Brandeis

8in2009

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been accepted to Brandeis... not positive if I'll go. I'm waiting to hear back from 3 more schools- all of which I'd attend before Brandeis (unless I get some killer funding, which is doubtful, Brandeis has no money). All the rest of my schools are reach schools, though, so I think there is a good chance I'll end up attending. It'll be for the brand new MA in Global Studies.

I went to Brandeis for undergrad (East Asian Studies and French Language and Literature), and loved the school. Even if i get rejected by my other schools, I won't be disappointed to go back. If anyone has questions about general Brandeisian life/life in Waltham, let me know...

Edit: Got some funding and an assistantship! still haven't heard back from the other schools, but this'll be a hard deal to refuse!

Hi there guys!

I've been accepted to Brandeis (with full funding...woot woot!). I'm going to be visiting on April 7th, though honestly I do believe there would have to be a healthy dose of kicks in the crotch from Brandeis representatives for me not to accept their offer. The professor I would be studying with is a great match (and he's one of the biggest names in the field), the funding package is really great (I will try to negotiate a strong health-care package since we will be trying to start a family while I'm there), and their program is one of the best in the country for professional placement.

You know what excites me the most about having cleared the hurdle of acceptance to a PhD program? The prospect of never having my ability or value evaluated through a standardized test EVER AGAIN!!!!!! HOORAYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Hi there guys!

I've been accepted to Brandeis (with full funding...woot woot!). I'm going to be visiting on April 7th, though honestly I do believe there would have to be a healthy dose of kicks in the crotch from Brandeis representatives for me not to accept their offer. The professor I would be studying with is a great match (and he's one of the biggest names in the field), the funding package is really great (I will try to negotiate a strong health-care package since we will be trying to start a family while I'm there), and their program is one of the best in the country for professional placement.

You know what excites me the most about having cleared the hurdle of acceptance to a PhD program? The prospect of never having my ability or value evaluated through a standardized test EVER AGAIN!!!!!! HOORAYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Congratulations. :-)

At least in my case, health care was included in the scholarship/stipend package. Just for me, but the rates for my wife are pretty reasonable.

Just got off the phone with a professor at Brandeis, and if a bit awkward (though, I can't imagine how these might otherwise go), I'm definitely planning to enroll in the program. Anyone know how realistic a $20k stipend is for living in the area? It sounds good to me, but I've never lived entirely on my own and certainly not in a "big" city, so perhaps I'm being a bit naive.

Oh, and I'm planning on visiting during the grad fair in the last week of April--anyone else going to be there around that time?

*edit* I should clarify to say that I mean awkward in the sense that there wasn't much to say just yet--I didn't have anything of note to mention beyond how excited I was, and the professor outlined my funding package.

If you live in Waltham, perhaps with a roommate, your stipend should be more than manageable!

Living in Boston with the commute + living expenses will get very pricey.

If anyone wants to have a gradcafe meetup in the fall, Im in!

I'd be in, too! And thanks for the info-I wasn't really planning to live in the city anyhow (unless a good opportunity arises), so if Waltham is more affordable and convenient, that'll be my route. Anyone have an idea when I should begin apartment hunting? And when do people typically move up before beginning a program?

As this all becomes more 'real,' I only feel increasingly excited about it!

Most people I've talked to move in early August and I know a few people that have found roommates through livejournal.com and Craig's list... there is also a Brandeis classifieds website with a lot of options as well but I think a log-in is required to review them.

Most people I've talked to move in early August and I know a few people that have found roommates through livejournal.com and Craig's list... there is also a Brandeis classifieds website with a lot of options as well but I think a log-in is required to review them.

A log-in is required to get into the Brandeis classifieds, but you can get one even without a Brandeis e-mail.

http://my.brandeis.edu/

Thankfully my parents live nearby, so I'm probably going to move in June then live with them till I find an apartment. It will be more expensive to be unemployed in Waltham for a couple months, but it seems like the best shot we have to get decent and less-than-frightfully expensive housing.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use