SAIS application for Fall 2013

Hey there everyone! I've been accepted to the SAIS Bologna IDEV program for Fall 2013. I'm deciding between SAIS (great funding) and the Georgetown MA in Global Human Development (no funding). My career goals are in the humanitarian assistance sector, ideally with an NGO though I'm sure I'll move between public, private, and non-profit, as that seems to be the trend nowadays. I have been leaning away from SAIS since the focus seems to be more on quanitative analysis and theory than on project design and implementation, but it's hard to ignore a great funding offer. I'd love any of your opinions on the subject. Thanks a ton!

For IDEV go to SAIS, I think it is next only to HKS for development studies 

Thanks for the info and all the best for the decisions that you are awaiting ! 

Thanks bro! Good luck to you as well.

Just remember that when choosing a grad school, ask yourself 2 questions.  First and foremost, will this school help me to achieve my professional and personal goals?  Second, will I be happy at this school?  It's much easier to figure out the answer to the first while the second is based on your own subjective assessment.  For me, SAIS failed to satisfy both criteria, and as much as I like the academic curriculum, I had to turn it down.  Hopefully, my fellowship money will go to an admitted applicant who is actually excited about attending SAIS and would be happy there.

Just remember that when choosing a grad school, ask yourself 2 questions.  First and foremost, will this school help me to achieve my professional and personal goals?  Second, will I be happy at this school?  It's much easier to figure out the answer to the first while the second is based on your own subjective assessment.  For me, SAIS failed to satisfy both criteria, and as much as I like the academic curriculum, I had to turn it down.  Hopefully, my fellowship money will go to an admitted applicant who is actually excited about attending SAIS and would be happy there.

I think you definitely came to the right conclusion. MIA isn't for you really, just based on what you've written. Hopefully you'll get into a great MBA program and get to experience what your buddies have told you about.

Hopefully, my fellowship money will go to an admitted applicant who is actually excited about attending SAIS and would be happy there.

Does anybody know how this thing works? do they provide assistance to the admitted students who were not given fellowship in the first place or do they simply increase the fellowship amount to existing scholarship holders? 

Does anybody know how this thing works? do they provide assistance to the admitted students who were not given fellowship in the first place or do they simply increase the fellowship amount to existing scholarship holders? 

no, i asked.  they have a metric that goes off of how much money they give vs how many people they expect to decline.  you cant get money that has been "freed" up by someone else declining.  shame really

no, i asked.  they have a metric that goes off of how much money they give vs how many people they expect to decline.  you cant get money that has been "freed" up by someone else declining.  shame really

Ouch. That stinks.

Thanks bro! Good luck to you as well.

I'm glad you figured this out. Wish you well at b-school

(can I get your fellowship? hehe). 

I'm glad you figured this out. Wish you well at b-school

(can I get your fellowship? hehe). 

If it were in my power, I would gladly give my fellowship to an admit who badly wants to attend SAIS and would be happy there and add value to his class.

Yeah, it's good to figure this out before making a boneheaded decision. Even my family and good friends thought I would be miserable and unhappy at SAIS; they're glad I'm turning it down since I would have gotten very little out of it.

Edited by Revolution

Wow. This story is fucking awesome. Can't believe how sick the dating scene is at b-school. Intense 2-year environment of classes, networking, partying, and travelling with super smart, accomplished, and attractive women. *DROOL*

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/01/27/the-eight-immutable-laws-of-mba-dating/

Edited by Revolution

Wow. This story is fucking awesome. Can't believe how sick the dating scene is at b-school. Intense 2-year environment of classes, networking, partying, and travelling with super smart, accomplished, and attractive women. *DROOL*

buffet.jpg

Revolution at the MBA Buffet...awesome!

Edited by riverguide

Your desperation for these "super smart, accomplished, and attractive women" will be so obvious that it'll be a turn-off for them. I dont know you but you seem to be spending money and wasting time on a degree purely based on a fantasy of having tons of sex with women. Its frankly pathetic.

@Revolution:  I'm happy you figured out the best place for you.  And I'm personally glad we won't be crossing paths at SAIS.  I do sincerely wish you the best of luck.

@riverguide: Your post about SAIS women made me laugh out loud in my office... where I really should be working, not agonizing over new gradcafe posts. Thanks for making me smile. 

Your desperation for these "super smart, accomplished, and attractive women" will be so obvious that it'll be a turn-off for them. I dont know you but you seem to be spending money and wasting time on a degree purely based on a fantasy of having tons of sex with women. Its frankly pathetic.

You're wrong again. It's about being in an environment where I can meet people whom I have a lot in common with. All else being equal, I'm much more likely to meet a woman with whom I can relate to, at a top b-school than some random bar. We most likely would have gone to similar top undergrads, have mutual friends, worked in similar jobs, and have similar life aspirations and goals.