MFA for Abstract Painting

JustinjSmith

I know alot of the grad schools I want to apply to for next fall but I was wondering if anyone knew a maybe top 5-10 list of Abstract Painting programs or at least professors that do abstract work. So for I just have Long Beach State, Claremont, Columbia.

Need all the help I can get

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The short answer your question is that there are many, many good schools, and the only way to find out what is right for you is to look at faculty work. But I think you must determine what your goal in art is before you waste your time paying for and struggling with getting a Master of Fine Arts degree. It is the rare gallery or collector that cares what degrees you have.

_

Canvas Painting

• 2 weeks later...

I am a MFA student at Pratt in Painting/Drawing and I think Pratt is fantastic for abstract painters. Almost the entire painting faculty is comprised of abstract painters. And the painting profs are excellent, amazing really. Not only are the painting profs, but there are also a handful of great NY critics teaching at Pratt. That and there have been some abstract painters who have graduated from Pratt in the last couple of years (like Trudy Benson) for example who have done really well. I think that Pratt is really worth looking into. The school is amazing and the campus is incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you guys feel about going to school away from the place you want to live/work as an artist?

I think this is crucial. You need to constantly challenge yourself. So pick a grad school different from your current environment, and IF you think you have an idea where you want to settle, you need to move there AFTER. If you're in the southeast and want to live the NYC artist life, go to grad school in L.A. If you're in NYC and want to come back, you owe it to yourself to experience something different. Go to Iowa.

• 3 weeks later...

You absolutely must go to grad school where you want to live and work as an artist.

The most important thing that happens in grad school is the networking that takes place. If you graduate and move to another state, how do you expect a gallery or another artist to ever look at your work? Galleries do not take submissions. Everyone who I went to grad school with that went on to be an artist afterward gained those opportunities through networking that happened in school. A reputable grad school will have an open studios event and galleries will come to look for emerging talent.

• 5 weeks later...

Take a look at UPenn too. I come from an abstract painting background and I am in my second semester of their interdisciplinary program. Thus far it has been a great fit. Here's a link to their new catalog:

http://www.design.upenn.edu/files/PennDesign_MFA_Catalog.pdf

On going to school where you want to live... It all depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. In some programs, everyone leaves town and goes somewhere else. Some places like San Francisco tend to trap people there in their own ecosystem. Some places like Chicago are so saturated with SAIC grads that people from other places have interesting perspectives. Do you want to teach? You will probably have to move to get a job. The right fit for you really depends on what your goals are. 

You absolutely must go to grad school where you want to live and work as an artist.

The most important thing that happens in grad school is the networking that takes place. If you graduate and move to another state, how do you expect a gallery or another artist to ever look at your work? Galleries do not take submissions. Everyone who I went to grad school with that went on to be an artist afterward gained those opportunities through networking that happened in school. A reputable grad school will have an open studios event and galleries will come to look for emerging talent.

In my opinion, this is horrible advice.  I disagree completely.  It's not that networking won't help your career.  But remember--Jesus never made it in Nazareth.  You'll be taken for granted if you've always been there.  If you're the fresh new face, you'll get more attention.

• 2 months later...
Hello friends,

I'm a self learned Artist. I would like to pursue a degree in Art and Design. I have some doubts regarding choosing the course. I know a friend, who did his Bachelors in Engineering and did his masters in Fine arts - Art and Design. I'm also looking for the same study since I'm an Engineering Graduate. Can you ppl help me finding the universities?

Thank you