How much does the GRE Analytical Writing section matter for psychology?

BfastofChamps

I recently took the GREs and was very happy with my verbal and quantitative scores (169 and 163 respectively) but just discovered I only got a 4 on the writing. Does anyone have any sense of how much this matters for a (social) psych program? I feel like my background should make up for this (I was actually a humanities major and have won awards for papers I've written), but I was hoping my GRE scores could help make up for some other deficiencies in my application so I'm curious to hear any thoughts on the issue.

Thanks!

I have heard that 4 is the minimum required. With your verbal and quant scores, it should not be a problem at all. I think you will be fine.

I honestly don't know how that section is graded. I felt like my writing sections were pretty decent, and I've always been a good writer... but I also ended up with a 4. However, that didn't cause me any problems- I got into five of seven of my programs.

A bad score--not that four is necessarily a bad score--raises the concern that you can't write. A well-written statement allays all fears; a poorly written one confirms them.

I agree with the above. The AW doesn't factor in as much if you have a well-written personal statement. Submitting a copy of other written work, like a thesis proposal may also help if the school attaching it to your application and having high grades in writing-intensive courses like research methods probably also helps. Also, if you have a high score on one subject it can make up for a not-as-great score on another. Your other two scores are really nice, so everything should be fine for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. If you can show that you can write well, then they may figure that you are just not a fast typer or something. But also consider that the AW apparently measures the ability to (articulate) reason well, so make sure you show those qualities through other avenues of your application.