MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

I received an acceptance letter from U of T today, for the MPH in Epidemiology. It arrived in the mail and from the postmark was sent yesterday, so keep an eye on your mailboxes for those who applied to that program as it seems they're getting out acceptances earlier than I was expecting!

congratulations !! that's wonderful.  I was wondering if you knew when you were expected to hear back from U of T ?  I applied to the MPH Health Promotion and they said everyone will know their status as of mid-April and they will start sending out acceptances late March .. nothing yet for me though.  Thanks!

congratulations !! that's wonderful.  I was wondering if you knew when you were expected to hear back from U of T ?  I applied to the MPH Health Promotion and they said everyone will know their status as of mid-April and they will start sending out acceptances late March .. nothing yet for me though.  Thanks!

No, I wasn't really expecting to hear back yet. I was going by their "Timeline" page, which says letters would be out starting mid-April. But it probably varies a bit for each specialization - my guess would be that there are more applicants to wade through for Health Promo than for Epi.

Edited by maturia

I received an acceptance letter from U of T today, for the MPH in Epidemiology. It arrived in the mail and from the postmark was sent yesterday, so keep an eye on your mailboxes for those who applied to that program as it seems they're getting out acceptances earlier than I was expecting!

Congratulations Maturia!! I emailed U of T yesterday and they informed me that they were unable to offer me admission this year  :( I applied to the Occ and Env Stream. 

Edited by Dr.S

Congratulations Maturia!! I emailed U of T yesterday and they informed me that they were unable to offer me admission this year  :( I applied to the Occ and Env Stream. 

Thank you! I'm sorry to hear that :( I think that stream is really small so there probably weren't very many acceptances. Best of luck with your other applications!

Hey! thank you for all the information. I am from Toronto so I am a bit hesitant to move to Edmonton but I was wondering how your experience has been so far? and what is the difference between pursuing an mph with a specialization (epidemiology) and a general one (the one offered at UBC) I am a bit confused about which school to attend and I don't know if not having a specialization would put one at a disadvantage after completing the degree! 

any advice would be really appreciated

Hi, my experience has been quite positive. The coursework can be challenge if you load yourself up with too many classes, but all things considered, I am completely satisfied with the program as a whole. As for living conditions, I live on campus and the building where all my classes are held is only a 10 min walk away. For those colder days I found a route where I only need to walk outside for 5 min! It's a gorgeous building too, just built last year. Living in the Vancouver area my whole life I wouldn't say I'm used to the snow, but the snow this year hasn't been bad. Edmonton isn't as city-like as Toronto, I like big cities and I've lived in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, but you don't have the same city culture as with the other big Canadian cities. If you live on campus, there are some great restaurants nearby! Everyone is friendly in the city too. Besides the Edmontonians, the next largest represented city in our program is Toronto. 

I'm not sure if I can answer the difference in specialization question, but I can speculate. It looks as though the UBC program has the option where you can take more epi courses with your MPH if you wanted, but of course there's no extra designation for that. The only time where it may matter is if a certain job requires that you have and MPH in Epi, or that you can show you've taken many epi courses with your MPH at UBC. On the other hand, a potential employer who looks at my degree will see my specialization in epi and won't have to ask to see my transcripts. I'm not sure if that will impact you, it may be something minuscule, but still something to consider. Besides that, I don't think it's a big deal. Most of the job postings I've seen accept MPH or MSc so I believe there's some wiggle room. I will say that if you don't want to get screwed over in that situation, then take a good number of epidemiology courses (as much as a MPH Epi student would have to take at a different school, then you'll be safe). 

I hope that addresses your question. Send me a msg if you have any more questions, I don't always scroll through this blog to see if someone has asked me something. All the best!

Hi, J-man. What would influence your choice between these schools (if u had to choose) between U of saskatchewan, U of alberta, Simon Fraser. All things being considered. Secondly, what is the expectant impact on the education cuts at U of Alberta (especially international students, as per tuition, quality of program). Have you considered life after school in the edmonton area? Plus how can I send u a personal message, U seem to have no contact details on your profile.

Hi all, I checked my U of Saskatchewan application profile recently, and saw "Decision Made, Contact Admissions Office"

I did email d admissions office, but they say I'll know by April. Anyont got an idea? Or in a similar position or with past experience? Because if decision is been made, I would have thought the decision should be known to me at this point, whether accepted or rejected. God help me, I'm so anxious

Hi all, I checked my U of Saskatchewan application profile recently, and saw "Decision Made, Contact Admissions Office"

I did email d admissions office, but they say I'll know by April. Anyont got an idea? Or in a similar position or with past experience? Because if decision is been made, I would have thought the decision should be known to me at this point, whether accepted or rejected. God help me, I'm so anxious

Hi

Mine is also the same and they have informed me to wait for the decision till april. So I am in the same position as you are.

Hi

Mine is also the same and they have informed me to wait for the decision till april. So I am in the same

position as you are.

That's ok, april is only next week. Fingers crossed.

Hi all,

My U of T online status has changed to Decision Made. Anybody know what to do from here (i.e. call?)

What does this mean?

Hi deletta,

just wondering if this is for the MPH Epi or MPH Health Promotion?

Thanks!

Hi deletta,

just wondering if this is for the MPH Epi or MPH Health Promotion?

Thanks!

Hey I applied to epi at UofT as well and I have the same status! but I think they send the decision by snail mail or you could always e-mail them and they might tell you the decision

Hey I applied to epi at UofT as well and I have the same status! but I think they send the decision by snail mail or you could always e-mail them and they might tell you the decision

I don't have access to my snail mail until later this week (I'm away) so I guess I could call or email. If you hear or receive anything let me know! historically, does anyone know if they put decision made only if you are accepted or also for non acceptance applicants?

I don't have access to my snail mail until later this week (I'm away) so I guess I could call or email. If you hear or receive anything let me know! historically, does anyone know if they put decision made only if you are accepted or also for non acceptance applicants?

One of the applicants posted earlier that she got in but her status still says "under review" so it might not be a good sign but thats just a hunch it could be either but calling them might be the fastest way to find out

Ill post as soon as i hear back  

goodluck! 

I emailed the grad coordinator at U of T earlier this week, and she said that they weren't able to offer me admission for this year. But my status still says 'under review'.

To anyone waiting to hear from SFU, I called them a few moments ago and was told that due to a technical difficulty they will be letting people know by early next week.

Happy waiting!

Thanks for the info. And this should be the week we begin to hear from SFU. Anxiety increasing, but want to get over this waiting, no matter what the result ;) . Best wishes SFU hopefuls!!

Thoughts on UAlberta vs. USask for MPH in Epi? I like that UAlberta offers a specialization route, but looking at the courses, I like that USask has really good choices for Epi electives and a variety too. Anyone else waiting to hear back from UAlberta?? The wait is making me anxious to the max :( Congrats to all that have been accepted

Received my offer letter from UVic today! They're my top pick so it looks like I'll be headed there in the Fall. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

did they email you? out of curiousity, what time did you recieve your offer?

For those waiting to hear from U of T, I simply emailed the school today and they got back to me regarding my status. I am currently on the waitlist however they will provide the official rejection/acceptance mid May.

Received my offer letter from UVic today! They're my top pick so it looks like I'll be headed there in the Fall. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Pls did you receive the offer letter from post or email? Soo anxious. I haven't heard from them :(