MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Anybody has heard of Top schools like UBC or Toronto who have accepted applicants who do not meet their GPA requirements, but may have lots of work experience?

Hello, I am new in this thread. I am applying only in Uni alberta as one of the prof has replied me.My conc. is Health promotion studies(MPH).

I have a query.Does anyone know the Dept code for GRE?

I have already mailed them regarding the matter and they replied the code "25", but in ETS there is no such code for GRE.

I am really in a fix! :(

Hello! I am new to this forum, but it has been great reading the information you all have shared - nice to know I am not alone! This is probably a silly question, but I wasn't sure if I include a cover letter with my CV? I cannot find the answer to this online, so I was hoping some of my fellow mph applicants could shed some light. Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone,

This is my first time applying to any MPH programs and I've got my heart set on UBC and UWaterloo, as both programs are geared for professionals currently working in the field.  Any suggestions/pointers from previous applicants/current attendees would be greatly appreciated!

Currently in the process of finalizing my CV and completing my LOI for these programs...:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I am new to this forum, but it has been great reading the information you all have shared - nice to know I am not alone! This is probably a silly question, but I wasn't sure if I include a cover letter with my CV? I cannot find the answer to this online, so I was hoping some of my fellow mph applicants could shed some light. Thank you in advance!

Hi there,  No I definitely don't think you submit a cover letter with your CV.   That's essentially what your Letter of Intent is for.  Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,  What did everyone think about the application process?

I've applied to U of T so far (MPH Health Promotion w. Global Health emphasis), and I'll also be applying to McMaster's MSc Global Health program as a back-up.  Did anyone else apply to McMaster for the MSc Global Health?

I thought I'd join in on the forum! I've applied to the public health programs at UBC and McGill. I'm only applying to the two so I'm quite nervous! I guess we all have to wait for another 3 months or so until we find out about acceptances.

UBC has a great program though its quite competitive! I was accepted at UBC last year and McGill is my alma mater. Best of luck with the outcomes of your applications.  

I've applied to UVic MPH for Health Informatics and to UofS for MPH Behavioural and Social. Currently sitting at a 3.7 GPA with a B.A. and three years of relevant volunteer and work experience. Best of luck to all my fellow applicants!

Hello! Has anyone else had issues with Saskatchewan's online checklist? My referees submitted letters in January, but they are not shown as received. I am hoping they just haven't updated their checklist, but was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this?

Hey Guys-

I am currently MPH Epi stream at U of T. If you have any questions feel free to email. I got a letter in April about the program, though I have some friends who only got them in June/July. 

Also, U of T is DOUBLING the size of their programs for 2013 Fall. I am already in classes with 90 people.

My cohort refers to our program as an undergrad because that is the teaching style. It is disorganized and disjointed. If you want the traditional masters program, with relationships with profs and access to opportunities, this may not be it. If you want to get some letters and not much else then go for it. Just important to know that this is becoming and MPH factory, not a program. 

Hello! Has anyone else had issues with Saskatchewan's online checklist? My referees submitted letters in January, but they are not shown as received. I am hoping they just haven't updated their checklist, but was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this?

Hi, mph33

It happened with me, they usually update it a bit late. Just mail them once and they will upload soon.

Hi, I am interested in the MPH programs at UBC and SFU and was hoping to get more info from you guys. :) 

Here is my background info:

I am a 4th year student in UBC cell biology and genetics. I plan to take a year off to get more experience in health promotion/health care field before I apply in december for the fall 2014 entry. My GPA isn't that great. It is about 77-78% for upper level courses. 

I have 3 references: one from an associate dean and two from research docs. One doc works at a hospital and one at bc centre for disease control. I'm currently a research assistant at a genetics lab and did a variety of volunteer work in the past. I will be doing a public health related internship in the summer for the centre for disease control. 

Do you think I have a chance of getting in either school? 

Thanks everyone! ^_^

Hey Guys-

I am currently MPH Epi stream at U of T. If you have any questions feel free to email. I got a letter in April about the program, though I have some friends who only got them in June/July. 

Also, U of T is DOUBLING the size of their programs for 2013 Fall. I am already in classes with 90 people.

My cohort refers to our program as an undergrad because that is the teaching style. It is disorganized and disjointed. If you want the traditional masters program, with relationships with profs and access to opportunities, this may not be it. If you want to get some letters and not much else then go for it. Just important to know that this is becoming and MPH factory, not a program. 

That's unfortunate to hear  :( Thank you for sharing this information with others; I am sure they will find it helpful to know. I hope you are getting at least some enjoyment from the programme though (interesting classes?). 

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has heard back from any of the MPH programs? I know it may be too early but reading the grad cafe forum form the 2012 applicants led me to think that some schools made their decisions in mid February. 

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has heard back from any of the MPH programs? I know it may be too early but reading the grad cafe forum form the 2012 applicants led me to think that some schools made their decisions in mid February. 

From what I understand, they usually start sending out admissions in March. Not much longer! 

Hey all, I'm new to this. I already got 1 unconditional offer from UofSaks for the MPH program. Just waiting on UofAlberta before I make my decision. So yes offers have started going out. Goodluck everyone

Hey all, I'm new to this. I already got 1 unconditional offer from UofSaks for the MPH program. Just waiting on UofAlberta before I make my decision. So yes offers have started going out. Goodluck everyone

Chichi congrats to you. I hope mine comes out positively too.

Hey Guys-

Same for health promotion on all counts.  We do have more flexibility though (fewer required classes) and so can take things that allow for more 1-1 instruction (reading courses with 1 prof or independent research).

Hi Everyone,

I found out about UBC last year on the last day of Feb.  They're the earliest I think.

Congrats chichi13 !! That's wonderful.

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear fro U of T's Health Promotion MPH? Or McMaster's MSc Global Health?

I'm in UofT HP.  I found out last year in late March.  I got an entrance scholarship so presumably was among the first round of offers.

Hi Guys,

I received an email from Lakehead on Monday evening stating that I was recommended for admission into their MPH program. The official offer of admission will be processed and mailed within 4-6 weeks.

Anyone else apply to Lakehead University?