PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

I have the same issue as EndlessAshley--a number of my courses (especially upper-level language) are listed as independent studies. Also, my transcripts don't list instructors, which may or may not be significant. I've listed my relevant coursework as a sort of appendix on the longer version of my CV.

I have the same issue as EndlessAshley--a number of my courses (especially upper-level language) are listed as independent studies. Also, my transcripts don't list instructors, which may or may not be significant. I've listed my relevant coursework as a sort of appendix on the longer version of my CV.

I did the same. I have three different transcripts with a total of 250+ credit hours. I made the last page of my CV a list of relevant courses, because I figured it would be much easier for committees to look over and get a better grasp of my academic background (rather than poring over multiple pages of transcripts containing much that is irrelevant to my application). And, as others mentioned, many of the courses on my transcripts are vaguely/unhelpfully titled with no instructor listed, so it's another way to remedy that problem. I also noticed that a couple of programs specifically recommend that applicants submit such a document.

I've never heard of people listing courses they've taken. Is this a thing people do?

I know that if you are applying for the ThD program at HDS, at least, they require an "abstract of courses," which is an abbreviated list of past classes one has taken (with the course titles and grades received), that are relevant to your intended field of study. This is in the electronic application itself, though, so one wouldn't be able to submit the application without filling it out. I'm not sure what other programs do.

I did wonder how one defines "relevant" for the courses he/she lists on an abstract however. If I am applying to Hebrew Bible programs, would I list courses that fall under the "religion" category in general (like New Testament studies, or Church History, etc.) or would they want me to list only those courses that relate directly to Hebrew Bible?

The only courses that I listed were the full semester college courses that I taught as adjunct faculty.  I didn't explain the two independent studies that I had taken.  That may have been a mistake!

I have heard of a rejection on Emory from some people, but I have yet to receive anything. Does this mean a waitlist? My sub-discipline in is NT.

I'm also applying to NT and haven't received a rejection. No news is usually good news, but this probably just means they haven't got around to sending the NT rejections yet :P

I'm also applying to NT and haven't received a rejection. No news is usually good news, but this probably just means they haven't got around to sending the NT rejections yet :P
That's what I figured. I just wondered if perhaps someone had received a rejection in the NT subfield. I'm not holding my breath for Emory by any means, I'm just looking for information in the purgatory of waiting for a response. Congrats on the ND interview!

I know that if you are applying for the ThD program at HDS, at least, they require an "abstract of courses," which is an abbreviated list of past classes one has taken (with the course titles and grades received), that are relevant to your intended field of study. This is in the electronic application itself, though, so one wouldn't be able to submit the application without filling it out. I'm not sure what other programs do.

Princeton Seminary does the same thing for their PhD apps.

On my best days, my thesis is my near-constant distraction from the misery of waiting.

On my worst days, the misery of waiting is my near-constant distraction from my thesis.

It's between me, HazelMotes, and probably God which of these two kinds of days I experience most often.

That's what I figured. I just wondered if perhaps someone had received a rejection in the NT subfield. I'm not holding my breath for Emory by any means, I'm just looking for information in the purgatory of waiting for a response. Congrats on the ND interview!

Ya'll (how southern of me)

I applied to Emory's HB program and I haven't gotten a rejection yet either. So far I've only seen 1 person put that they were rejected on the results forum- it doesn't seem "widespread"... yet anyways. I don't know what to think of it. Anyone else hear anything from Emory? Anyone willing to say what sub discipline they were rejected from? JW. thanks.

Also, realistically we will all know pretty soon as their invitation weekend is this weekend so the hatchet will come down probably sooner rather than later.

12_gn22_10.jpg

That's not Isaac, that's my future 

Edited by hbot2013

I applied to Emory's HB program and I haven't gotten a rejection yet either. So far I've only seen 1 person put that they were rejected on the results forum- it doesn't seem "widespread"... yet anyways. I don't know what to think of it. Anyone else hear anything from Emory? Anyone willing to say what sub discipline they were rejected from? JW. thanks.

Also, realistically we will all know pretty soon as their invitation weekend is this weekend so the hatchet will come down probably sooner rather than later.

12_gn22_10.jpg

Haha!

וַיִּשְׁלַ֤ח אַבְרָהָם֙ אֶת־יָד֔וֹ וַיִּקַּ֖ח אֶת־הַֽמַּאֲכֶ֑לֶת לִשְׁחֹ֖ט אֶת־בְּנֽוֹ  

Edited by jdmhotness

12_gn22_10.jpg

The Emory rejection was mine. It was from the American Religious Cultures track.

Well, it indeed appears as if the knife is raised and unless an angel of the Lord appears to stay the hand of Emory's admissions committee many of us will be sacrificed.

In order to pass the time I am reading German and working on articles for presentation and publication. Today's reading is from Luke 18 (from Luther's translation with a few ammendments) and it seemed especially appropriate to read it in light of my present circumstances:

When Emory looked at my application it was said: "Es fehlt dir noch eins."

Da ich aber das hörte, war ich traurig.

Everyone on gradcafe said: "Es ist leichter, daß ein Kamel gehe durch ein Nadelöhr, denn daß ein Mann in Emory komme."

We all think: "Wer kann denn berufstätig werden?"

Yet we believe the words of German Jesus: "Was bei den Menschen unmöglich ist, das ist bei Gott möglich."

I didn't get in to Harvard, I only know because I'm on the inside so to speak. For some reason, I'm rather broken up about it... first world problem maybe?

I know what you mean. Kids are starvin to death and I'm shitting my pants cause I'm compulsively eating too much due to my "seasonal-application-anxiety." It's a fucked up world man. 

Edited by religioustiger

Sorry to hear that :'(. At least you KNOW you will get a PhD though, right?!?!

This is a totally random question, but does the "jdm" in your username refer to "Japanese Domestic Market"? If not, totally disregard. It would be awesome to know that there are other import lovin' car enthusiast theologians out there, though.

This is a totally random question, but does the "jdm" in your username refer to "Japanese Domestic Market"? If not, totally disregard. It would be awesome to know that there are other import lovin' car enthusiast theologians out there, though.

It actually does; so good on ya! I have been into cars most of my life (from my dad). I used to be mostly into mr2s, but since moving around for different schools i've had to resort to driving a camry :P.

You?

It actually does; so good on ya! I have been into cars most of my life (from my dad). I used to be mostly into mr2s, but since moving around for different schools i've had to resort to driving a camry :P.

You?

Haha no way! My ex used to have a few MR2s which is what got me interested. I've seen the engines in and out of those cars more times than I can count.

I drive a supercharged civic si. It's becoming a hassle though due to moving to an urban area for grad school. I'm actually thinking about trading it in soon. I need something a little bigger and something AWD for the weather. I might just get something like a Legacy and wait a few years before getting something really fun again. I suppose it will depend on if I get into any other programs and end up moving again!

Sorry to hear that :'(. At least you KNOW you will get a PhD though, right?!?!

Yeah, I guess it's that anything other than Harvard, isn't Harvard. Even though I'll probably be much happier in a different program and other places are doing things more related to my interests there is the perception, which I've apparently internalized, that any place else is not as good. 

I hear you, 11Q13. As an insider at UVa, I'm all but certain that I didn't make the cut. I realize that the fit was a little off (well, maybe more than a little off. I got my MA from one program but applied to another. The awkwardness is palpable). But it still really stings, having been here for three years.