previous awards, etc)

Thanks! Ugh. I keep going back and forth between: 'my guaranteed funding is awesome, even if I don't get sshrc this year I can reapply next year, no problem' and 'omg sshrc would make my life so much easier! and i don't want to face rejection!' 

sigh. Maybe on Monday.  It's fantastic that there have been so many positive responses in this forum. Way to go everyone!

Hah - took the words right out of my brain! 

Not that much longer.

Just curious Zencarrot- how were you notified?  Did you department notify you, or was it your University's grad studies office? 

So if Dot and Raq are being honest and are indeed receiving genuine info I think there may be some cause to have their posts/accounts forwarded to someone at SSHRC who deals with questions of integrity and investigations. 

Now that this nonsense has died down, I'll share a bit more. I'm in the second year of my PhD studies. This was my first time applying for SSHRC doctoral funding, and I picked up a basic fellowship. I've had great internal funding for the past two years, including a major scholarship I now have to decline next year. I'm not sure what my exact GPA is, but I believe it's around a 3.8 or so. When I applied in the fall I had four peer-reviewed pubs. (two co-authored), a couple non-reviewed pubs. (i.e. book reviews), and seven conference presentations under my belt (incl. two grad. conferences). The employment history section of my app. (for what it's worth) was loaded with TA and RA positions and work I've done editing scholarly and literary journals. I'm sure my reference letters were good, but I mainly attribute my success to the strength of my research statement.

Ok, that's it. Congrats to everyone who has received positive news, and good luck to everyone who is still waiting (incl. the wait-listed).

Dear all,

Good luck to everyone as the letters start arriving Monday. By this time, I think we're all curious to see the results.

I  have  a specific question relating to any Canadians in the States. I've heard in the past that SSHRC sends cheques directly to grantholders internationally. But I notice that they have a form to be signed by the Dean of Graduate of Studies. (Of course, your department will know, because you'll tell your referees). I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if the university administration/personal dept. is aware of your grant, do they allow you to have SSHRC and university funding? Or do you have to suspend your university funding during the time you receive the SSHRC? I'm not expecting anyone on here to know this question, since none of us have the SSHRC yet (and may not!). But at the same time it's something worth thinking about. I know in Canada departments often "clawback" some of their own funding if you win the SSHRC. But I've also looked online and I"ve seen several Canadian CVs where people held both SSHRC and internal funding at the same time in the States.

At the end of the day, all this no doubt comes down to individual administration and internal department policies, but any thoughts would be welcome. I'm not expecting SSHRC grantholders in the States to read this, but if you do, please let us know about your experience too.

Once again, good luck in the coming week. Or if you're outside of North America, the coming weeks!

Thank you for the great answer to my question, wrenochka. I probably should have done a bit of investigating first!

Sure, my stats at time of application were:

- 1 publication

- 3 refereed conference presentations

- 4 non-refereed conference presentations

- no previous external awards (happy I'm FINALLY externally funded now...)

- 2 medium-sized (~$5000) competitive internal awards from the school where I completed my M.Sc.

- 93% average from M.Sc. and PhD so far.

ilovebooks - I was notified by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. They sent me an email indicating that SSHRC contacted them directly with the results. The competition results have been integrated into the online student interface already, so I was able to accept my award with the university simply by pointing and clicking (instead of filling out Form 1). As a side note - are you in I/O at Waterloo? I may actually know you if you are :P

ilovebooks - I was notified by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. They sent me an email indicating that SSHRC contacted them directly with the results. The competition results have been integrated into the online student interface already, so I was able to accept my award with the university simply by pointing and clicking (instead of filling out Form 1). As a side note - are you in I/O at Waterloo? I may actually know you if you are :P

Zencarrot- I had to look up what I/O stands for, so I can confidently say I'm not in I/O!  I'm in the Applied Health Sciences department.  Are you at Waterloo or studying elswhere?

Zencarrot- I had to look up what I/O stands for, so I can confidently say I'm not in I/O!  I'm in the Applied Health Sciences department.  Are you at Waterloo or studying elswhere?

Hahaha, you wouldn't be the only one who isn't familiar with this subdiscipline of Psychology. I am studying at Western, but the student I/O community is pretty tight knit in the southwestern ontario area (Western, Waterloo, Guelph, etc).

Hi everyone. Aren't letters of reference important in the ranking of applications? I wonder if sometimes people don't realize how much weight they hold. I was successful in receiving a SHHRC for 2013, and I want to share with everyone that I had two stellar letters written for me (both my referees allowed me to read the letters they wrote for me). In their letters, they not only praised my academic abilities, but they each included at least one paragraph that underlined the importance of my research. One letter was written by my supervisor, and one by a committee member. I know that SHHRC specifies that at least one letter needs to be by your supervisor. 

This got me thinking that faculty members should get together and share their "winning SHHRC" referee letters with each other in order to help out students....

Please share your stats! It would super helpful.

1 peer-reviewed article

1 peer-reviewed book review

1 magazine article

1 co-authored non-peer reviewed article

3 conference presentations, only one as single author

One external award (OGS)

Third-year Phd in Education at time of application. Was unsuccessful when I applied my 2nd year.

I also spent weeks and weeks and weeks writing up my program of study. This DOES carry a lot of weight, because even if your research is kick-ass, you need to be able to articulate it! My letters of reference were also very strong (My referees let me read them).