MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

So glad i found this thread! I have applying to a few MPH programs in Ontario because I live in Toronto and don't want to leave the province. I haven't heard back from any of them yet so I am still waiting!

I applied to

U of T epi stream

Waterloo MPH - online

Guelph MPH

Queens MPH

Can people who are currently in MPH programs or who got acceptances to any of these tell us their stats like gpa and experiences. My GPA is ok but I have alot of experience in research, published paper, and currently am working as a RA on a few epi projects.

Goodluck to everyone!

I know that uoft only looks at the last year in terms of gpa i know someone in the program and they said the average was around like 3.75 but it sounds like you have a lot of experience in the field so you should be more than okay even with a lower gpa

also queens cut off is usually an 80 average (cumulative) and they focus much more on grades 

Dear all,

It is apleasure joining you here, i am a new immigrant and i applied to only Guelph since it was the only place which accept spplications till march, I dont know my chance but i need to know your feedback:

1) BSC in biochemistry (honors) but not high GPA(78%).

2) MS in biochemistry.

3) Certificate on emerging infectious diseases epidemiology from university of IOwa ,USa (GPA=4)

4) 14 years in infectious diseases surveillance in the middle east ,Africa ,east Europe and centeral Asia.

5)I attached an appreciation letter for me from the world health organization due to outstnding response during outbreak investgation in Africa.

What do you think , am i eligible to complete with this low GPA???

anyone think about Master in health informatics??

thanks

It seems like only a very few people in this forum applied to SFU. :(

I applied to SFU Global Health stream, and I have yet to hear anything from them. I'm getting sooo anxious because it says on their website that students should hear back by as early as March 15th. 

Looking back on the 2012 MPH topic, it seems like most people already had their acceptance/rejection letters by now!

I applied to SFU Global Health stream, and I have yet to hear anything from them. I'm getting sooo anxious because it says on their website that students should hear back by as early as March 15th. 

Looking back on the 2012 MPH topic, it seems like most people already had their acceptance/rejection letters by now!

Same here, applied to SFU social inequities & Health stream, no response yet! I am especially worried because at least one person on this forum was already accepted earlier this month...hope we hear from them this coming week! 

Same here, applied to SFU social inequities & Health stream, no response yet! I am especially worried because at least one person on this forum was already accepted earlier this month...hope we hear from them this coming week! 

I dont think SFU gives early admission. The person said that he was accepted on 15th February. I have tried to find out from SFU but they haven't sent any offer at all. Also, they dont send acceptance letter, they will only tell you that the department has recommended you for admission, and they will send the offer letter in few weeks time.  May be the guy that had offer was for spring semester. So we are all in the same boat, no offer has been sent out for fall semester.

Dear all,

It is apleasure joining you here, i am a new immigrant and i applied to only Guelph since it was the only place which accept spplications till march, I dont know my chance but i need to know your feedback:

1) BSC in biochemistry (honors) but not high GPA(78%).

2) MS in biochemistry.

3) Certificate on emerging infectious diseases epidemiology from university of IOwa ,USa (GPA=4)

4) 14 years in infectious diseases surveillance in the middle east ,Africa ,east Europe and centeral Asia.

5)I attached an appreciation letter for me from the world health organization due to outstnding response during outbreak investgation in Africa.

What do you think , am i eligible to complete with this low GPA???

anyone think about Master in health informatics??

thanks

I dont think SFU gives early admission. The person said that he was accepted on 15th February. I have tried to find out from SFU but they haven't sent any offer at all. Also, they dont send acceptance letter, they will only tell you that the department has recommended you for admission, and they will send the offer letter in few weeks time.  May be the guy that had offer was for spring semester. So we are all in the same boat, no offer has been sent out for fall semester.

I also got the same reply from SFU! they said they should be sending out offers sometime this month but it does seem like a lot of people around this time last year so shouldn't be too long now 

Thanks for that info! The wait continues...Best wishes to all fall applicants!

Thanks for that info! The wait continues...Best wishes to all fall applicants!

Hi all,

I am 'the guy' (actually, the gal) that posted about getting accepted to SFU's program - MPH Global Health stream.  I was accepted on February 15 for the fall term 2013- just to confirm it was not for the spring semester.  My case may be different because I was offered an entrance scholarship - and if it makes a difference I submitted my application before the (earlier) Jan 15 deadline.  It sounds like my admission was out of the ordinary - I am sure you will all hear back soon! 

Best of luck to everyone

Hi all,

I am 'the guy' (actually, the gal) that posted about getting accepted to SFU's program - MPH Global Health stream.  I was accepted on February 15 for the fall term 2013- just to confirm it was not for the spring semester.  My case may be different because I was offered an entrance scholarship - and if it makes a difference I submitted my application before the (earlier) Jan 15 deadline.  It sounds like my admission was out of the ordinary - I am sure you will all hear back soon! 

Best of luck to everyone

oK THANKS the information was helpful. Do you mind sharing with us your qualifications and cgpa

Hi all,

Best of luck to everyone

Actually the deadline was February 1, not January 15. Unless you mean deadline for entrance scholarship.

oK THANKS the information was helpful. Do you mind sharing with us your qualifications and cgpa

BA joint honours International Development Studies and Anthropology - Canadian University

CGPA 3.81/4.0, GPA in final year was 3.96

Post-graduate certificate International Project Management (12 month program) - Canadian College

Avg 91%

I also have about 5 years of work and volunteer experience with health-focused NGOs in sub-saharan Africa and in Canada.

BA joint honours International Development Studies and Anthropology - Canadian University

CGPA 3.81/4.0, GPA in final year was 3.96

Post-graduate certificate International Project Management (12 month program) - Canadian College

Avg 91%

I also have about 5 years of work and volunteer experience with health-focused NGOs in sub-saharan Africa and in Canada.

Ok. Thank you.

Hi all,

Best of luck to everyone

How nice of you to resolve this "puzzle!" And Congrats to you! Your stats in your later post look great- I can see how you got yours that early!  :) I also applied by Jan 15th, so I am even mooooore worried :(! I have a few disadvantages- advanced age, only clinical experience (Diploma RN- in 4 countries in Africa & N. America) plus 4 years community/faith-based voluntary work with a health related component, no publications/ research experience, not so great references (2 out of 3 are non-academic, been out of school for a long time), but great GPA, just completing my BSN expecting cGPA at least 3.8/4.0 and last year 4.0/4.0. Its the only application I made, my favourite program. Will wait for now...Thanks a lot!

Edited by UTH90