PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

Yeah, I guess it's that anything other than Harvard, isn't Harvard. Even though I'll probably be much happier in a different program and other places are doing things more related to my interests there is the perception, which I've apparently internalized, that any place else is not as good. 

Is it the Phd or the Thd that unfortunately will not take you?

so, does anyone else expect that this will be the week when the majority of the decisions come down?  i have been looking back through the last few years of results posts, and it looks like the few days before of after the 15th is the critical moment.  this year, those dates could make for some exceptional painful or exuberant holy days.  On the one hand, acceptance could make ash wednesday confession and mourning almost impossible!  how does one sit in sack cloth and ashes on the day she is admitted to a doctoral program?  rejection, on the other hand, could make sack cloth and ashes feel like home!  and how about valentines day?  it doesn't matter if you have a significant other or are completely single with not a friend, rejection will turn the day of love into a day of loathing.  i hope for my wife's sake that i get in or don't know.  i would hate to spoil our special day! 

I didn't get in to Harvard, I only know because I'm on the inside so to speak. For some reason, I'm rather broken up about it... first world problem maybe?

Can you say this with 100% certainty? Or are you hedging? I am always interested when I hear about insider info.

Edited by belichick

Does anyone have any information or heard anything about SMU? I am particularly interested in those who have applied in the NT/Historrical part of the program, which is from what I gather much smaller than their theology program.

Does anyone have any information or heard anything about SMU? I am particularly interested in those who have applied in the NT/Historrical part of the program, which is from what I gather much smaller than their theology program.

I met with the director of the program early last week, and it seemed to me that the committee had not yet made their decision.  He said that they usually have more applications for systematic theology than any other program.  Unlike the other schools, however, they do not divide admission decisions by department since the overall program is so small.  So, NT applications are in the same pool as theology.  He said that they will probably be able to fund five or six students this year.  Good luck!

HI all, I just got an email of acceptance to Loyola Chicago for Integrative Studies in Theology and Ethics.  I'm excited since I hadn't heard from Notre Dame and was worried I wouldn't be accepted anywhere.  It includes full tuition, $18K stipend, and health insurance.  I am hoping to talk more at length with them and learn more.  Anyone else?  Will post on results soon.

HI all, I just got an email of acceptance to Loyola Chicago for Integrative Studies in Theology and Ethics.  I'm excited since I hadn't heard from Notre Dame and was worried I wouldn't be accepted anywhere.  It includes full tuition, $18K stipend, and health insurance.  I am hoping to talk more at length with them and learn more.  Anyone else?  Will post on results soon.

Congrats! We applied to all but one of the same programs in theological ethics. The one program that I didn't apply to that you did is an institution I already attend! You must have good taste :)

I never received an acceptance email from Loyola, though. I was told I would be notified via postal mail. I suppose if you got one though, then I probably didn't make the cut! Congrats, though! That's so exciting!

Congrats! We applied to all but one of the same programs in theological ethics. The one program that I didn't apply to that you did is an institution I already attend! You must have good taste :)

I never received an acceptance email from Loyola, though. I was told I would be notified via postal mail. I suppose if you got one though, then I probably didn't make the cut! Congrats, though! That's so exciting!

which institution do you already attend and have you heard from any others?  BC, ND, etc.?  I actually know the least about Loyola Chicago of all the programs I applied to.  I suspect Duquesne will not contact for a while.

which institution do you already attend and have you heard from any others?  BC, ND, etc.?  I actually know the least about Loyola Chicago of all the programs I applied to.  I suspect Duquesne will not contact for a while.

I'll send you a PM :) I haven't heard from anyone else and as far as I know, no one else has either.

I'm assuming I have an implicit rejection from ND and Loyola because I  know interviews were sent out for ND (and apparently acceptances from Loyola!) but otherwise, I'm refreshing  my e-mail every 2.5 seconds waiting :)

I'll send you a PM :) I haven't heard from anyone else and as far as I know, no one else has either.

I'm assuming I have an implicit rejection from ND and Loyola because I  know interviews were sent out for ND (and apparently acceptances from Loyola!) but otherwise, I'm refreshing  my e-mail every 2.5 seconds waiting :)

thanks.  yeah, pretty disappointed about notre dame.  driving myself and my family crazy.

Does anyone know what the average stipend for doctoral students in religious studies is? Or at least, the range? Many schools don't list their stipend amount on their websites.

I know at Harvard GSAS, they list their typical stipend for the humanities to be $26,796.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/home/content/graduate-school-arts-and-sciences-gsas 

I'm assuming that this is a relatively high number compared to other programs...?