Brandeis

8in2009

If anyone wants to have a gradcafe meetup in the fall, Im in!

Meetup??? I was just assuming that we would each be chained to a library desk the moment we arrived...I never really though I would be allowed to have a social life ;) That does sound fun, though; we should make it happen! :P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had an admission offer (some funding) for the comparative history program. I might be heading that way. :D

Congratulations manilowese! I'm sure we'll see each other around the history department from time to time :)

(BTW, guessing from your handle, might you be a "Fanilow"?)

Happy to say I've confirmed my intention to enroll and now everything is in motion! I'm visiting the weekend/week of April 26th, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or advice? Re: accommodations, transport (like, how I'm getting from the airport to my hotel to Brandeis itself, etc.), general advice on visiting a program, especially since this isn't a recruitment visit...? I have this strange inferiority complex--like I'm going to visit and they'll regret letting me in? It's silly, I know, but I've never really done this sort of thing before. I guess I'm approaching it like an interview when I should be thinking of it as a get-to-know-you, we're-happy-to-have-you conversational sort of thing. Anyhow-for those who have visited, what are your experiences or thoughts?

Happy to say I've confirmed my intention to enroll and now everything is in motion! I'm visiting the weekend/week of April 26th, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or advice? Re: accommodations, transport (like, how I'm getting from the airport to my hotel to Brandeis itself, etc.), general advice on visiting a program, especially since this isn't a recruitment visit...? I have this strange inferiority complex--like I'm going to visit and they'll regret letting me in? It's silly, I know, but I've never really done this sort of thing before. I guess I'm approaching it like an interview when I should be thinking of it as a get-to-know-you, we're-happy-to-have-you conversational sort of thing. Anyhow-for those who have visited, what are your experiences or thoughts?

You can get from Logan Airport to Brandeis by taking the Silver Line bus to the regular T system, taking the T to the commuter line, then taking the commuter rail to the Brandeis station in Waltham.

mbta.com will give you the times of trains, etc.

A little more detailed directions:

-Logan to the SL1 Bus (it will be $2.00 on your charlie ticket - that you purchase at Logan that allows you access to the public transportation) which takes you to South Station

-Take the Red Line Outbound (this subway connection is South Station) to Porter Square T-Stop

-Commuter Rail (Fitchburg / South Acton Line, Zone 2) will take you to Brandeis Stop (I think the round-trip fare is 9.00? I don't remember).

If you need specific Boston advice, PM me. I live here. :-)

Thanks for the help, cricket and 8in2009! By the by, another question: is it too forward/imposing to ask about being put up with a current student? I feel a bit strange about throwing myself on someone in that way, but my budget is super slim, and I'm not seeing much in the way of accommodations for my stay for under $350, even at really awful motels. I'm staying four days, but I would only want to stay with a student for the weekend (I think it'd be really cruel to expect someone to keep me for the days they're still going to class). Is this at all appropriate?

Thanks for the help, cricket and 8in2009! By the by, another question: is it too forward/imposing to ask about being put up with a current student? I feel a bit strange about throwing myself on someone in that way, but my budget is super slim, and I'm not seeing much in the way of accommodations for my stay for under $350, even at really awful motels. I'm staying four days, but I would only want to stay with a student for the weekend (I think it'd be really cruel to expect someone to keep me for the days they're still going to class). Is this at all appropriate?

When I was arranging my visit, they offered to put me up with another student. I didn't accept because I was close to my parents' home, but another prospective student did.

When I was arranging my visit, they offered to put me up with another student. I didn't accept because I was close to my parents' home, but another prospective student did.

I suppose what I mean to say is: if they don't offer outright, is it pompous for me to make the first move and ask? It would obviously alleviate some of my trouble with budgeting, but I also don't want to come off as presumptuous or have a bad experience while there because I'm forcing myself on someone who is too busy/too stressed/too offended-by-my-assumption to help me out.

Mentalyoga,

I think this is one of those situations that falls into "better to ask than not to know". I'm coming to visit on Monday, and even though I won't need housing accommodations, they were willing to help out whenever they could, even if I was the one to bring it up. (Remember: you've sold your candidacy to them; now it's time for them to sell their institution to you.) I think as long as you frame your question in the right verbiage (opening with, "if this would agreeable" or "if there is a willing student" rather than "is there someone who could put me up?") that doesn't assume it's expected.

Good luck on this one!

Yeah-I went ahead and asked, and was told that it's a liability issue. They apparently aren't allowed--at least officially--to organize this sort of arrangement. But everyone at Brandeis has been so honest and helpful through the process, so I'm definitely pleased with my interactions with them. I'm sure I'll figure something out--I might try a hostel (though I'm a bit scared to do that, as I've never stayed in one before and am traveling alone). My close friend knows people in Boston, too, so I might have him talk with them about possibly letting me crash at one of their places. Any case, still looking forward to it all-just worried that it's going to be a much larger dent in my pocket than originally expected.

Yeah-I went ahead and asked, and was told that it's a liability issue. They apparently aren't allowed--at least officially--to organize this sort of arrangement. But everyone at Brandeis has been so honest and helpful through the process, so I'm definitely pleased with my interactions with them. I'm sure I'll figure something out--I might try a hostel (though I'm a bit scared to do that, as I've never stayed in one before and am traveling alone). My close friend knows people in Boston, too, so I might have him talk with them about possibly letting me crash at one of their places. Any case, still looking forward to it all-just worried that it's going to be a much larger dent in my pocket than originally expected.

Hostelling International, which is in a really nice part of Boston was a great experience for me. Free wifi and breakfast in the morning, met students from Australia, China and Turkey while I was there in January.

http://www.hihostels.com/affiliates/hiu ... teID=97060

• 2 weeks later...
Brandeis People- let me know how your housing searches are coming along. I've gotten a couple of leads that seem extremely affordable. I've found two places for around $500 (including utilites) so far.

Is that for a single person with a roommate? I'm looking for an apartment for me and my wife (and obviously no roommates), so certain types of housing are out for us. But I have been finding one-bedroom apartments for a little under $1000/month. Is that about what people are finding?

It is now official: I am a Brandeis grad!!! Woo hoo!!! Now I only have 3.7 craploads of stuff to do before we arrive in Boston...nope, I'm still too excited to worry about that stuff!

Is that for a single person with a roommate? I'm looking for an apartment for me and my wife (and obviously no roommates), so certain types of housing are out for us. But I have been finding one-bedroom apartments for a little under $1000/month. Is that about what people are finding?

$500 in the Boston area would definitely be with a roommate. Most likely, two or three. :D If you're looking for a 1-bedroom, it is realistically going to be approximately $1000+/month despite whether or not you live in Waltham or commute from Cambridge (Porter Sq.).

In Waltham, right? I think you can get a nice 1 bedroom for $800-$1000. I only need a room (in a house preferably) with semi-sane roommates.

In Waltham, right? I think you can get a nice 1 bedroom for $800-$1000. I only need a room (in a house preferably) with semi-sane roommates.

Yes, that's in Waltham. We're aiming for walking distance of the school.

Hi everyone! I will be attending Brandeis in the fall for psychology :)

Brandeis People- let me know how your housing searches are coming along. I've gotten a couple of leads that seem extremely affordable. I've found two places for around $500 (including utilites) so far.

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but myBrandeis has a section ("classifieds") where people can post apartments/houses/rooms for rent. It looks like there are definitely some affordable places listed.

Hmm...does anyone know how long it takes after officially accepting via the website to getting the info about setting up a Brandeis account?

Did you get your official acceptance letter in the mail yet? If you did there's something at the top left - "SAGE student ID" use that

• 1 month later...

I've been out of the loop for a bit (busy end of the semester, and then started working immediately after graduation, to begin gathering money to actually *move* to Boston). Thought I would check in here and see how everyone's doing, what plans are for the summer, make sure the excitement level is still sufficiently high! ;)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use